The Student Room Group

A Level Spanish choice help

For A levels, I wanted to study Spanish, but on results day, we (the students and teachers) found out that Spanish was suddenly not an option to take. So, we brought it up with the 6th form leaders and said they will 'look into it'. Back to school, we brought it up again, the Head of MFL at our school had multiple meetings about bringing it back on with Senior Leaders of school, however they were persistent in not bringing it back - every time we ask them why there's a new excuse every time. One being because of the staffing - we spoke to 2 of the Spanish teachers, and they both said they had enough time on their timetable to teach the subject. Our parents have rung in to query it and we've emailed the governors as well but nothing seems to be happening. I wouldn't mind if it was a subject we weren't bothered about, but I got a 9 at GCSE for it, I want to study languages at university, we're passionate about Spanish and languages in general (given our Italian roots) and all language teachers encouraged us to do A level Spanish. Is it worth carrying on the pressure of asking them about it in hope they will bring it back or is it too late into the year to continue querying it? Thanks
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by sd12929
For A levels, I wanted to study Spanish, but on results day, we (the students and teachers) found out that Spanish was suddenly not an option to take. So, we brought it up with the 6th form leaders and said they will 'look into it'. Back to school, we brought it up again, the Head of MFL at our school had multiple meetings about bringing it back on with Senior Leaders of school, however they were persistent in not bringing it back - every time we ask them why there's a new excuse every time. One being because of the staffing - we spoke to 2 of the Spanish teachers, and they both said they had enough time on their timetable to teach the subject. Our parents have rung in to query it and we've emailed the governors as well but nothing seems to be happening. I wouldn't mind if it was a subject we weren't bothered about, but I got a 9 at GCSE for it, I want to study languages at university, we're passionate about Spanish and languages in general (given our Italian roots) and all language teachers encouraged us to do A level Spanish. Is it worth carrying on the pressure of asking them about it in hope they will bring it back or is it too late into the year to continue querying it? Thanks

yes, it is absolutely worth it.
Reply 2
Original post by sd12929

are there any cheers near by which offer it, if so and your sixth form doesn't budget you could go there
Reply 3
Original post by Hoc est Bellum

Thanks for your opinion, but we've kept on asking and nothing seems to be developing about it, despite abled students wanting to do it, as well as teachers willing and also wanting to teach it. I asked again today and they now said it is due to "previous performance in languages". How do they know that it's gonna be the same this year? With students achieving grade 8s and 9s at GCSE. It's as though they're trying not to put it on as opposed to helping us with putting it back on, and if not, no assistance with other subjects - they just said "pick another subject" with no inclusion of future aspirations nor what we like and don't like.
Reply 4
Original post by Hoc est Bellum

Thanks for your opinion, but we've kept on asking and nothing seems to be developing about it, despite abled students wanting to do it, as well as teachers willing and also wanting to teach it. I asked again today and they now said it is due to "previous performance in languages". How do they know that it's gonna be the same this year? With students achieving grade 8s and 9s at GCSE. It's as though they're trying not to put it on as opposed to helping us with putting it back on, and if not, no assistance with other subjects - they just said "pick another subject" with no inclusion of future aspirations nor what we like and don't like.

Original post by TD2.718
are there any cheers near by which offer it, if so and your sixth form doesn't budget you could go there

I've had a look at other schools and there's none nearby that offer Spanish unfortunately, and the closest one is quite far away. 6th form so far has been alright, despite Spanish not being there. i've had to swap subjects because of the sudden absence of Spanish, so it's mainly Spanish affecting this. Thanks for your reply, though
That's such a shame because A level MFL subjects are great! They're exceptional in preparing you for university (any degree) and have so much interesting content. :hat2:
Reply 6
Original post by Quick-use
That's such a shame because A level MFL subjects are great! They're exceptional in preparing you for university (any degree) and have so much interesting content.

Yes i know its such a shame to not offer it, especially as it is one of the good subjects to have for not just university, but in general for things like jobs, for example. I dont understand why they're not considering putting the subject back on, since grade 8/9 students and Spanish teachers are wanting to do it, and that me and another student want to study languages at university.

Quick Reply

Latest