History and Politics BA with ABB? HELP!

Watch
ABCABCDDD
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have grades of ABB in Sociology, History and Politics, and I want to study a History and Politics degree. I am reapplying for 2021 now I have my grades as I was downgraded this August and missed out on clearing.

I want to apply to Lancaster (AAB), Warwick (AAA), Exeter (AAB-ABB), Birmingham (AAB) and Sheffield (AAB).

I have received assurances from Lancaster, Birmingham and Sheffield that it is highly likely that I would be offered a place if I were to apply. But, I am worried about applying to Warwick and I don't know if Exeter will make me an offer, especially as the only university I am applying to which even mentions my achieved grades in their main entry requirements is Exeter.

Can anyone provide any assurance that I will get a place with my grades at these universities or give any examples of experiences they have had in applying to these universities with the same grades as me?

Thanks
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ABCABCDDD)
I have grades of ABB in Sociology, History and Politics, and I want to study a History and Politics degree. I am reapplying for 2021 now I have my grades as I was downgraded this August and missed out on clearing.

I want to apply to Lancaster (AAB), Warwick (AAA), Exeter (AAB-ABB), Birmingham (AAB) and Sheffield (AAB).

I have received assurances from Lancaster, Birmingham and Sheffield that it is highly likely that I would be offered a place if I were to apply. But, I am worried about applying to Warwick and I don't know if Exeter will make me an offer, especially as the only university I am applying to which even mentions my achieved grades in their main entry requirements is Exeter.

Can anyone provide any assurance that I will get a place with my grades at these universities or give any examples of experiences they have had in applying to these universities with the same grades as me?

Thanks
Do you like all 5 unis?

Why are you worried about Warwick and Exeter?
ABCABCDDD
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Do you like all 5 unis?

Why are you worried about Warwick and Exeter?
I like all 5 universities, but I am worried that Warwick will not make me an offer as their standard entry requirements for the course I want to take is AAA, and I only have ABB. I know that some other universities with higher entry requirements than the grades I actually achieved have already said that they will reject me upfront. For instance, I contacted Manchester, who require AAB, and they told me that I should not apply as they will be unable to make me an offer on the basis that I am one grade off, but Lancaster have said that I should apply and that they will view my application favourable as I am just one grade off. I'm worried that Exeter and Warwick may reject me on this basis too.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thanks
I assume that you are applying to Exeter on their Penryn campus. Nobody can tell you whether you will get accepted or not although they do tend to be more flexible for Penryn rather than Streatham. The normal offer is AAB. The ABB is a contextual offer if you meet the conditions. As far as Warwick is concerned I suspect you will get rejected but only they know that for certain.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thanks
My son applied to History at Exeter with achieved grades of ABB a few years back (Streatham campus) and got an offer so it is possible. He also got offers from Birmingham, Leeds, Royal Holloway and Southampton even though most of them were asking for AAB.

Warwick is the one least likely to make you an offer obviously but you don't know if you don't apply and it doesn't matter if you only get 3 or 4 offers from 5 choices as you can only attend one uni after all!
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I like all 5 universities, but I am worried that Warwick will not make me an offer as their standard entry requirements for the course I want to take is AAA, and I only have ABB. I know that some other universities with higher entry requirements than the grades I actually achieved have already said that they will reject me upfront. For instance, I contacted Manchester, who require AAB, and they told me that I should not apply as they will be unable to make me an offer on the basis that I am one grade off, but Lancaster have said that I should apply and that they will view my application favourable as I am just one grade off. I'm worried that Exeter and Warwick may reject me on this basis too.
That is still not a reason to "worry". You knew it was a risk to apply there, but if you want to have any chance of getting into Exeter or Warwick then you have to take that chance. Remember that your aim is to get 2+ offers from unis that you like, NOT to get all 5 offers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (170)
14.58%
I'm not sure (54)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (343)
29.42%
I have already dropped out (35)
3%
I'm not a current university student (564)
48.37%

Watched Threads