vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
my CGP textbooks says this abt the wave speed equation. what does it mean?

'Remember, you’re not measuring how fast a physical point (like one molecule of rope) moves. You’re measuring how fast a point on the wave pattern moves. '
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
my CGP textbooks says this abt the wave speed equation. what does it mean?

'Remember, you’re not measuring how fast a physical point (like one molecule of rope) moves. You’re measuring how fast a point on the wave pattern moves. '
tbh it means what it says, if it's a surprising statement you probably need to check your understanding.
in a transverse wave the motion of the particles is 90 degrees to the direction the wave is progressing.e.g. a rubber duck floating in a swimming pool does not shoot across the pool when a wave goes past it... it bobs up and down and so does the water at the surface around it.

if the frequency is kept is kept constant and the amplitude is varied, the top speed of the particles has to be faster when the amplitude is higher because the particles are covering a larger distance in the same amount of time... the wave would be progressing at the same speed regardless of it's amplitude.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (102)
13.33%
I'm not sure (32)
4.18%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (237)
30.98%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (376)
49.15%

Watched Threads