The Student Room Group

Forgot to reference

I forgot to paraphrase and add a reference In the acknowledgment section of my research (the very first page of my thesis).. thinking of doing it later, but forgot!!!!
I pressed the submission button, and then the turinty report highlighted the entire page In purple color,, and it showed 1% taken from the student paper..
am panicking now, dont now how will it effect my marking.. will it be case of pilgrism? I cant afford this blunder.. what shall i do now? Please help..
1% isnt an issue
when you say you "forgot to paraphrase" do you mean you literally copied and pasted??
Original post by Anonymous
I forgot to paraphrase and add a reference In the acknowledgment section of my research (the very first page of my thesis).. thinking of doing it later, but forgot!!!!
I pressed the submission button, and then the turinty report highlighted the entire page In purple color,, and it showed 1% taken from the student paper..
am panicking now, dont now how will it effect my marking.. will it be case of pilgrism? I cant afford this blunder.. what shall i do now? Please help..

Wait so your turnitin was 1%?
1% similarity isn't an issue by itself, but 1% similarity where an entire page is copied and pasted will get spotted and is a problem. You might have forgotten to paraphrase it but by submitting the paper to turnitin you effectively agreed that you didn't forget to.

It is plagiarism, even if it was by accident/due to negligence, and it is a problem. You should contact your supervisor/department and admit you messed up. Hopefully it's obviously out of place so they believe you.
Reply 5
Original post by GabiAbi84
Wait so your turnitin was 1%?

No, its 17% but it shows 1%, 1% percent from diffrent sources, its just this part showed 2%
This is textbook plagiarism. Whether you intended to plagiarise or not, you can probably expect to be penalised for it - the onus is on you to properly cite work that isn't your own.
Reply 7
Original post by tommy988
when you say you "forgot to paraphrase" do you mean you literally copied and pasted??

Yes 😭
No, its 17% but it shows 1%, 1% percent from diffrent sources, its just this part showed 2%

Yes this is plagiarism-intended or not, that’s what’s it is. The consequences depend on your course, your history and level.

Have you had any issues like this before?
What level is it for?
Reply 9
Original post by GabiAbi84
Yes this is plagiarism-intended or not, that’s what’s it is. The consequences depend on your course, your history and level.

Have you had any issues like this before?
What level is it for?

Its for my masters degree
Yes 😭

well yeah that is plagiarism, not sure how you could get out of that one
Normally, when you plagiarise for the first time, they just pull you up on it and give you a warning. If you keep on doing it, then it goes to disciplinary, but you should be ok with just this once.
Reply 12
Email the faculty and tell them you forgot to add a reference and ask to amend it. It's not normally a big deal and i see no reason why they wouldnt let you add a footnote.
Reply 13
Original post by Moana92
Normally, when you plagiarise for the first time, they just pull you up on it and give you a warning. If you keep on doing it, then it goes to disciplinary, but you should be ok with just this once.

Not entirely true. It not only varies between universities but on the level of offending. Not attributing a single quote might get you a rap on the knuckles, as you said, but flagrantly ignoring it will get you zeroed on the paper/module and possibly worse.

Quick Reply

Latest