Will Yeung
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am planning to go live in Japan in the future so I am deciding to study Japanese at university. My plan is to go on the JET programme after university and in hopes to become a future freelance/industry translator. However, I would like to study other East-Asian languages in the future like Chinese and Korean alongside Japanese further down the line so it would make my skills more refined and valued in the industry! My question arises from a course at the University of Leeds. They do a 5-year Chinese and Japanese course (compared to a 4-year Japanese course) so I was wondering if I could kill two birds with one stone and study both languages at an intermediate level? I haven't factored in work levels and the determination required but I was wondering if it would be better to focus on one language and then study another language after?
Last edited by Will Yeung; 1 month ago
forest3261
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It really depends on your level of motivation to be honest. It is definitely possible to study both. However, it will be difficult - Leeds' entry requirements are AAA and make no secret of how intensive the course is. You will need to find the motivation and time to study both, and maintain one whilst living in the country of the other. If you can do that, go for it

Having studied Japanese and French at uni, I can tell you now that Japanese alone is very difficult since it is so different from English.

One of Leed Uni's translation lecturers has a degree in Chinese and Japanese from Leeds, so I would check out his profile. He teaches translation for both languages
Will Yeung
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by forest3261)
It really depends on your level of motivation to be honest. It is definitely possible to study both. However, it will be difficult - Leeds' entry requirements are AAA and make no secret of how intensive the course is. You will need to find the motivation and time to study both, and maintain one whilst living in the country of the other. If you can do that, go for it

Having studied Japanese and French at uni, I can tell you now that Japanese alone is very difficult since it is so different from English.

One of Leed Uni's translation lecturers has a degree in Chinese and Japanese from Leeds, so I would check out his profile. He teaches translation for both languages
That was the only thing holding me back from choosing the C&J course, my motivation!! Thank you so much. Do you know how I would be able to find his profile?
Last edited by Will Yeung; 3 weeks ago
forest3261
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Will Yeung)
That was the only thing holding me back from choosing the C&J course, my motivation!! Thank you so much. Do you know how I would be able to find his profile?
Here it is:

https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/languages/st...dr-martin-ward

Don't hesitate to contact the department and ask about the course as they can give a really helpful insight. Remember, it will be hard, but it's definitely possible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (131)
14.7%
I'm not sure (40)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (268)
30.08%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.47%
I'm not a current university student (430)
48.26%

Watched Threads