The Student Room Group

Access course then degree apprenticeship?

I just completed an access course but due to pandemic and mess up of grades I received my results too late and university was no longer able to reserve my place In the course.

Is it possible to get into an apprenticeship instead with an access course I don’t want to be doing nothing at all this year I’ve been looking at entry requirements for a few apprenticeships and they require A levels but would they accept access courses? I was told Access courses are equivalent to a levels does anyone know if I can apply to apprenticeships with my access course qualification.

Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
I just completed an access course but due to pandemic and mess up of grades I received my results too late and university was no longer able to reserve my place In the course.

Is it possible to get into an apprenticeship instead with an access course I don’t want to be doing nothing at all this year I’ve been looking at entry requirements for a few apprenticeships and they require A levels but would they accept access courses? I was told Access courses are equivalent to a levels does anyone know if I can apply to apprenticeships with my access course qualification.

Thanks

Depends on the employer, they can say yay or nay.
The only thing about degree apprenticeships is be in it for the long term, the degree is what they want you to do and study is at a place of their choice.
Original post by Anonymous

Thanks

Hi there,

Access courses, as I'm sure you know, are traditionally designed to help people get to university. If you're applying for a degree apprenticeship, the requirements for that will be set by whichever university is involved in the apprenticeship and they will most likely accept an access course if it's relevant. In the advert for the apprenticeship, they'll usually state who the college/university is, you could then check on their website or get in touch with them to check, it could save you a lot of time in filling out applications. But, as long as the access course is in a relevant subject, I don't see any reason they wouldn't be able to consider you.

Bear in mind, of course, that if you want to apply for intermediate or advanced (levels 2 or 3) apprenticeships, you will probably already meet the requirements without the access course.

Best of luck!
Reply 3
Hi, did you ever find anywhere? I've had a lot of providers of engineering degree apprenticeships say an Engineering Access to HE diploma wouldn't be accepted and I'd still need to do 2 A-Levels.
Original post by Zacons
Hi, did you ever find anywhere? I've had a lot of providers of engineering degree apprenticeships say an Engineering Access to HE diploma wouldn't be accepted and I'd still need to do 2 A-Levels.
That is really strange. Access courses are equivalent to 3 A levels so I am very confused as to why they would not accept you. I am doing a Criminology Access to HE course and applying for legal apprenticeships. The training providers (universities) have told me that it is fine as long as I pass with enough UCAS points. I would suggest speaking to the providers and getting an explanation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending