Are art degrees "worth" anything today?

Watch
framsay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I guess it's an age old question, but I'm considering getting my bachelors in illustration, and just have to wonder if it's really "worth" it.

I mean a few things by worth:
- Monetary - Could the average person ever really earn back the tens of thousands spent on getting an art degree?
- Employability - Do art degrees really improve employability? Or is skill with or without a degree a much more important deciding factor?
- Skill - How much skill can you gain from an art course? How much is there you need to learn from getting a degree that you can't get from real world experience, the internet, alternate education, etc.?
- Personal - Do the postive social aspects like starting your life as an indivdual away from home, friends and industry connections outweigh the emotional turmoil of loneliness, anxiety, etc.? (Applies to uni as a whole more than art specifically)

Please weigh in with what you think!
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In my experience as someone who did a creative undergraduate degree..

The degree is worth very little, it’s only real use, unless you want to study further, is to stop you from being filtered out by jobs that put a degree as their essential requirement.

But.. the skills and connections that you learn can be really really valuable. What that means though is that the students who just focus on getting a good grade and don’t do a lot else, tend to fail after they graduate in creative disciplines, but the students who do loads of their own projects, collaborations, get involved with everything that’s going on, build connections, etc. Have a chance of doing well after.

That means it’s a bit of a balancing act because you need to pass your course, but equally most of the things that will help you to succeed aren’t on the syllabus.

Really the most valuable thing that a degree gives to creative people is 3-4 years where they can focus entirely on developing themselves creatively.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by framsay)
I guess it's an age old question, but I'm considering getting my bachelors in illustration, and just have to wonder if it's really "worth" it.

- Monetary - Could the average person ever really earn back the tens of thousands spent on getting an art degree?
- Employability - Do art degrees really improve employability? Or is skill with or without a degree a much more important deciding factor?
- Skill - How much skill can you gain from an art course? How much is there you need to learn from getting a degree that you can't get from real world experience, the internet, alternate education, etc.?
- Personal - Do the postive social aspects like starting your life as an indivdual away from home, friends and industry connections outweigh the emotional turmoil of loneliness, anxiety, etc.? (Applies to uni as a whole more than art specifically)

UK student loans aren't really loans, so I wouldn't worry too much about the cost.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by framsay)

They were never worth anything in terms of money.
Ramipril
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Much like any degree, it depends on what you end up doing in the long run. If, a few years down the line, you can look at your life and say your degree was still worth it to you, then it was worth something to your life. If you can't say there was any point doing it looking back and it didn't add much to your life, then it was probably a waste of time and money.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.53%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.23%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.72%

Watched Threads