IslaAphrodite
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Good morning everyone,

I was wondering if it might be possible for me to have a realistic chance at Durham? I only attained 999996443 at GCSE (at a state grammar, but I was top 50% of my year if not slightly higher; the 9s are in humanities with the 6, 4s and 3 being maths, sciences and art) but went on to achieve A*A*A*A at A level in English Literature, Politics, Drama and History, which made me the top student in the school (alongside the fact no one has achieved an A* in English previously). With this in mind, might Durham be worth a shot as I already hold grades that exceed the entry requirements? I did get an offer last year when predicted A*A*AA, but I'm aware competition changes year on year and it may be more competitive this year.

Thank you for any insight.
Last edited by IslaAphrodite; 1 month ago
HedgePig
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why on earth would you NOT apply to Durham with those grades? You’ve worked hard, you have the brains, you have the results: don’t undersell yourself now. You should be applying to Oxbridge too.

You will still have another 3 UCAS places. Really, those are great results and I don’t think would preclude you from anywhere.
IslaAphrodite
Rep:
?
(Original post by HedgePig)
Why on earth would you NOT apply to Durham with those grades? You’ve worked hard, you have the brains, you have the results: don’t undersell yourself now. You should be applying to Oxbridge too.

You will still have another 3 UCAS places. Really, those are great results and I don’t think would preclude you from anywhere.
Okay, thank you - you're more enthusiastic about my grades than I am! I am also considering Cambridge too (hearing that they have less of an emphasis on GCSEs than Oxford?). Very true - currently I intend to apply to St Andrews, York and Lancaster - would any of these be deemed underselling myself? Thank you.
HedgePig
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m definitely not an expert but it doesn’t look like you are underselling yourself

I’ve also heard that Cambridge place less emphasis on GCSE’s than Oxford, although I don’t know how true that it is. I think the only reason not to apply Cambridge is if you definitely do not want to go there. Of course it’s a bit of a risk (Oxbridge always is) but with your marks, I think you are taking no more risk than anyone else.

I made that remark about not underselling yourself because your first post seemed to indicate that you felt Durham was a big reach (even though you’d been accepted previously!)

Good luck - and remember to post back in a few months and let us know what happened.
IslaAphrodite
Rep:
?
(Original post by HedgePig)
I’m definitely not an expert but it doesn’t look like you are underselling yourself

I’ve also heard that Cambridge place less emphasis on GCSE’s than Oxford, although I don’t know how true that it is. I think the only reason not to apply Cambridge is if you definitely do not want to go there. Of course it’s a bit of a risk (Oxbridge always is) but with your marks, I think you are taking no more risk than anyone else.

I made that remark about not underselling yourself because your first post seemed to indicate that you felt Durham was a big reach (even though you’d been accepted previously!)

Good luck - and remember to post back in a few months and let us know what happened.
Okay, thank you for your help. Cambridge, Durham, St Andrews, York, Lancaster it is then! Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (184)
14.23%
I'm not sure (59)
4.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (380)
29.39%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.86%
I'm not a current university student (633)
48.96%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise