My dad is homophobic

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I wasn't raised to treat everyone as equal and my dad has always had a dim view on homosexuality. But as I grew older I started to accept people who are different than me and have met some really nice gay guys and been to a couple of pride events, which my dad doesn't know about. While we sat in the living room yesterday, eating dinner and watching TV, two gay guys appeared on screen and began kissing. A look of disgust appeared on my dad's face, but I couldn't help but notice he was reaching for the remote to turn over to another channel. It really upsets me that I'm related to someone like him, but he is still my dad. How do I get him to accept people like I did?
shak101
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I wasn't raised to treat everyone as equal and my dad has always had a dim view on homosexuality. But as I grew older I started to accept people who are different than me and have met some really nice gay guys and been to a couple of pride events, which my dad doesn't know about. While we sat in the living room yesterday, eating dinner and watching TV, two gay guys appeared on screen and began kissing. A look of disgust appeared on my dad's face, but I couldn't help but notice he was reaching for the remote to turn over to another channel. It really upsets me that I'm related to someone like him, but he is still my dad. How do I get him to accept people like I did?
Why does it matter? Are you gay? If not, it probably isn't worth it tbh
Anonymous #1
(Original post by shak101)
Why does it matter? Are you gay? If not, it probably isn't worth it tbh
No, I am heterosexual. But it matters because I can't introduce my gay friends to my family. I know that if I could get my dad to change his views, it would make our family much more happy.
papie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
nothing wrong with it
Anonymous #1
(Original post by papie)
nothing wrong with it
With what? Homosexuality or homophobia?
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by papie)
nothing wrong with it
With homosexuality or homophobia?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Bio 7)
I literally just asked the same question.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I literally just asked the same question.
Your post showed when I posted mine, not a surprise it was being asked more than once.
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
how is switching the channel with 2 gay people kissing homophobia?

If a gay pop-up ad appears on screen and a straight guy quickly closes it is he homophobic too?
shak101
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, I am heterosexual. But it matters because I can't introduce my gay friends to my family. I know that if I could get my dad to change his views, it would make our family much more happy.
How would it make your family happy? Is anyone else in the family upset by this or is it just you? Whilst I get where your coming from, it's pretty hard to change bigoted thinking - and it may not be worth straining your relationship with your dad over
cloud_9_
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ANM775)

If a gay pop-up ad appears on screen and a straight guy quickly closes it is he homophobic too?
that's a good point
Anonymous #1

His attitude was the problem, hence the homophobia. Look, you don't know my dad. He would never defend a gay person, even if it turned out to be his own son, my brother is not gay but I used that as an example. My dad hates gay people and doesn't wish to engage with any of them. He believes prides are pointless and often uses the offensive words to describe them.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
His attitude was the problem, hence the homophobia. Look, you don't know my dad. He would never defend a gay person, even if it turned out to be his own son, my brother is not gay but I used that as an example. My dad hates gay people and doesn't wish to engage with any of them. He believes prides are pointless and often uses the offensive words to describe them.
Support for gay people is rising, but support is highest with white people

https://www.pewresearch.org/wp-conte...17/06/1_31.png

and higher education levels:

https://www.pewresearch.org/wp-conte...017/06/1_8.png

and also younger age groups (although this chart is 5 years out of date)
https://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-co...1-25-48-AM.png

what race is your dad? what's his education level? whats his age?

If you took all those factors into consideration then possibly his opinion would not be that surprising, as 5 years ago lots of the older age group still opposed it (can't find any more recent stats on age groups)
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Theres somewhat of a difference between actively hating homosexuals and just being decidedly uncomfortable with them, how do you know your dad doesnt simply fall into the latter?
Either way, you can always simply ask him his opinion on the matter and have a chin wag. Then again, given your comment about being ashamed to be related to him i'm questioning whether he's really the one at fault here.
Strawberry Shark
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey anon, I can understand why you're feeling upset, even though some others here don't get it. Regardless of your own sexuality, I believe that it is worth educating others as more people are coming to terms with themselves, and you become more likely to encounter people who aren't cishet (cisgender or heterosexual). By teaching others to be kind, you help make the world a safer place for those like myself.
It's not your fault that you are unhappy with his views, and I am very proud that you have learned to accept and respect others who are different than the "normal" which is plastered all over the media and everywhere you go. I hope that one day you can get your dad to understand, you got this!
Justvisited
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It really upsets me that I'm related to someone like him
=> You're the one with the real issues.
Strawberry Shark
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Justvisited)
=> You're the one with the real issues.
eww imagine thinking like this :shifty:
Keep your head up anon and don't listen to these jerks.
papie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

i would close it asap
papie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
homophobia
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How do you think your dad would react to you introducing a gay friend? It could just be one of those topics you dont bring up in the house, most families have one or two topics like that. Its unfortunate but probably not the biggest deal as its not actively affecting you as a heterosexual.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (57)
15.04%
I'm not sure (14)
3.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (129)
34.04%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.58%
I'm not a current university student (173)
45.65%

Watched Threads