The Student Room Group

PGDE - Degree specificity/ top up courses?

Hi everyone,

I'll hopefully be applying to Strathclyde and Glasgow for PGDE in Business Education.

I've been working since getting my masters in 2011 (this forum makes me feel very old!) but have always wanted to teach and would like to finally go for it this year.

Struggling a bit with the relevance of my degree. I have an MSc Marketing from Strathclyde which is obviously under the business umbrella but both Glasgow and Strathclyde seem to ask for specific credits in accounting & finance, economics and business management. A large part of my course for example was commercial finance but shows on my transcript as "business analysis" and wondered how specific they need it to be.

I've been in touch with both unis and still not been given a conclusive response.

Has anyone been in a similar position and if so was there some kind of top up course/ way of making sure the box for these credits were ticked before you applied?
Reply 1
Original post by sjfraser
Hi everyone,

I'll hopefully be applying to Strathclyde and Glasgow for PGDE in Business Education.

I've been working since getting my masters in 2011 (this forum makes me feel very old!) but have always wanted to teach and would like to finally go for it this year.

Struggling a bit with the relevance of my degree. I have an MSc Marketing from Strathclyde which is obviously under the business umbrella but both Glasgow and Strathclyde seem to ask for specific credits in accounting & finance, economics and business management. A large part of my course for example was commercial finance but shows on my transcript as "business analysis" and wondered how specific they need it to be.

I've been in touch with both unis and still not been given a conclusive response.

Has anyone been in a similar position and if so was there some kind of top up course/ way of making sure the box for these credits were ticked before you applied?

Just in case anyone finds is in a similar situation, I've been in touch with Glasgow and Strathclyde and the summary is that you'll need to do individual courses in each of the required subjects. In addition to that, you'll need an IT certificate regardless of how involved you are with computers in your day-to-day.
They will probably ask you about it in your interview - where you will be able to elaborate about what you feel you know and don't know. Having been taught it 10 years ago doesn't necessarily mean you can rattle it off now (though of course a lot of it you will probably be able to recall quite easily) so they will just want a sense of where you're up to on the subject knowledge side. You won't be rejected pre-interview based on degree relevance. :smile:

Quick Reply