GillisRobbieWGS
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Obviously the answer is you can apply wherever you damn well please, but I guess the question I'm really asking is what are your chances of even getting an interview with these predicted grades?

Obviously there are other factors like your PS, your SAQ, your reference etc
Help me out here

Thanks in advance
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
for whatever reason Cambs do seem to need a set of straight A's plus - I'll switch to a stable european EBAC, 0-100% scale (for simplicity)
I did get Oxford to say that they would allow, probably, an international baccalaurate with around 85% (average score is 75%)
Cambridge have *not accepted* friends who got 95% in the baccalaurate, but it does depend on the subject, the interview etc etc
Oxford (for languages) said that if you feel you should apply, then do so

Some (rare) subjects at Ox/Cambs don't have a requirement for the tests MLAT/HAT/PAT/etc , are they a 'backdoor' for oligarch kids? - I wonder.....
15Characters...
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GillisRobbieWGS)
Obviously the answer is you can apply wherever you damn well please, but I guess the question I'm really asking is what are your chances of even getting an interview with these predicted grades?

Help me out here

Thanks in advance
I can't give you some sort of % odds of getting an interview with those grades, but as you are aware they are well below the entry requirements so pre-interview rejection is a real possibility.
Deggs_14
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. A very small minority of courses have AAA as minimum grades, something like fine art, but then a lot more emphasis is placed on the interview processes and your portfolio of work / essays etc. You need at least 1A* at the very minimum. But application this year will be the most competitive it’s ever been due to the coronavirus as more international applicants, gap year or second time applicants apply as well.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I remember a thread from you ages ago about getting an unfair B prediction. Weren't you doing mocks to boost it?
GillisRobbieWGS
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
I remember a thread from you ages ago about getting an unfair B prediction. Weren't you doing mocks to boost it?
Yep. We've had our mocks now and AAB are the grades I got. I've been told unless I had at least AAA that I wasn't allowed to apply to Cambridge because it "Would be a waste of a UCAS space"

It's literally my history grade now though. We were given a source question and I followed all the instructions that I hadn't realised I was missing from my essays. My classmate marked it with the help from my teacher and I got 22/30 which would have been an A and then my teacher marked it and I got 15/30 which is C borderline D. But then she was saying that my arguments were well structured and coherent but I hadn't argued the other side about the sources' convincingness. I think it's unfair that I got marked down so harshly but I'm going to re do it to see if I am capable of it (I know I am, both my essay subject teachers say that I write brilliantly) I just need to learn how to jump through the examiner's hoops so to speak.
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Help me out here

Thanks in advance
If these are A Level predictions, then it is comparatively unlikely that you would be called for interview, I'm afraid. There are some circumstances where you might be called. For example:
- if your predicted grades are not reflective of your current level of attainment, as evidenced by a pre-interview Admissions Assessment
- if you have extenuating circumstances, as evidenced by a form completed by your teacher, which means you have lower grades now but they are confident you have the potential to improve by next summer

You grades are either two or three grades below the typical offer, depending on the subject you wish to study, so you do not have the most competitive application at this stage.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yep. We've had our mocks now and AAB are the grades I got. I've been told unless I had at least AAA that I wasn't allowed to apply to Cambridge because it "Would be a waste of a UCAS space"

It's literally my history grade now though. We were given a source question and I followed all the instructions that I hadn't realised I was missing from my essays. My classmate marked it with the help from my teacher and I got 22/30 which would have been an A and then my teacher marked it and I got 15/30 which is C borderline D. But then she was saying that my arguments were well structured and coherent but I hadn't argued the other side about the sources' convincingness. I think it's unfair that I got marked down so harshly but I'm going to re do it to see if I am capable of it (I know I am, both my essay subject teachers say that I write brilliantly) I just need to learn how to jump through the examiner's hoops so to speak.
Peterhouse have given you some very sound advice. If you learn how to "jump through the examiner's hoops" in the next few months and significantly exceed your current predictions, then you could consider a gap year and an application with achieved grades.
GillisRobbieWGS
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Peterhouse have given you some very sound advice. If you learn how to "jump through the examiner's hoops" in the next few months and significantly exceed your current predictions, then you could consider a gap year and an application with achieved grades.
I'm going to take that advice.

Thank you for all your help every one
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.2%
I'm not sure (59)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (375)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (623)
48.86%

Watched Threads