NatashaHoolash
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi!i will be studying Psychology as undergraduate soon but i would like to persue a career path towards neurosceince/neurology.i was wondering if it is possible for me to work in neurology by starting with an undergraduate in psychology.
i was tinking a post graduate in neuropsychology and then go into med school.
Also is it possible to get into medicine (eg postgraduate in medicine) somehow with a psychology degree?thank you !
I forgot to add that the reason why i am not going directly into medicine is because at a level i did not take biology, so most unis would not accept me. I took Chemistry, Psychology and French.
Last edited by NatashaHoolash; 3 weeks ago
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Would you be better off doing a medicine degree to start with rather than psychology?

You can do graduate medicine with a prior degree, but I imagine it has to be science-based at least and you'd need relevant work experience
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ecolier is a neurologist and I'm sure will be happy to encourage more into his field It's worth noting several distinctions however. Neuroscience is not the same as neurology, and both are separate fields psychology.

Neurology is a medical specialty and thus requires a medical degree. If you want to go into neurology (or become a physician or surgeon or GP etc) and that is your main aim then you would be best off aiming to get into a medicine course to start with rather than looking at going into medicine as a graduate. This is because your two options then are graduate entry medicine (GEM) which is more competitive than standard entry medicine, or standard entry medicine as a graduate, which has much less funding available as a second degree and is a very significant personal financial commitment as a result.

Neuroscience is an academic field studying the brain and cognition. It is primarily a bioscience field. It's not a "job" as such, and to "be" a neuroscientist more or less implies you are an academic and thus you would need to get a PhD in the area minimally and go the usual academic route of postdoc/research assistant/associate onwards. You would probably have a suitable background for most neuroscience PhD projects from a medical degree. A psychology degree may not have sufficient neurobiology content for some neuroscience PhD projects.

Psychology is an academic field and also a clinical/professional vocation unto itself. To become a clinical psychologist however requires you to get onto and complete a DClinPsy, which are extremely competitive to get onto. You also require a BPS accredited degree for that route (and similar professional roles in psychology e.g. forensic psychology), which would normally be an undergraduate degree but might also be a "conversion" masters course. Noodlzzz might be able to advise more on the psychology and neuroscience side of things.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A few things:

1) yes you can do grad entry medicine with a psych degree
2) why not just go into medicine to start with?
3) You can take neuroscience modules or even as joint honours with psych - my UCL degree was VERY neuroscience heavy and that was straight BSc psych not join
MadameRazz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
why would you want to do an undergrad and a postgrad before going to med school? just go to med school? right? sorry you’ve confused me.
Sroy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
A few things:

1) yes you can do grad entry medicine with a psych degree
2) why not just go into medicine to start with?
3) You can take neuroscience modules or even as joint honours with psych - my UCL degree was VERY neuroscience heavy and that was straight BSc psych not join
hey, I'm not from a science background but I'd like to go to grad school in the US for psychology - cognitive primarily - the requirements there is an undergrad in science -which included psychology - and then 1-2 experience working in a lab. As I don't have an undergrad in psychology I'm thinking about going for a master's conversion course in psychology but I wanted to know what the path for phd looks like from there? are students able to secure experience i.e. lab assistant for 1-2 years? in the states they get an opportunity to help in labs after their undergrad n then go for grad school so I was wondering that after conversion degree will I be able to get experience - assisting in labs for 1-2 years so that then I can apply for grad school in the US?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sroy)
hey, I'm not from a science background but I'd like to go to grad school in the US for psychology - cognitive primarily - the requirements there is an undergrad in science -which included psychology - and then 1-2 experience working in a lab. As I don't have an undergrad in psychology I'm thinking about going for a master's conversion course in psychology but I wanted to know what the path for phd looks like from there? are students able to secure experience i.e. lab assistant for 1-2 years? in the states they get an opportunity to help in labs after their undergrad n then go for grad school so I was wondering that after conversion degree will I be able to get experience - assisting in labs for 1-2 years so that then I can apply for grad school in the US?
The US's system is very different to the UK system and this forum is majority UK-based. You are unlikely to find people who can tell you about the US system for US grad schools and how their training works. US degrees themselves are very different, as they often do more subjects than you do in the UK
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.41%
I'm not sure (59)
4.7%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (367)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (612)
48.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed