Durham University catered vs. self-catered

Watch
danhuggins1102
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Is it better to apply to a catered or self-catered college at Durham University?
Ray3RE
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by danhuggins1102)
Is it better to apply to a catered or self-catered college at Durham University?
Hey, I'm applying this year as well and I'm choosing SC because I personally enjoy cooking and prefer it, so I think it would depend on your preferences. You can probably tell which would suit you more based on your current lifestyle right now(for instance do you cook a lot, what times do you eat etc.) Also catered is more expensive but you would be buying your own food if SC so that is something to consider.
A current student will probably be more helpful but hope I helped a little.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/experience/colleges/catering/ (More on the differences and each one)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=2406034 (Thread from some years ago asking same question)
Panjsuce
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I remember seeing the catered food from Durham on someone’s socials and it looked appalling; safe to say the uni wasn’t for them and dropped out however. You might like it though? Bland, dry and uncultured food - if that’s for you
Anonymous #1
Report 3 months ago
One or two colleges have their own catering apparently so the food should be better but idk how true that is
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
Generally, the self-catered colleges are newer and more modern, if that's something which you are looking for. The self-catered colleges, to my knowledge, have all or almost all ensuite rooms, so you won't have to share a bathroom with other people. The fees for self-catered are lower, but depending on how much you spend on food, you may end up paying more in total than at a catered college.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (158)
59.4%
I don't have everything I need (108)
40.6%

Watched Threads