The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Need help regarding applying to the KCL Bio/Chem Foundation Year!

Hi! I'm 21 in December, and I've been working in Marketing for the past 3 years (started as an apprentice and worked my way up). I quit my job just before covid as I realised I didn't want a marketing career.

I am studying my A-Levels independently. I've paid an accredited exam centre and will, by next August, have A-Levels in Biology, Chemistry, and Psychology. I am academically apt and have no problem with the course content.

I want to pursue Biomedical Sciences as a Bsc, then go on to do a Masters in Neuroscience. My goal is to research Paediatric Migraine and for this reason I would like to go to KCL.

My only issue is that of course I do not have A-Levels yet and can't apply for 2021 intake. So, I was looking at the Foundation Year instead, for two reasons:

1) because entry requirements are lower (BBB)
2) it would enable me to acclimate to formal education once again

The deadline is March 2021. I will be taking accredited AQA mock exams at a real exam centre in January 2021.

Will I be able to use these grades to apply for the Foundation Year? They are not the same as "predicted grades" (as they do not encompass a student's attendance, historical attainment, etc.). I can't find any information about this at all on the King's website.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I do intend to call the King's admissions office for advice but thought it best to ask around here first.
(edited 3 years ago)
Well if your results come in before the deadline set by KCL then yes you can. Or else you will have to use predicted!

And btw I just started my degree at KCL haha
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by bored_user:)
Well if your results come in before the deadline set by KCL then yes you can. Or else you will have to use predicted!

And btw I just started my degree at KCL haha

Afaik, the deadline for the foundation year is March. And the grades I get in January are not predicted in the traditional sense (I have no teacher, I'm learning alone), but will be single grades I get from taking a real exam at an AQA Accredited exam centre. Do you think this will be sufficient or will I likely need to speak to them on an individual basis regardless?
Original post by taylora3_
Afaik, the deadline for the foundation year is March. And the grades I get in January are not predicted in the traditional sense (I have no teacher, I'm learning alone), but will be single grades I get from taking a real exam at an AQA Accredited exam centre. Do you think this will be sufficient or will I likely need to speak to them on an individual basis regardless?

Just send them an email asking them. That would be better tbh. But I was homeschooled and my Center gave me grades? So I don't know why yours won't? My Center even wrote my reference lol
Reply 4
Just send them an email asking them. That would be better tbh. But I was homeschooled and my Center gave me grades? So I don't know why yours won't? My Center even wrote my reference lol

It seems that's the way forward. And yeah, I was pretty pissed off about it, I can't lie. I asked specifically why they wouldn't predict me grades/give a reference and they gave me a page long email saying I wasn't enrolled/at a school so they couldn't, in good faith, offer a reference on my behalf. I see their reasoning but still... I'd happily pay someone to look over my work! They didn't even want to hear it... :frown:
It seems that's the way forward. And yeah, I was pretty pissed off about it, I can't lie. I asked specifically why they wouldn't predict me grades/give a reference and they gave me a page long email saying I wasn't enrolled/at a school so they couldn't, in good faith, offer a reference on my behalf. I see their reasoning but still... I'd happily pay someone to look over my work! They didn't even want to hear it... :frown:

wow... that sucks... if you dont mind me asking are you from london? cause the center where I sat my exams is in London!!
Reply 6
wow... that sucks... if you dont mind me asking are you from london? cause the center where I sat my exams is in London!!

I'm not, although I was working there until recently! My exam centre is in Durham because I've moved up North again for a year to get my A-Levels done - the cost of living is just immeasurably cheaper. It'll be worth it, I'm hoping!
I'm not, although I was working there until recently! My exam centre is in Durham because I've moved up North again for a year to get my A-Levels done - the cost of living is just immeasurably cheaper. It'll be worth it, I'm hoping!

yeah hopefully!! good luck mate!! I cant wait to meet you at Kings!!

Quick Reply

Latest