Need help regarding applying to the KCL Bio/Chem Foundation Year!

Watch
taylora3_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi! I'm 21 in December, and I've been working in Marketing for the past 3 years (started as an apprentice and worked my way up). I quit my job just before covid as I realised I didn't want a marketing career.

I am studying my A-Levels independently. I've paid an accredited exam centre and will, by next August, have A-Levels in Biology, Chemistry, and Psychology. I am academically apt and have no problem with the course content.

I want to pursue Biomedical Sciences as a Bsc, then go on to do a Masters in Neuroscience. My goal is to research Paediatric Migraine and for this reason I would like to go to KCL.

My only issue is that of course I do not have A-Levels yet and can't apply for 2021 intake. So, I was looking at the Foundation Year instead, for two reasons:

1) because entry requirements are lower (BBB)
2) it would enable me to acclimate to formal education once again

The deadline is March 2021. I will be taking accredited AQA mock exams at a real exam centre in January 2021.

Will I be able to use these grades to apply for the Foundation Year? They are not the same as "predicted grades" (as they do not encompass a student's attendance, historical attainment, etc.). I can't find any information about this at all on the King's website.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I do intend to call the King's admissions office for advice but thought it best to ask around here first.
Last edited by taylora3_; 2 months ago
bored_user:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Well if your results come in before the deadline set by KCL then yes you can. Or else you will have to use predicted!

And btw I just started my degree at KCL haha
taylora3_
Rep:
?
(Original post by bored_user:))
Well if your results come in before the deadline set by KCL then yes you can. Or else you will have to use predicted!

And btw I just started my degree at KCL haha
Afaik, the deadline for the foundation year is March. And the grades I get in January are not predicted in the traditional sense (I have no teacher, I'm learning alone), but will be single grades I get from taking a real exam at an AQA Accredited exam centre. Do you think this will be sufficient or will I likely need to speak to them on an individual basis regardless?
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by taylora3_)
Afaik, the deadline for the foundation year is March. And the grades I get in January are not predicted in the traditional sense (I have no teacher, I'm learning alone), but will be single grades I get from taking a real exam at an AQA Accredited exam centre. Do you think this will be sufficient or will I likely need to speak to them on an individual basis regardless?
Just send them an email asking them. That would be better tbh. But I was homeschooled and my Center gave me grades? So I don't know why yours won't? My Center even wrote my reference lol
taylora3_
Rep:
?
Just send them an email asking them. That would be better tbh. But I was homeschooled and my Center gave me grades? So I don't know why yours won't? My Center even wrote my reference lol
It seems that's the way forward. And yeah, I was pretty pissed off about it, I can't lie. I asked specifically why they wouldn't predict me grades/give a reference and they gave me a page long email saying I wasn't enrolled/at a school so they couldn't, in good faith, offer a reference on my behalf. I see their reasoning but still... I'd happily pay someone to look over my work! They didn't even want to hear it...
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It seems that's the way forward. And yeah, I was pretty pissed off about it, I can't lie. I asked specifically why they wouldn't predict me grades/give a reference and they gave me a page long email saying I wasn't enrolled/at a school so they couldn't, in good faith, offer a reference on my behalf. I see their reasoning but still... I'd happily pay someone to look over my work! They didn't even want to hear it...
wow... that sucks... if you dont mind me asking are you from london? cause the center where I sat my exams is in London!!
taylora3_
Rep:
?
wow... that sucks... if you dont mind me asking are you from london? cause the center where I sat my exams is in London!!
I'm not, although I was working there until recently! My exam centre is in Durham because I've moved up North again for a year to get my A-Levels done - the cost of living is just immeasurably cheaper. It'll be worth it, I'm hoping!
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm not, although I was working there until recently! My exam centre is in Durham because I've moved up North again for a year to get my A-Levels done - the cost of living is just immeasurably cheaper. It'll be worth it, I'm hoping!
yeah hopefully!! good luck mate!! I cant wait to meet you at Kings!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads