My boyfriend earns more than me

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
My boyfriend earns 80k more than me, and I juts feel really wierd if that makes sense. Like I feel wierd cuz i earn way less than him and I feel like a bit of a good digger but not really??! If that makes sense
Why do I feel like that
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Like I just feel awkward
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
I think you feel like that because he earns more than you
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't worry or allow the disparity in income to makes you unhappy.
Try to focus on your bf's personality, enjoying the relationship and making lots of happy memories.
As a teenaged schoolgirl I dated guys with trust funds, six figure annual bonuses and seven figure personal investment portfolios.
The relationships rarely survived 100 days, I ended things as soon as I realised we were incompatible or got bored.
IVLIVSCAESAR
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My boyfriend earns 80k more than me, and I juts feel really wierd if that makes sense. Like I feel wierd cuz i earn way less than him and I feel like a bit of a good digger but not really??! If that makes sense
Why do I feel like that
Anon #3 was a bit rude, however it is "generally", true that women prefer to earn a bit less than their partners and vice versa for men. You don't need to feel like a gold digger if you aren't one, many guys who are high earners would prefer a girl who earns less so they can unwind once they've put their work down rather than have their partner stressing about their own work that a high income job would provide
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by IVLIVSCAESAR)
Anon #3 was a bit rude, however it is "generally", true that women prefer to earn a bit less than their partners and vice versa for men. You don't need to feel like a gold digger if you aren't one, many guys who are high earners would prefer a girl who earns less so they can unwind once they've put their work down rather than have their partner stressing about their own work that a high income job would provide
Just because you earn less does not mean your job is any less stressful.
IVLIVSCAESAR
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Just because you earn less does not mean your job is any less stressful.
Well yes and no. Someone earning 20k may have a much more stressful job than someone earning 25k. However, given the magnitude mentioned by the OP, we could speculate that she earns somewhere between 20-30k and he earns 100-110k. In this context, it is very likely that the latter job will be more stressful
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well yes and no. Someone earning 20k may have a much more stressful job than someone earning 25k. However, given the magnitude mentioned by the OP, we could speculate that she earns somewhere between 20-30k and he earns 100-110k. In this context, it is very likely that the latter job will be more stressful
That is about the salary of a nurse, would you say having people lives in your hands is a walk in the park?
Mustafa0605
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Troll rating 2/10
Spelling gives it away
Anonymous382
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
stop overthinking it
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's
What rubbish
IVLIVSCAESAR
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
That is about the salary of a nurse, would you say having people lives in your hands is a walk in the park?
I didn't infer, or at least did not try to infer, that a lower salary job such as a nurse or careworker isn't stressful. However, in the vast majority of cases, a 100k+ job would be more stressful due to constant demand. Obviously that won't always be the case, but most of the guys who I know who earn that kind of money work 65-70+ hours a week, every week and are on call, which is far more than typical
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Again this is just out of date - I know plenty of females who earn more than their partners and some stay-at-home dads. How people decide to live is their business.
IVLIVSCAESAR
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Again this is just out of date - I know plenty of females who earn more than their partners and some stay-at-home dads. How people decide to live is their business.
I didn't say that I had anything against it or that it was right, I merely stated an observation without moral judgement of it. That is why I used the word "generally", obviously there will be a large amount of variance, but there is a tendency for women to have a preference for men who have an income that is equal or greater
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I didn't say that I had anything against it or that it was right, I merely stated an observation without moral judgement of it. That is why I used the word "generally", obviously there will be a large amount of variance, but there is a tendency for women to have a preference for men who have an income that is equal or greater
Where is the evidence of that statement though?
appleuser12
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
whats his job
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why do I feel like that
So long as your not dating him for his money, no, your not a gold-digger nor should you feel like one.
All it is is income. It really should have no effect on your relationship unless you let it.
IVLIVSCAESAR
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Where is the evidence of that statement though?
There is a fairly substantial amount of evidence within the fields of Social Psychology and Evolutionary Biology that reaffirm that position. As stated, there is a large amount of variance and overlap between the distribution of male perspectives and female perspectives on this when considered from a statistical perspective, however there is some difference between the "mean", of these perspectives
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There is a fairly substantial amount of evidence within the fields of Social Psychology and Evolutionary Biology that reaffirm that position. As stated, there is a large amount of variance and overlap between the distribution of male perspectives and female perspectives on this when considered from a statistical perspective, however there is some difference between the "mean", of these perspectives
Such as...?
Source?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Post a link ... not true amongst the people I know
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (44)
15.88%
I'm not sure (8)
2.89%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (98)
35.38%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.44%
I'm not a current university student (123)
44.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed