psychology - social influence - asch experiment

Watch
lulahayy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
can anyone help me form a plan for a 12 marker for the question “explain and evaluate asch experiment on conformity” my teacher is useless and won’t really help us - anything would help!! even an prepared answer
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
https://www.simplypsychology.org/asc...c%20experiment.

lots of good evaluation points here.

a plan doesn't need to be super thorough, just easy key points to learn. outline the experiment with a decent degree of detail but don't heavily describe as it asks for outline. could bullet point evaluative points ie. perrin and spencer (1980): 1 uk student conformed out of 396 trials, going against asch's findings.
emma543
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by lulahayy)
can anyone help me form a plan for a 12 marker for the question “explain and evaluate asch experiment on conformity” my teacher is useless and won’t really help us - anything would help!! even an prepared answer
For a 12 marker, you need one paragraph of outline (AO1) and three paragraphs of evaluation/ discussion (AO3)

So, let's begin with AO1 (first paragraph)

1) Briefly outline the procedure of Asch's study.
2) State the findings- 12 of the critical trials the conformity rate was 33%
3) Variables affecting conformity: group size (increases in group size did increase levels of conformity- indicates size of majority is only important up to a certain point), unanimity of the majority (when lone participant given a confederate who gave right answer- conformity levels dropped), difficulty of task (more difficult task- higher conformity)

Then AO3 (second, third and fourth paragraph)- here are a couple of ideas of what you could talk about - remember you only need 3!

1) Child of its time- his study took place in a particular period of US history where conformity was important (McCarthyism- people were scared to go against the majority)- when the study was repeated alter by Perrin and Spencer they only got one conforming response.
2) Problems with determining effects of group size- Bond pointed out that most studies only used a limited range of majority sizes- Asch concluded that a majority size of three was sufficient for maximal influence so subsequent studies used three- but other than Asch no one used a majority size group than 9- so we don't know much about the effects of larger majority sizes
3) Unconvincing confederates? Would be difficult for confederates to be convincing when giving wrong answers- so validity is questionable. Mori and Arai- glasses with special polarising filters
4) Cultural differences in conformity- Smith et al. found conformity was higher in individualist cultures than collectivist. Why? In collectivist, t is seen as favourable to conform- 'social glue' binds communities together

When you write your evaluation points, follow this structure:
1) Point- One strength... One limitation...
2) Evidence- Studies
3) Explanation- Why does this limit or strengthen or solve the problem of Asch's study
4) Link- Relate back to question

In between your eval paragraphs use words like On the other hand, a strength of Asch's study is...

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.1%
Uncertainty around my education (37)
10.76%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (39)
11.34%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.66%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
4.94%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (16)
4.65%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (37)
10.76%
Financial worries (24)
6.98%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.36%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.1%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (35)
10.17%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.27%

Watched Threads