Should I thank other drivers during lessons?

Watch
IceIsNice
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I haven't once thanked any driver and just let my instructor do it for me. My instructor doesn't say anything about it but now that I have been driving for such a long time, and getting very close to test, I feel like I should start doing it...but when I am in a situation where I should do it I just think to myself "it's okay, he'll thank them. I'm a learner, they'll understand". I am fully capable of controlling the car safely enough to thank someone, and I would definitely do it when driving alone.
I also feel like my instructor might think I'm doing it on purpose because I'm secretly ignorant... But that might just be my paranoia...

Thanks.
Last edited by IceIsNice; 1 month ago
TheDE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do it! It’s polite and you’ll be improving the image of learners one driver at a time.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Save it until you’ve passed. If you’re nearly there there’s no point throwing in something new even if it’s just a polite hand wave.
Ac198909
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ask your instructor if he wants you to do that. Seems like the best person to advise you?
JOSH4598
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm 18 and passed not long after my 17th birthday. Even now, I only put my hand up to say thanks if it's safe. If there are loads of parked cars I'm squeezing through or more hazards than usual, I would probably focus on the driving rather than waving at other motorists. If of course it it perfectly safe, a friendly wave is just polite courtesy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.49%
I'm not sure (51)
4.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (331)
29.42%
I have already dropped out (34)
3.02%
I'm not a current university student (546)
48.53%

Watched Threads