The Student Room Group

Mature Student: GDL or Senior/Graduate two year LLB?

I have an integrated MSc degree in Biological Sciences (2011) from overseas, for which I have NARIC equivalency certificate. It is not an undergraduate degree and I do not have a separate undergrad, but if I convert my grades, it will equal to a UK first honours.

I have also done a Masters in Social Anthropology at LSE, 2013. I finished it with merit. I started this degree when I had just had a baby, and it was not an easy thing to manage. I got a distinction for my dissertation, but not overall. Since then I have been mostly a stay at home mum, as the family circumstances and internationals moves would not allow other things.

With these qualifications, if I do a GDL, will I have a chance for BAR/Pupillage here? Academically, I have always been at the top, but my undergrad degree is not from here, and apparently that is the main thing the employers look at.

I have considered the Graduate entry LLB as it can give me a fresh recently out of Uni advantage, however, I do not know if it is worth the extra cost and time.

If anyone has any relevant experience I am looking forward to hearing your suggestions!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ari45321
I have an integrated MSc degree in Biological Sciences (2011) from overseas, for which I have NARIC equivalency certificate. It is not an undergraduate degree and I do not have a separate undergrad, but if I convert my grades, it will equal to a UK first honours.

I have also done a Masters in Social Anthropology at LSE, 2013. I finished it with merit. I started this degree when I had just had a baby, and it was not an easy thing to manage. I got a distinction for my dissertation, but not overall. Since then I have been mostly a stay at home mum, as the family circumstances and internationals moves would not allow other things.

With these qualifications, if I do a GDL, will I have a chance for BAR/Pupillage here? Academically, I have always been at the top, but my undergrad degree is not from here, and apparently that is the main thing the employers look at.

I have considered the Graduate entry LLB as it can give me a fresh recently out of Uni advantage, however, I do not know if it is worth the extra cost and time.

If anyone has any relevant experience I am looking forward to hearing your suggestions!

Where is it from?
I would do the senior status degree.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Where is it from?
I would do the senior status degree.

My first degree is from the University of Tehran in Iran. It is the top-ranking university there but I guess I would not be able to send that message across easily here.
Original post by Ari45321
My first degree is from the University of Tehran in Iran. It is the top-ranking university there but I guess I would not be able to send that message across easily here.

UK universities are international, they are used to dealing with students from all over the world.
You would have to make sure that you were eligible for senior status. If you have the money and your intent is to try for a legal career, then that is what I would choose.
Reply 4
Thank you. Definitely, universities will have no problem..I meant the firms/chambers. I think I might try the two-year route then!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending