Studentmum2901
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi
My daughter is very upset as she has realised that she has submitted the draft of some key coursework fir her MSc. She only realised when she jist received the marks. She has consistently been graded with distinction for every other piece of work. It was submitted in May.
She requested review with extenuating circumstances. She like many others due to civid has been working from home since march. She has found it difficult. Dad has been wfh too whilst also waiting to find out if he would be made redundant and I manage crit care in a large hospital. 2 siblings also returned to home. One doing undergrad work, one made redundant. It's been stressful as you can imagine!
She has the copy she thought she had submutted and it is untouched so date spand time stamped.
The appeal has been rejected as it is against the specific uni policy desoite extenuating curcumstances and a clearly odd grade. They haven't asked to see the original.
She has emailed course lead/ tutor who have yet to reply.
My question is can anyone advise where she stands and what we can do to support her to get a fair hearing? I am sure unis are inundated with covid related circumstances appeals but just responding with "rejected as against policy" feels harsh, unfair,impersonal and frankly lazily bureaucratic. She has worked hard and has not missed any other deadlines.
Thankyou in advance for any ideas you may have.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Studentmum2901)
Hi
My daughter is very upset as she has realised that she has submitted the draft of some key coursework fir her MSc. She only realised when she jist received the marks. She has consistently been graded with distinction for every other piece of work. It was submitted in May.
She requested review with extenuating circumstances. She like many others due to civid has been working from home since march. She has found it difficult. Dad has been wfh too whilst also waiting to find out if he would be made redundant and I manage crit care in a large hospital. 2 siblings also returned to home. One doing undergrad work, one made redundant. It's been stressful as you can imagine!
She has the copy she thought she had submutted and it is untouched so date spand time stamped.
The appeal has been rejected as it is against the specific uni policy desoite extenuating curcumstances and a clearly odd grade. They haven't asked to see the original.
She has emailed course lead/ tutor who have yet to reply.
My question is can anyone advise where she stands and what we can do to support her to get a fair hearing? I am sure unis are inundated with covid related circumstances appeals but just responding with "rejected as against policy" feels harsh, unfair,impersonal and frankly lazily bureaucratic. She has worked hard and has not missed any other deadlines.
Thankyou in advance for any ideas you may have.
I normally figure out an angle to at least try, but I have to say I am not confident your daughter has a case.

The student is responsible for their own work and submission of that work.
That includes a double and triple check that it is the correct version of the document.
This is why I always print out hard copy and triple check I know which document I am sending plus change the name and time of said document.
By submitting they are saying this is the document I present to be marked and I have checked it.
It isnt for the uni to look beyond that.
The rules are known in advance and it is in order to be fair for other students.
She is an experienced student.

I am not sure covid 19 related issues are going to hold any sway unless parents and siblings died, there were serious criminal acts, someone gets diagnosed with terminal diseases, serious operations etc. I dont think your reasons fall within that level of severity.

Has she been diagnosed with serious MH issues by the GP?
Has she talked to the student advisor?

How close to the deadline did she hand it in? How close afterwards did she notice?
By all means read the rules and sometimes there are uni variations, but normally they have to be acted on quickly i.e within 24h and it seems your daughter has had her work marked which sounds like weeks after the event.

Sorry I cant be of any help, but no grounds for appeal come to mind. They keep the rules simple so no one is in any doubt. I will have a think but I cant see anything.
999tigger
Report 4 months ago
Just to add although you didnt come back, once the appeal has been heard then there are very limited grounds for a further appeal. You will have to find they did something wrong or there is additional new evidence.
For the reasons explained previously I think the CV19 argument wouldnt work, unless maybe they could prove they were having MH issues, hospitalised or with someone who was in a critical state near death state. They are also more sympathetic to claims made before the document is handed in as opposed to subsequently.

If I were in the situation then despite looking I believe I would draw a blank because a student takes responsibility for what they submit and the departments job is just to mark it. the student normally makes a declaration acknowledging this. She will just have to learn from it and see if it can be made up for elsewhere.
Studentmum2901
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Just to add although you didnt come back, once the appeal has been heard then there are very limited grounds for a further appeal. You will have to find they did something wrong or there is additional new evidence.
For the reasons explained previously I think the CV19 argument wouldnt work, unless maybe they could prove they were having MH issues, hospitalised or with someone who was in a critical state near death state. They are also more sympathetic to claims made before the document is handed in as opposed to subsequently.

If I were in the situation then despite looking I believe I would draw a blank because a student takes responsibility for what they submit and the departments job is just to mark it. the student normally makes a declaration acknowledging this. She will just have to learn from it and see if it can be made up for elsewhere.
Hi
Sorry I didnt see your replies.
Part of her upset is the embarrassment of making such an error. She has never submitted work late and is a hard working and conscientious student.. This piece of work was submitted 2 days early. She was struggling mentally at the time. No one close to her has died from cv.
She has suffered with serious mental health issues in the past and the uni from her first degree are aware of these. She moved uni for her masters for fresh start and tried to put previous issues behind her.
She was unaware she had submitted incorrectly until she got the mark. It is disappointing that the marker of the work did not say anything, knowing the usual standard of her work. All of her marks have been distinction except this. I suppose i look on it that everyone of us makes mistakes. The submitted piece of work is clearly just a set of unformatted notes. She has paid £12k for this course. The error has meant she cannot get a distinction overall due to uni rules that you cant if you dont pass every thing. Seems such a shame and will have a direct impact on her next steps. Dealings with the uni have not been easy and having looked at some of the emails there is a fairly out dated and arrogant approach to her plight.
She has an untouched copy of the written work that is date stamped as last editted prior to the cut off date which they have refused to look at.
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
Hi
Sorry I didnt see your replies.
Part of her upset is the embarrassment of making such an error. She has never submitted work late and is a hard working and conscientious student.. This piece of work was submitted 2 days early. She was struggling mentally at the time. No one close to her has died from cv.
She has suffered with serious mental health issues in the past and the uni from her first degree are aware of these. She moved uni for her masters for fresh start and tried to put previous issues behind her.
She was unaware she had submitted incorrectly until she got the mark. It is disappointing that the marker of the work did not say anything, knowing the usual standard of her work. All of her marks have been distinction except this. I suppose i look on it that everyone of us makes mistakes. The submitted piece of work is clearly just a set of unformatted notes. She has paid £12k for this course. The error has meant she cannot get a distinction overall due to uni rules that you cant if you dont pass every thing. Seems such a shame and will have a direct impact on her next steps. Dealings with the uni have not been easy and having looked at some of the emails there is a fairly out dated and arrogant approach to her plight.
She has an untouched copy of the written work that is date stamped as last editted prior to the cut off date which they have refused to look at.
I understand where she is coming from, but unless she had extenuating corcumstance, then the responsibility for getting the right work submitted on time is the students and you sign a declaration to that end. They have to be strict and clear about these things because they owe it to other students.

If I were in that position I would be kicking myself and as I have so many versions them am always checking via hard copy and put my electronic master cope in a safe folder. Before I press send I triple check and thasts in addition to all the hard copies I will have made.

The lecturer is unlikelty to have known beforehand as they just wait till its closed. Its not their job. If your daughter had discovered the mistake after sybmission and before the deadline she would still have had a task to persuade them.

Mistakes are human, they probably believe it was a mistake, but that is not their problem , they just mark what tiy daughter submitted and confirmed was the thing she wished to submit. She just needs to learn from it and focus to getting as much as she can out of it in the remaining time.
If she does get distinctions in her remaining pieces she can always point it out on the cv or at interview.
chazwomaq
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
She was unaware she had submitted incorrectly until she got the mark. It is disappointing that the marker of the work did not say anything, knowing the usual standard of her work. All of her marks have been distinction except this.
Many universities mark anonymously so the marker may not have been aware whose work it was. And nor should a marker consider a student's previous grades when marking a piece of work.

Your daughter has learned a valuable life lesson. Imagine the lawyer who submits the wrong appeal document to the judge, the architect who submits an early draught for tender, the doctor who submits the wrong notes for a patient diagnosis etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (45)
17.24%
No one else does (82)
31.42%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.73%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (88)
33.72%
We don't use a video platform (5)
1.92%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.68%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.3%

Watched Threads