The Student Room Group

Aerospace Engineering

Hi, I'm a year 12 student attending college and studying Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science and will be finished in 2 years time (2022). I was wondering if any university within London or nearby London would happily enrol me with the course I'm studying. I was thinking of the Aerospace Industry, so any courses that'll help aid me to pursue my dream careers such as an aerospace engineer, manufacturer or even a pilot?
(edited 3 years ago)
I think you will struggle to find anywhere which will accept you with a BTEC in Applied Science, would you be able to switch to Engineering?

I would also be aware that there is very, very little aerospace engineering industry in London, so if you intend to stay in London after graduation too you should consider that your job options will be very limited. The closest place with a significant aerospace presence which is somewhat commutable from London would be Oxford.

The options for becoming a pilot are very different to studying aerospace engineering, so I would look into that separately. It will almost always involve either a significant cost (in the hundreds of thousands of pounds from what I remember) or a commitment to the sponsoring company(/organisation in the case of the RAF) to work for them for several years after you complete your training. It's a bit more viable to go your own way if you go for helicopters instead, but still a very expensive route.
Reply 2
Original post by Helloworld_95
I think you will struggle to find anywhere which will accept you with a BTEC in Applied Science, would you be able to switch to Engineering?

I would also be aware that there is very, very little aerospace engineering industry in London, so if you intend to stay in London after graduation too you should consider that your job options will be very limited. The closest place with a significant aerospace presence which is somewhat commutable from London would be Oxford.

The options for becoming a pilot are very different to studying aerospace engineering, so I would look into that separately. It will almost always involve either a significant cost (in the hundreds of thousands of pounds from what I remember) or a commitment to the sponsoring company(/organisation in the case of the RAF) to work for them for several years after you complete your training. It's a bit more viable to go your own way if you go for helicopters instead, but still a very expensive route.

So I got no chance with applied science? cuz I think I can change to engineering course but ill have to change to a really gang-infested college and that'll ruin my future. But I read somewhere that if you have really good grades in a level maths and physics u can attend the course or if you have really good grades in applied science or engineering.
Original post by Omiddd.A
Hi, I'm a year 12 student attending college and studying Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science and will be finished in 2 years time (2022). I was wondering if any university within London or nearby London would happily enrol me with the course I'm studying. I was thinking of the Aerospace Industry, so any courses that'll help aid me to pursue my dream careers such as an aerospace engineer, manufacturer or even a pilot?

I've just finished doing Aeronautical Engineering Level 3 Extended Diploma in Aeronuatical Engineering, and if im honest i dont think the course your doing will be helpful, i think its better if you can see if you can change to an Engineering Extended diploma course, or see if theres a college that offers Aeronautical Engineering course
So I got no chance with applied science? cuz I think I can change to engineering course but ill have to change to a really gang-infested college and that'll ruin my future. But I read somewhere that if you have really good grades in a level maths and physics u can attend the course or if you have really good grades in applied science or engineering.

If you were doing both maths and physics A levels then happened to have a BTEC in applied science then that would probably be ok. Otherwise you would need to do an Access course or Foundation year after your extended diploma
Reply 5
If you were doing both maths and physics A levels then happened to have a BTEC in applied science then that would probably be ok. Otherwise you would need to do an Access course or Foundation year after your extended diploma

Hmm. Thanks a lot, i mean my physics teacher says that it is definitely possible with applied science alone so he must have a plan for students like me. but is Aerospace Engineering a great occupation to be obtaining as a life occupation because if its low pay and really stressful then id happily work in a lab or dentistry.
Hmm. Thanks a lot, i mean my physics teacher says that it is definitely possible with applied science alone so he must have a plan for students like me. but is Aerospace Engineering a great occupation to be obtaining as a life occupation because if its low pay and really stressful then id happily work in a lab or dentistry.

I would take what your teacher says with a grain of salt, their job isn’t to be knowledgeable about career paths and things will have changed throughout their career.

Lab jobs are typically very competitive to get, perhaps with the exception of NHS Biomedical Scientists. I'm unsure whether you could start a degree in Biology/Chemistry from BTEC Applied Science though. As far as I know you wouldn't meet the entry requirements for dentistry with a btec, and it's very competitive to get into. You might want to look into nursing or dental nursing if that is something you're really interested in though.

I'd say engineering is a good job, but others would say otherwise. It very much depends on the person and your expectations of jobs in general.
Reply 7
I would take what your teacher says with a grain of salt, their job isn’t to be knowledgeable about career paths and things will have changed throughout their career.

Lab jobs are typically very competitive to get, perhaps with the exception of NHS Biomedical Scientists. I'm unsure whether you could start a degree in Biology/Chemistry from BTEC Applied Science though. As far as I know you wouldn't meet the entry requirements for dentistry with a btec, and it's very competitive to get into. You might want to look into nursing or dental nursing if that is something you're really interested in though.

I'd say engineering is a good job, but others would say otherwise. It very much depends on the person and your expectations of jobs in general.

wait so basically applied science is useless? and I wont get into any job
wait so basically applied science is useless? and I wont get into any job

It's not useless, but it severely limits your opportunities compared to BTEC Engineering or doing a couple of science/maths A levels alongside BTEC Applied Science. From a quick look, the situation looks a bit better for studying Biology or Chemistry, but you would definitely need A levels on top of your diploma or to do BTEC engineering for engineering courses. And you will need A levels for dentistry.

I'd also be aware that, if they apply to you, many widening access programs or concessions will only be available to those taking all or mostly A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest