Zthenotorious
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I just got an offer for a part time job with a marketing firm, Im currently a university student but these guys want me to come in 3 times a week and work from 8 am - 6pm, (30 hours a week) and its not even hourly paid, its based on comisson. I was just wondering if this is even worth taking because it seems like alot and perhaps not exactly ideal for someone whos in university
bunnyrabbit2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They are probably out to rip you off since it is all commission. You might make nothing after a few weeks and they will say it is your fault.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Zthenotorious)
So I just got an offer for a part time job with a marketing firm, Im currently a university student but these guys want me to come in 3 times a week and work from 8 am - 6pm, (30 hours a week) and its not even hourly paid, its based on comisson. I was just wondering if this is even worth taking because it seems like alot and perhaps not exactly ideal for someone whos in university
I'd probably look for an hourly paid job, maybe one with slightly less hours
iNeed2p
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Short answer is 'They want wast your time' Register with simple agency company and choose your hours. even thou I don't like agencies but, for you it's just temporary hours until you finish your uni.
Zthenotorious
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by iNeed2p)
Short answer is 'They want wast your time' Register with simple agency company and choose your hours. even thou I don't like agencies but, for you it's just temporary hours until you finish your uni.
ahh okay, im finding it really difficult to get a job at the moment, any reccomeded websites to look at? in preferably london?
iNeed2p
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
ahh okay, im finding it really difficult to get a job at the moment, any reccomeded websites to look at? in preferably london?
Depends the location you live. All you have to do is, write on google search your location. For instances, if your university is based on North London, then google search 'North London job agencies near me' Make sure your Google maps is turned on so that it can track it down your exactly location. You will have plenty of agencies on the list. Just choose the best one that you think it's good enough.

One good quick tip also, Never ever look desperate when you sign in with these agencies, they're supposed to be the one who should look desperate since that is the way they make their living. If you look desperate to them then hey will squeeze you and use you. Also if you don't like their offer don't be afraid to walk out and say F off. of-course not in direct way. My way of saying F off is, 'Thank you for your time sir and i will get back to you at the end of the day'

All the best
freespeech103
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do you mind naming the marketing firm? From research, there are a lot of marketing agencies that are actually pyramid or ponzi schemes, especially if they heavily rely on recruitment. A lot of them tend to sell you on this idea of earning commission, and that "your earning potential is unlimited". This is just a fancy way of saying that everything is simply down to you, and that there is no minimum pay. If you give me the name of the firm, I will happily do some background checks on the company and see what they are about. I remember when I was 16 and looking for a job, and there was a company called Climb Marketing who are also heavily based on commission and recruitment. At the time, I was suspicious, since they never actually talked about what they did to the greatest extent. They gave me the job offer, but I turned it down after doing research into them and seeing that they rely on recruitment a lot for their income, as well as selling this idea of unlimited commission. A lot of pyramid and ponzi schemes have similar tell-tale signs, and this is one of them.
Zthenotorious
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi
heres the link to their webpage
https://www.balleventsuk.co/
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi Zthenotorious

This job seems like it would be a lot of hours. You might be better of trying to apply for some other part time jobs such as retail or bar work. Look on your universities career site, sometimes employers will advertise student jobs on there. You could also try handing in your c.v to local shops and cafes or applying online.

I worked as a student ambassador at my uni and this was casual work, which worked really well for me as if I could pick up more shifts when I was free and then not pick up shifts if I had exams.

Good luck!

Zaira
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (46)
15.97%
I'm not sure (8)
2.78%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (100)
34.72%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.39%
I'm not a current university student (130)
45.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed