Lucja12344625
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello all,

My GCSE grades were 888777765
(The 6 and 5 were in geography and Spanish)
I also have a HPQ at grade A and media BTEC at distinction*

I’ve been predicted BBD (biology, psychology, chemistry- I know it’s a terrible grade, and I don’t want to make excuses because it is what it is) however I am confident I can raise my two Bs to As and my D to a C (perhaps to a B, but I am trying to keep this as real as I can to myself and don’t want to set myself up for failure)

However, I would love honest opinions, no matter how brutal about whether I can pursue pharmacy or not due to how bad my predicted grades are.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sarah H.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lucja12344625)
Hello all,

I’ve been predicted BBD (biology, psychology, chemistry- I know it’s a terrible grade, and I don’t want to make excuses because it is what it is) however I am confident I can raise my two Bs to As and my D to a C (perhaps to a B, but I am trying to keep this as real as I can to myself and don’t want to set myself up for failure)

However, I would love honest opinions, no matter how brutal about whether I can pursue pharmacy or not due to how bad my predicted grades are.

Hi, impossible really to give a definitive answer to this question.

However, IMO, you really do need to be at least a solid B in chemistry which is the primary A level for pharmacy. It is the main A level the unis look at for admission.

You need to ask why you are predicted D. Could it be down to poor teaching of the subject at your school? Poor relationship with teacher? Do you genuinely struggle with it for whatever reason? Do you actually like the subject? Do you put 100% in? Your other predicted grades look ok (as were your gcse) so you need to work out what is the problem with chemistry.

If you feel genuinely you can up your chemistry to B (and it is a subject you are comfortable with) then go for it.

Take care and good luck.
Last edited by Sarah H.; 1 month ago
Lucja12344625
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sarah H.)
Hi, impossible really to give a definitive answer to this question.

However, IMO, you really do need to be at least a solid B in chemistry which is the primary A level for pharmacy. It is the main A level the unis look at for admission.

You need to ask why you are predicted D. Could it be down to poor teaching of the subject at your school? Poor relationship with teacher? Do you genuinely struggle with it for whatever reason? Do you actually like the subject? Do you put 100% in? Your other predicted grades look ok (as were your gcse) so you need to work out what is the problem with chemistry.

If you feel genuinely you can up your chemistry to B (and it is a subject you are comfortable with) then go for it.

Take care and good luck.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

I do have some ideas why I am predicted a D as my school assessed our predictions based on year 12 work (at the end of year 12 I was predicted a low B) and our work ethic in the lockdown.

I will admit I slacked off a lot during lockdown and didn’t submit much evidence of work for chemistry and I got an E in a mock during the lockdown period.

After talking to my teacher, she said as long as I can show improvement in the next 2 months it can be possible to move the grade up however she said HOW much is dependent on me.

There is hope but now I just need to crack on

Appreciate it though.
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello all,

Hey Lucja12344625 :hi: We offer Pharmacy at Strathclyde so I can offer a bit of insight here.

Our standard entry requirements are AAB (with Chemistry and Biology needed), and GCSE Maths and English Lang/Lit at 6. The requirements can be thought of as high- as we normally admit our students in to Year 2 of the MPharm degree, so the level of teaching is harder right away. If you narrowly miss these conditions, our academic staff will still consider you for the course and if they see potential in you, there's a chance they'll still admit you to the course, as there can be a slight degree of flexibility following results day.

I can't guarantee you'd definitely receive an offer from us as it's up to the department dealing with admissions on a case by case basis, but if you're intending on working hard and really applying yourself in Chemistry (and it sounds like you are!) it's not out of the question that they'd be able to consider you. So you're right to have hope! Sarah H. is right though- Chemistry really is a core requirement so it's up to you to work hard for the grades if Pharmacy is your goal.

Best of luck with your application! Give me a message if there's anything else I can help with.

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Lucja12344625
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Strathclyde)
Hey Lucja12344625 :hi: We offer Pharmacy at Strathclyde so I can offer a bit of insight here.

Our standard entry requirements are AAB (with Chemistry and Biology needed), and GCSE Maths and English Lang/Lit at 6. The requirements can be thought of as high- as we normally admit our students in to Year 2 of the MPharm degree, so the level of teaching is harder right away. If you narrowly miss these conditions, our academic staff will still consider you for the course and if they see potential in you, there's a chance they'll still admit you to the course, as there can be a slight degree of flexibility following results day.

I can't guarantee you'd definitely receive an offer from us as it's up to the department dealing with admissions on a case by case basis, but if you're intending on working hard and really applying yourself in Chemistry (and it sounds like you are!) it's not out of the question that they'd be able to consider you. So you're right to have hope! Sarah H. is right though- Chemistry really is a core requirement so it's up to you to work hard for the grades if Pharmacy is your goal.

Best of luck with your application! Give me a message if there's anything else I can help with.

- Caitlin
Thank you so much for responding!

From open events and research, I know pharmacy is no easy course, but I am confident I will make it there in the end as I’m slowly but surely making progress.

I would just like to ask since you are a university rep, what sorts of things are you looking for in a pharmacy personal statement? Also what were the average grades of your applicants for pharmacy this year? (If you don’t know this, is there some place I can find out?)

Thank you so much once again.
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much for responding!

From open events and research, I know pharmacy is no easy course, but I am confident I will make it there in the end as I’m slowly but surely making progress.

I would just like to ask since you are a university rep, what sorts of things are you looking for in a pharmacy personal statement? Also what were the average grades of your applicants for pharmacy this year? (If you don’t know this, is there some place I can find out?)

Thank you so much once again.
Lucja12344625 no worries! happy to help

You're right, it really is a challenging course but for someone with a love of sciences and medicine it's a fantastic career path. For your personal statement, we would look for evidence that you have researched in to the subject area/profession, as well as for evidence of things you've done that support your application. Normally we would perhaps advise a bit of work experience but this year we know that will be extremely tricky!! I'd recommend thinking of other ways to show you're knowledgeable and ready for a career in Pharmacy. Think of researching using things like Youtube/Podcasts as well as articles and documentaries. Is it possible for you to call a local Pharmacy and ask to interview a Pharmacist over the phone/by skype? They could give you some really interesting talking points that you hadn't thought about before! Also, think of some of the key skills Pharmacists have (eg- excellent attention to detail, good people and listening skills, organised, empathetic) and how any projects/extra curricular things you've been up to show that you're suited to the job.

I don't know the average entry grades off the top of my head I'm afraid! Obviously around the Clearing and Confirmation period we can occasionally drop our entry requirements if there is space on the course (Pharmacy is very popular for us so we don't always go in to Clearing!), but even with that being said we would definitely still need A Level Chemistry and Biology both *at least* at a B. If you wanted to find that info out you could get in touch with the department and they might be able to provide that

Can I also suggest- have you thought of using one of your five options to apply for a Pharmacology course? That could be a really good 'back up' as such for you to consider. If for whatever reason you're unable to start Pharmacy in 2021, you could study Pharamacology and then do a Postgraduate qualification in Pharmacy.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you've any other questions

- Caitlin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.53%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (545)
48.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed