Panicking by Online Learning?

Watch
snoopydoopz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
My course seems 100% online and im furious. i cant learn myself, and seems many of lects are pre-recorded whilst lecturers are having a long holiday.
there free online courses and videos on youtube; from harvard! For free..
maybe mixed courses be ok.. but is anyone panicking about having to really, teach yourself??
Yazziii
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Omg samee
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by snoopydoopz)
My course seems 100% online and im furious. i cant learn myself, and seems many of lects are pre-recorded whilst lecturers are having a long holiday.
maybe mixed courses be ok.. but is anyone panicking about having to really, teach yourself??
Hiya!

In my first year I felt the exact same about having to teach myself after every lecture I went to. However, university is a very independent learning course where if you have a face to face or a virtual lecture you will still be required to do the same degree of work, but just be able to do it from your bed instead of a lecture building!

So many people are feeling the same, so you won't be alone. Join your course group chat to stay in contact with other students on your course and can message them about any queries you have. You will also be able to email your lecturers whenever you need to and can potentially have 1-1 meetings with them with any questions you have. This year at uni will be different than any other before but all students are feeling the same, and the lecturers and uni know this so will do what they can in offering support.

Best of luck at uni! Sam- Official student Rep
gutenberg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I can assure you that lecturers are not on a long holiday. It's exactly the opposite, as online teaching is much more time intensive.

I have two suggestions. One, I presume as part of your timetable you do have live seminars, via Zoom or Teams or similar? It won't all be asynchronous. Make sure you use these contact hours to best effect: work through resources ahead of time, complete any tasks, and use the contact time to ask questions, get reassurance and go deeper.

Second, has your university provided any activities you should do with the pre-recorded lectures? For example, my university is providing worksheets that should be worked through while watching the pre-recorded lectures, asking for definitions, key facts, as well as some longer reflection questions. If they are not providing this, then ask your lecturers how you can best use the pre-recorded materials: take notes on them, build up a directory of concepts or formulae, etc.

University has always been about independent learning. Yes, online learning presents different challenges to in-person classes, but even if you had all in-person classes, you'd still need to spend time solo preparing for them, reading etc. Universities do not spoon-feed you. Ask for advice and throw yourself into it by engaging with the independent work, but also make sure you use your contact time to get clarification, advice etc.
Last edited by gutenberg; 4 weeks ago
Ramipril
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They won't be sitting around and you're supposed to be doing independent learning. You're paying £££ to get a degree certificate that says you passed your exams. YouTube won't give you that. Probably would have been better off doing something else :rofl:
snoopydoopz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
£££ to get a degree certificate < no, you pay to learn. you can buy paper from stationary box.
point is, ofc i didnt expect 100% 37 hours a week f2f (wouldnt want it either); they have literally changed what was supposed to be mixed - f2d and online
to 100%..
and unfort. i think much of it will be 'asynchronous'.
I will ask about the worksheets, seems a good idea.
I do think prerecorded videos is cheating, as its not two way - hence they are saving time.. just to ask; how would professors/tutors be more busy? they have record one lesson and not repeat it - you are basically left to yourself like you a phd student (when you not).
i was really hoping the group chat!!! would work - so far and im hoping the course has not started as justication; they dont speak and unfort. most of them will be abroad.. so dont seem keen on even zoom online chats, hope that changes (its the nature of the course and students it attracts).
I do think 'university is a very independent learning course' is very misleading. As undegrads you should get couple of hours f2f teaching a day, that lowers a little on masters and then mostly to yourself on phd.. lol, clever marketing ploy to say 'uni was always independent learning!' uh nope - not talking about you here! lol - i just thinks is misleading and wrong to imply c. 10grand a year and another 10 for living + is stuff you can get for free off the net..
on last post £££ > for degree, i dont think you've worked have you? as employers rather have you learn something and go get work experience rather than see an expensive piece of paper...
i think you guys are being optimistic, that it be ok etc.. i think this year will be year of drop outs sadly - hope not, i just dont see this working for many people..the lack of support, lack of contact time, asking questions by emails seriously!??? to get one clear answer which would take me a min in a class takes me a week and still not clear as give up..
facial expressions etc are part of communicating, even as we discuss this - we not understanding fully each other - as we write and explain ourselves differently, hence why seeing the face is important..
if the lecturers do really want to help, they should be on zoom more giving us more f2f time.. idk.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My degree we have sone lectures which are pre recorded and sone that are live. Both sorts have the usual slides available in advance to use when watching.
Most questions asked during the live lectures are of the “can you repeat that case nane type” ie admin stuff that can be dealt with by email.
Think about 50% attended the live lecture (strange as it was first one so you’d expect higher whilst we sus out if we need to “attend” or not.
Last edited by Catherine1973; 4 weeks ago
gutenberg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
£££ to get a degree certificate < no, you pay to learn. you can buy paper from stationary box.
point is, ofc i didnt expect 100% 37 hours a week f2f (wouldnt want it either); they have literally changed what was supposed to be mixed - f2d and online
to 100%..
I do think prerecorded videos is cheating, as its not two way - hence they are saving time.. just to ask; how would professors/tutors be more busy? they have record one lesson and not repeat it - you are basically left to yourself like you a phd student (when you not).
i was really hoping the group chat!!! would work - so far and im hoping the course has not started as justication; they dont speak and unfort. most of them will be abroad.. so dont seem keen on even zoom online chats, hope that changes (its the nature of the course and students it attracts).
I do think 'university is a very independent learning course' is very misleading. As undegrads you should get couple of hours f2f teaching a day, that lowers a little on masters and then mostly to yourself on phd.. lol, clever marketing ploy to say 'uni was always independent learning!' uh nope - not talking about you here! lol - i just thinks is misleading and wrong to imply c. 10grand a year and another 10 for living + is stuff you can get for free off the net..
on last post £££ > for degree, i dont think you've worked have you? as employers rather have you learn something and go get work experience rather than see an expensive piece of paper...
i think you guys are being optimistic, that it be ok etc.. i think this year will be year of drop outs sadly - hope not, i just dont see this working for many people..the lack of support, lack of contact time, asking questions by emails seriously!??? to get one clear answer which would take me a min in a class takes me a week and still not clear as give up..
facial expressions etc are part of communicating, even as we discuss this - we not understanding fully each other - as we write and explain ourselves differently, hence why seeing the face is important..
if the lecturers do really want to help, they should be on zoom more giving us more f2f time.. idk.
Recording a lecture is actually a lot of work: the material usually needs to be reworked to make it more easily comprehensible since you can't rely on feedback from the room to make sure students understand. That could mean content, slides, examples all need changing. Many universities ask that lectures not be delivered as a 1-hour block, but instead broken up into shorter segments, either as separate mini lectures or a longer lecture that has been broken into 'chapters': to do this requires either a lot of repetition in recording lots of mini lectures, or working with editing software after recording. Some universities require captions on lectures, for accessibility: these are often done manually since automatic captioning is very inaccurate. There are lots of ways that pre-recorded lectures create more work than simply turning up and giving a lecture. Similarly, even live online seminars require a lot more planning since you have to think about how to manage small-group work (including tech workarounds in some cases), providing more material in advance versus being able to introduce it on the day through a handout, and creating online resources in place of activities that could have been done in classes. Students also need more guidance and structure when learning online, so there's often extra tasks like those worksheets for lectures for instance, which weren't used before and now 40+ are needed for a single lecture course. That's before you even get to the massive increase in email volume from worried students, students who can't access resources, or who can't work out how to operate Zoom/Teams and expect you to instruct them... Trust me. It's manic.

How much of your teaching takes the form of live classes? Most of what I would usually teach has just switched to online live seminars: the only pre-recorded stuff is lectures for large classes, but these are always supported by an hour of live teaching per hour of pre-recorded lecture. So I'm struggling to understand how apparently so much of your teaching is pre-recorded.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I suppose it’s week 1 and tutorials kick in a bit later for most courses.
Some of our classes are adding quizzes to the schedule that you can do if you want, which adds something else to the experience.
Ramipril
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
to 100%..
Well that was an eyesore to read.
University is independent learning. Unlike being at school, nobody will spoonfeed you (well not nearly as much). Nobody will care if you show up to lectures or seminars unless registration is taken. Nobody will care if your'e doing badly until you actually fail or it gets to the point where you get flagged up. At school all you really needed to do to do well is learn what the markscheme wants off by heart. Grant university is similar in terms of what you need to get a 1st, 2:1, 2:2 etc. but it still requires effort on your part to do well if you to get a 1st or high 2:1 over just scraping a 2:1 with 59.5%.

Many lecturers are **** at teaching and supporting their student because their actual job is whatever they are working on, teaching is essentially a side-job for them. Again, the same could be said about school but one would hope school teachers actually want what's best for their students. Some lecturers won't ever know your name. When they mark your work it will be anonymous and when you email for help, if they reply they still won't care much about you. They won't give you more zoom time if they don't have to. Ofc there are genuinely brilliant lecturers who are great teachers and supportive too.

I have worked, and I have one degree, one masters and am onto my second degree. My first job after graduation didn't require a degree. My job when I finish my current degree will, as well as the skills that come with it. Without the bit of paper I'm graduating with, I would not be able to do said job.

But yes I agree. For many people this academic year (and potentially their whole university experience) is going to be a waste of time and money, in a sense. I don't envy those people.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (92)
13.86%
I'm not sure (31)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (213)
32.08%
I have already dropped out (15)
2.26%
I'm not a current university student (313)
47.14%

Watched Threads