susysusy123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm a first year law student who wants to be a solicitor most probably- I don't really know much about mooting, which society do you think would benefit me the most or which one should I choose and why.

UN society seems a lot like debating and mooting they said is crucial for law but I don't know whether I would like mooting
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by susysusy123)
I'm a first year law student who wants to be a solicitor most probably- I don't really know much about mooting, which society do you think would benefit me the most or which one should I choose and why.

UN society seems a lot like debating and mooting they said is crucial for law but I don't know whether I would like mooting
Bumping this for you.

My view is to join whatever society you have at your uni. If you attend Oxbridge then Oxford Union or Cambridge Union may be good choices.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
benefit you how? on getting a job, VC or TC at a law firm?

if that’s what you’re asking then i would say mooting cuz if you win, and sometimes even if just participate, you’ll get at least a job shadow with a firm, make contacts etc. probably looks good on your resume; at least my friends who did mooting went onto get jobs and TCs (tho that might be correlation and not causation). useful in learning how to make legal arguments in the future as well, as opposed to political arguments which might be fun but not as relevant. also good practice for when you eventually have to do it with the LPC. oh and might get your name on a plack in the law school.

i don’t think a debating society has a lot of benefit unless you can win a prize or say you were president. maybe contact the current prez and see what activities they actually do?
EU Yakov
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by susysusy123)

mooting is crucial for aspiring barristers and may give the wrong impression to law firms (may, not will, there's a difference)

i don't think that any of these will benefit you immensely. it's all about how you use them. make sure that you're still doing other interesting extra cs

(Original post by Joleee)
benefit you how? on getting a job, VC or TC at a law firm?

if that’s what you’re asking then i would say mooting cuz if you win, and sometimes even if just participate, you’ll get at least a job shadow with a firm, make contacts etc. probably looks good on your resume; at least my friends who did mooting went onto get jobs and TCs (tho that might be correlation and not causation). useful in learning how to make legal arguments in the future as well, as opposed to political arguments which might be fun but not as relevant. also good practice for when you eventually have to do it with the LPC. oh and might get your name on a plack in the law school.

i don’t think a debating society has a lot of benefit unless you can win a prize or say you were president. maybe contact the current prez and see what activities they actually do?
all of these have similar soft skills. mooting adds legal research to the mix but omits the flair, networking, etc. the keeners i knew at uni just did the one they were good at and enjoyed. many unis don't even offer all three. i don't think we had a debating soc of note, though MUN was big
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (64)
14.71%
I'm not sure (16)
3.68%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (147)
33.79%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.61%
I'm not a current university student (201)
46.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed