Arina Mallllll
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have been contacted by a model scouter from the agency after uploading a selfie of myself on a website for finding a model job. The agent offered me to book an appointment and to pay a 100 pounds deposit. I told him my card details over the phone (with cv number) and I got an email (which went to spam) that payment was successful. Is it a scam? How did they manage to to withdraw my money without a cv or a password?
Always_Confused
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello, a card payment can be made if you gave them your card number, expiry date and cvv number. They don't need your pin or password. So that will be how they took payment.
I don't want to scare you, but please do some research into the company and any others in the future. It may not be a scam and that £100 may be a deposit you get back. But I have heard many horror stories of similar companies approaching people. Claiming to be a modelling agency, but they are actually just a photography studio. They charge a 'deposit', invite people to a photoshoot, then charge hundreds of pounds more to get copies of the photos. They pressure people into paying by claiming that "without the photos you won't get any modelling offers or jobs" etc.
Like I say, I haven't heard of Hype. Look them up and check some reviews. If they're one of these scam companies, I would see if you can get the money back. They might have some bs "if you cancel we keep the deposit" policy. But it's better to just lose £100, then go and pay another £1000 for ultimately nothing. Do a bit of research.
Callicious
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry but you signed up to have your bank account drained the second you gave your card details over the phone. I didn't think people still did this in 2020, but you've proved me wrong.

Never give any of your card details out over the phone. If it's just the number + expiry you should be fine, but if the 3-letter security pin on the back is given, you're pogged.
Arina Mallllll
Rep:
?
(Original post by Always_Confused)
Hello, a card payment can be made if you gave them your card number, expiry date and cvv number. They don't need your pin or password. So that will be how they took payment.
I don't want to scare you, but please do some research into the company and any others in the future. It may not be a scam and that £100 may be a deposit you get back. But I have heard many horror stories of similar companies approaching people. Claiming to be a modelling agency, but they are actually just a photography studio. They charge a 'deposit', invite people to a photoshoot, then charge hundreds of pounds more to get copies of the photos. They pressure people into paying by claiming that "without the photos you won't get any modelling offers or jobs" etc.
Like I say, I haven't heard of Hype. Look them up and check some reviews. If they're one of these scam companies, I would see if you can get the money back. They might have some bs "if you cancel we keep the deposit" policy. But it's better to just lose £100, then go and pay another £1000 for ultimately nothing. Do a bit of research.
I meant without my cvv number, I just said my card number and the expiry date so that is why I was confused. Thank for your response!
Arina Mallllll
Rep:
?
(Original post by Callicious)
Sorry but you signed up to have your bank account drained the second you gave your card details over the phone. I didn't think people still did this in 2020, but you've proved me wrong.

Never give any of your card details out over the phone. If it's just the number + expiry you should be fine, but if the 3-letter security pin on the back is given, you're pogged.
yes, it is just the number and the expiry, I mistyped, sorry, I guess I should be fine then, thank you for your response
Callicious
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Arina Mallllll)
yes, it is just the number and the expiry, I mistyped, sorry, I guess I should be fine then, thank you for your response
I would still recommend getting a new card just to be safe :-;
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (104)
13.33%
I'm not sure (34)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (241)
30.9%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.44%
I'm not a current university student (382)
48.97%

Watched Threads