The Student Room Group

Cream Crackers. Empty calories?

Are they good for weight loss? Uno those cream cracker, just plain? I really like them as in I could eat 10 in one sitting but I feel like they’re just empty calories. I had them yesterday with soup and that about it for like the whole day coz I had no appetite
Reply 1
Why do you have no appetite? You need to eat more than soup and crackers.
Reply 2
Original post by Pathway
Why do you have no appetite? You need to eat more than soup and crackers.

I know I just can’t bring myself to do it. Everything become a fear food all of a sudden but I’m sure I’ll be back to normal soon
Reply 3
Try to stick to diet that consists of healthy carbs - whole grains, rice etc, these are just "empty " calories, as you said.
I don't think they're good for weight loss;

This isn't based on any exact sciences or anything of the sort, but I regularly see fellow hikers touting it as a lightweight source of calories while out hiking. They've got a fair bit of carbs (and quite often fats, dependent on the brand) in them and are quite light, hence their utility. Obvs eaten with something else like peanut butter or maybe a dry jam, but you get the picture.

If you want to lose weight you need to eat less than the recommended amount (calorically) and should probably just think about your diet a bit more than switch to eating cream crackers.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I know I just can’t bring myself to do it. Everything become a fear food all of a sudden but I’m sure I’ll be back to normal soon

Fearing food is not good. Do you have anyone around you to speak to about how you're feeling?
Reply 6
Original post by Callicious
I don't think they're good for weight loss;

This isn't based on any exact sciences or anything of the sort, but I regularly see fellow hikers touting it as a lightweight source of calories while out hiking. They've got a fair bit of carbs (and quite often fats, dependent on the brand) in them and are quite light, hence their utility. Obvs eaten with something else like peanut butter or maybe a dry jam, but you get the picture.

If you want to lose weight you need to eat less than the recommended amount (calorically) and should probably just think about your diet a bit more than switch to eating cream crackers.

Yh I think it has about 1.1g of fat per cracker. Usually I am in control of my diet but I guess it’s one of those days. Do I have to avoid all empty calories?
Reply 7
Original post by Pathway
Fearing food is not good. Do you have anyone around you to speak to about how you're feeling?

I know it’s really stupid. I do but I spoke about my problems so many times it’s getting boring now
Reply 8
Original post by lolly333
Try to stick to diet that consists of healthy carbs - whole grains, rice etc, these are just "empty " calories, as you said.

I’m not a fan of rice or pasta so are potatoes and bread any good?
Yh I think it has about 1.1g of fat per cracker. Usually I am in control of my diet but I guess it’s one of those days. Do I have to avoid all empty calories?

I don't even know what an empty calorie is. I just know that I aim for ~2,400 kcals a day and it keeps me feeling fine.

If you want to diet and lose weight, just keep to slightly beneath the daily recommendation and go for a brisk 30 minute run, cycle or hour-long walk, every day. You won't lose 50kg overnight, but after a year or so you'll feel far better. Make sure to have variety in your diet. That's all there is to it.
Get the fibre rich type or rye crackers. Rye flour is apparently good for weight loss

p.s. get off your chunk butt and do some exercise!
Reply 11

Not really, potatoes are just starch with little to no nutrition even with the skin on.
Reply 12
Your body needs more than just crackers.

You can try sweet potato, as it is more nutritious than the plain, but eat a little.
Also, choose whole grain bread instead of white -the thing with this is that it's packed with a lot of nutrients and fiber that can keep you full for a longer time and at the same time you get more health benefits.
And most important, don't over eat. If your goals is weight loss start watching your calorie intake, just to make sure you don't get too little or too much calories .
I know it’s really stupid. I do but I spoke about my problems so many times it’s getting boring now

How long has this been going on for? Might be worth speaking to your GP if this is causing significant distress (which it sounds like it is).
Original post by Pathway
How long has this been going on for? Might be worth speaking to your GP if this is causing significant distress (which it sounds like it is).

I did speak about this to the gp, I’ve been getting therapy and I take meds xx. Thanks for your concern

Quick Reply

Latest