The Student Room Group

what covid restrictions are in place at your uni?

Where I am, police and security are starting to hang around the halls every night, students are being fined £800, being told to go to meetings to discuss their behaviour and getting kicked off their course for having house parties within the halls. I was wondering if you guys are experiencing similar stuff?

Scroll to see replies

No idea. The campus I'm at is in a different city to the main university campus and they don't care what we do as long as nobody gets caught or reported. The main campus, however, has gone all militant and has patrols, made students sign a promise thing (didn't even get to us lmao) etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Ramipril
No idea. The campus I'm at is in a different city to the main university campus and they don't care what we do as long as nobody gets caught or reported. The main campus, however, has gone all militant and has patrols, made students sign a promise thing (didn't even get to us lmao) etc.

That’s crazyy, I can understand it to an extent but it’s just such an intimidating start to uni lol
I'd be interested to know what unis were telling students to expect - staff were told partying would not be allowed, kept in check, etc.?
UK uni's are kind of a disgrace in this aspect. They should have just keep the campuses closed and done online education (can't due to economic reasons obviously), they've just used you all basically.

I enjoyed my time in the UK at Nottingham... But this is absolutely atrocious value for money.

This is why i gladly took myself to the Netherlands for my master's, where at least we are still treated as human beings, yes obviously campus is limited access but there is some on person instruction with no additional security guard or police presence. As far as halls go, most have little enforcement of rules...
Original post by Realitysreflexx
UK uni's are kind of a disgrace in this aspect. They should have just keep the campuses closed and done online education (can't due to economic reasons obviously), they've just used you all basically.

I enjoyed my time in the UK at Nottingham... But this is absolutely atrocious value for money.

This is why i gladly took myself to the Netherlands for my master's, where at least we are still treated as human beings, yes obviously campus is limited access but there is some on person instruction with no additional security guard or police presence. As far as halls go, most have little enforcement of rules...

My halls did. They closed the common room, banned going to other flats and put all activities online. So I terminated my contract on the grounds that I wasn’t getting what I paid for and moved out last weekend.
Reply 6
Original post by Lazarev23
My halls did. They closed the common room, banned going to other flats and put all activities online. So I terminated my contract on the grounds that I wasn’t getting what I paid for and moved out last weekend.

my halls have said that only people in the flat can mix but the other two keep inviting other people in and security literally turned up in hazmat suits . i dont feel safe and want to leave, can I do this, my first rent is due next week
Original post by Missusv
my halls have said that only people in the flat can mix but the other two keep inviting other people in and security literally turned up in hazmat suits . i dont feel safe and want to leave, can I do this, my first rent is due next week

Your situation is very similar to how my halls were. I’m guessing your contract will be similar so there’s probably a clause stating you can only be released from the contract or something along those lines. What you’ll have to do is state your extenuating circumstances and explain that your personal situation has changed since the uk government raised the coronavirus threat level from 3 to 4 on 21st September.

E.g. provide a medical report of a parent and say you need to be home to get groceries/look after them due to their weak immune system and the coronavirus threat. Or that you’ve been laid off work due to the pandemic and can no longer use the accommodation. You can even use the force majeure argument in property law and argue that you cannot possibly fulfil the clause in the contract regarding finding a replacement tenant due to zero demand caused by the new pandemic restrictions that are out of your control. Say you’ve even used large incentives of cash bonuses etc. As long as it’s true and you can prove it, your uni will release you from the contract. PM me if you need any more advice and good luck! :smile:
We're on all online teaching, no uni events or house parties. No mixing with other flats and we are also supposed to socially distance in our flat.
Patrols all the time, students getting fined and some kicked off their courses for breaking rules.
I'm wishing I deferred the year, this is not the uni experience I signed up for. Now we might not even be allowed home for Christmas!!
18 year olds have certainly come off the worst this year!
Original post by Anonymous
We're on all online teaching, no uni events or house parties. No mixing with other flats and we are also supposed to socially distance in our flat.
Patrols all the time, students getting fined and some kicked off their courses for breaking rules.
I'm wishing I deferred the year, this is not the uni experience I signed up for. Now we might not even be allowed home for Christmas!!

See my advice above if you want to terminate your contract. You’ll be able to save up and party hard once this nightmare is over

Yes look into your uni withdrawal protocol and you can avoid paying the tuition fees if you do it quickly.
Reply 11
My flatmates (3 boys that were friends from school and now in first year) keep bringing over a group of people from different flats in my accommodation to have flat parties in the kitchen until 4/5am. I overheard them saying that one of the staff gave them a warning then left and the other receptionist was letting people from different halls come into our accommodation during night even though they weren't residents and he was chill about it?!?!?!

I feel unsafe as there is so many people coming in and out my flat and I'm too intimidated to talk to them about it. I wish receptionists were a lot more strict about what's going on and start patrolling flats to make sure this isn't continuing.
Reply 12
Where I am, police and security are starting to hang around the halls every night, students are being fined £800, being told to go to meetings to discuss their behaviour and getting kicked off their course for having house parties within the halls. I was wondering if you guys are experiencing similar stuff?

If deviant students in your area have provoked such a reaction from the authorities then maybe it will be enough to calm down the Covidiots and then everyone can get back to Covid normal - which isn't going to be that great. What a year this is going to be.
Reply 13
Original post by tiaal
My flatmates (3 boys that were friends from school and now in first year) keep bringing over a group of people from different flats in my accommodation to have flat parties in the kitchen until 4/5am. I overheard them saying that one of the staff gave them a warning then left and the other receptionist was letting people from different halls come into our accommodation during night even though they weren't residents and he was chill about it?!?!?!

I feel unsafe as there is so many people coming in and out my flat and I'm too intimidated to talk to them about it. I wish receptionists were a lot more strict about what's going on and start patrolling flats to make sure this isn't continuing.

Can you report them anonymously? Idiots like that, still acting like school children, may benefit from further official intervention to show them how to behave responsibly.

Perhaps report the receptionist(s) too for enabling the spread of disease and facilitating a breach of the current regulations.
we're not meant to be mingling w other flats but there's not much enforcement of it.
It is absolutley in shamballs. All teaching is online and all the online teaching has been inconsisent and a complete mess. We are not allowed back on campus untill exam season in Jan-April.... really?
Original post by Just_Another_One
It is absolutley in shamballs. All teaching is online and all the online teaching has been inconsisent and a complete mess. We are not allowed back on campus untill exam season in Jan-April.... really?

Agreed.
Timetabling issues and software issues aside.
There is a presumption that everyone has a laptop.
A presumption that everyone is correctly set up to do online learning.

Usually in the first week of uni people are shown how to access the universities intranet and email system.
This year it is all presumed.
I do wonder how many students are just being left behind.
Hi,

I can understand the frustration from students, however it's been a difficult time for universities to adapt to constant changes and adhering to government advice. As a lecturer, I really sympathise with students in regards to the university experience - however every student, lecturer and university are in the exact same position. Timetabling, especially at my university has been an issue - mainly due to class space limitations - meaning a typical tutorial must be held over 4 different sessions, that and issues with signing in alongside

We're all trying our best to provide the best experience possible - with the restrictions we have in place.

All the best with your studies,
Dr Adams
Original post by Just_Another_One

Hey, which uni is this? Sorry to hear about your situation
Tbh the more I read and see if I was a first year I would withdraw if I could afford it. You may have a cooling off period at your uni of 2 weeks and Sfe would only charge you 25%"of tuition fees at worst. Talk to your uni about leaving your accommodation contact They are not providing any facillities or face to face teaching so it is a waste of time. What is worse is it is deliberate and gov knew it would happen. Hopefully proposed court cases will go ahead. I would also suggest you email your Mp and the local MP and outline what is going on.

Quick Reply

Latest