Bruno1010
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello everyone,
Can anyone suggest between Strathclyde and Exeter for MSc in Business Analytics.
Domenico7
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How do they rank? I think it's unlikely you'll find someone who has done both degrees so they can't really give a well-rounded breakdown. Additionally, I'd consider the campuses (presuming you can even go this year), the cities themselves, and the links the unis have with industry for instance.
I had to decide between Glasgow and Exeter for my MSc and a large part for me was that Exeter had a specific focus on an aspect I don't really have an interest in - especially not having an interest in that aspect as a career. Glasgow made more sense for me as the course sounded really interesting and I wanted to be in a bigger city. I did a road trip of Scotland last year and absolutely loved it and want to see way more of it, and I also have a close friend in Glasgow which would make it more comfortable.
Bruno1010
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Domenico7)
How do they rank? I think it's unlikely you'll find someone who has done both degrees so they can't really give a well-rounded breakdown. Additionally, I'd consider the campuses (presuming you can even go this year), the cities themselves, and the links the unis have with industry for instance.
I had to decide between Glasgow and Exeter for my MSc and a large part for me was that Exeter had a specific focus on an aspect I don't really have an interest in - especially not having an interest in that aspect as a career. Glasgow made more sense for me as the course sounded really interesting and I wanted to be in a bigger city. I did a road trip of Scotland last year and absolutely loved it and want to see way more of it, and I also have a close friend in Glasgow which would make it more comfortable.
For Business Analytics, the University of Strathclyde ranks better compared to Exeter University.
I had two doubts as to which university I should choose:
a) Strathclyde is not a russell group university. Moreover the overall ranking of Exeter University is way better.
b) Exeter being in England might have better job prospects as compared to Glasgow. ( Being Indian, maybe job opportunities are restricted in Scotland for me.)
University of Strathclyde
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello Bruno1010 Hope you're good! Glad to hear you're considering us for your Postgraduate course! Is it our Business Analysis & Consulting MSc you're looking in to?

I think I'd echo a lot of what Domenico7 has said to factor in while you're making your decision. Our Business School has a fantastic reputation for offering great teaching, we have a great international presence and community at Strathclyde. Although we may not be a Russell Group university... it's worth noting that we are currently the Times Higher Education University of the Year! We've also previously won the Times Higher Education Business School of the Year, and have won a number of other awards this year too. So don't rule out us non-Russell Group unis.. we have loads to offer!

Glasgow is a great place to live, work and study. We are known for being incredibly friendly as a community, and you are certainly welcome no matter where you come from! I'd certainly not say you are in any way disadvantaged based on this either. Regardless of where you decide to live following graduation, you'll have the full support of our Careers Service and others you'll have networked with over the course of your degree to help you find a job. The employment market can be really tricky to navigate, and will likely continue to be going forward - but you'll have loads of advice available to you from academics and experts in their field

I hope this maybe helps a little? Let me know what you're thinking and if I can get you any more info please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Good luck!
-Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

ps Domenico7, so glad to hear that you fell in love with Scotland/Glasgow when you visited!! Love hearing that others have visited and then decided to make it their home too.. it's a great place to be!! Hope you're still loving it and your course is going well.
Bruno1010
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello Caitlin,
Thank you so much for all the help. Yes I am considering Msc Business Analytics and Consulting for January 2021 intake.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Bruno1010)
Hello Caitlin,
Thank you so much for all the help. Yes I am considering Msc Business Analytics and Consulting for January 2021 intake.
Bruno1010 Great! Be sure to let me know if you've any other questions I can help with while you're making your decision Would love to know what you decide.

Best of luck with your application!

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Sentenced_to
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
a) Strathclyde is not a russell group university. Moreover the overall ranking of Exeter University is way better.
So I should go to Liverpool instead of St. Andrews, right? LOL

Russell is nothing more than marketing. Yes they are good universities but that's it.
lukayl
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, can I piggyback and ask you a question re the course content of the Strathclyde programme? I am intrigued about the syllabus, but I am worried about my math adequacy. Can I ask how hard the math is in the course? At what level? Is calculus involved in? Thank you.
lukayl
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For Business Analytics, the University of Strathclyde ranks better compared to Exeter University.
I had two doubts as to which university I should choose:
b) Exeter being in England might have better job prospects as compared to Glasgow. ( Being Indian, maybe job opportunities are restricted in Scotland for me.)
Scotland is not an independent country yet. You can find any job in the UK from anywhere in the UK.
Domenico7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lukayl)
Hi, can I piggyback and ask you a question re the course content of the Strathclyde programme? I am intrigued about the syllabus, but I am worried about my math adequacy. Can I ask how hard the math is in the course? At what level? Is calculus involved in? Thank you.
Hey! I'm not a Business student, I just meant in general regarding Strathclyde v Exeter! Sorry I can't be of help.
Domenico7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Scotland is not an independent country yet. You can find any job in the UK from anywhere in the UK.
I agree with you here - it's so common for people to relocate for jobs, even 4-5h drive from where they're based at that time. I doubt an employer will write you off unless it's for some obscure subjective reason which you can never really predict.
lukayl
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey! I'm not a Business student, I just meant in general regarding Strathclyde v Exeter! Sorry I can't be of help.
That's OK. Thank you anyway.
Bruno1010
Rep:
?
I agree with you here - it's so common for people to relocate for jobs, even 4-5h drive from where they're based at that time. I doubt an employer will write you off unless it's for some obscure subjective reason which you can never really predict.
I had a question. Can we get part times jobs easily and can these be further converted to full time after post graduation ?
Domenico7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I had a question. Can we get part times jobs easily and can these be further converted to full time after post graduation ?
As in part time jobs while you study your Master's at the company you then wish to work for after graduating?
Bruno1010
Rep:
?
As in part time jobs while you study your Master's at the company you then wish to work for after graduating?
yes
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey there lukayl If you're worried about any of the specific course content and haven't been able to get a jist of things here yet, can I advise you use the course page to chat to the Business School? It looks like they are using the Live Chat function just now and are available to chat, so pop them a message there. If they're not available when you click in you'll also find their contact email address there, this should be helpful.

Hi again Bruno1010 You can certainly look in to this option! I've heard this more for jobs in retail/call centres etc- sometimes our students will work at the weekends and 'up' their hours to full time once they graduate/during the summer months. I think if you find a company that take you on part time and once you're in the door you can always network really well and increase your hours if you've been able to show you're a good employee, and I'm sure you would Good luck!

- Caitlin
Bruno1010
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Strathclyde)
Hey there lukayl If you're worried about any of the specific course content and haven't been able to get a jist of things here yet, can I advise you use the course page to chat to the Business School? It looks like they are using the Live Chat function just now and are available to chat, so pop them a message there. If they're not available when you click in you'll also find their contact email address there, this should be helpful.

Hi again Bruno1010 You can certainly look in to this option! I've heard this more for jobs in retail/call centres etc- sometimes our students will work at the weekends and 'up' their hours to full time once they graduate/during the summer months. I think if you find a company that take you on part time and once you're in the door you can always network really well and increase your hours if you've been able to show you're a good employee, and I'm sure you would Good luck!

- Caitlin
Hi Caitlin, Thank you so much again. I was wondering if the University has decided to start a jan 2021 intake for Msc Business Analysis and Consulting?
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi Caitlin, Thank you so much again. I was wondering if the University has decided to start a jan 2021 intake for Msc Business Analysis and Consulting?
Hi Bruno1010 Yes, we have a January 2021 intake for that programme! You can apply for it via the course page on our website :^_^: If you scroll down to the 'Apply' section you'll see there is a '2021' tab for the January 2021 intake applications

- Caitlin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.56%
I'm not sure (56)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (588)
48.64%

Watched Threads