The Student Room Group

Handing in your Two weeks notice-HELP

So I’m thinking about resigning from my position. I adore my place of work and it hasn’t been a easy decision for me to make, but my workplace really hasn’t been the same since we got back from lockdown, my last two pays have been horrendously low and I don’t feel like business will pick up that much by Christmas either. So I’m currently looking for new jobs and as soon as I find something and get it. I’ll be of course handing in my notice.

I’ve never handed my notice in before at any of my other workplaces as these were temp positions that couldn’t take anyone on after the contract ended. So I need some advice on notice’s and how I have to go about things.

A few people have left my workplace, and they’ve emailed my manager personally instead of handing a physical letter into him. However I don’t know if they’ve attached a letter to the email, which I’m gathering they have. Which I’m guessing would have been their letter of resignation.

So if I wanted to hand in my notice what is the best way to do this?

I was thinking that I’d email in explaining I was resigning and that I’ll work my two weeks notice and then I was going to attach a formal word document going into detail.

What would I put in the letter exactly, how would I address my manager in this document and what do I put in the actual document and in what order?

Also, do I have to tell my manager I’m leaving (in person) before I hand in my notice and letter of resignation or is it still respectful to just let him know like others have via email?

Thank you for any advice you can give me because as you can see I’m a novice at handing in of notice and resigning etc.
other people may be better placed to advise as long time since I handed my notice in. However when I was a manager it was always done first in person, with a letter given either at the time following the conversation or soon after. I would then expect it to be followed up by e mail with letter attached
Reply 2
https://www.gov.uk/handing-in-your-notice

read the above link. you need to check your employment contact on how to give notice :smile:
Original post by ilovelemons
other people may be better placed to advise as long time since I handed my notice in. However when I was a manager it was always done first in person, with a letter given either at the time following the conversation or soon after. I would then expect it to be followed up by e mail with letter attached

Thank you for your reply, and what would you write in the initial letter given in person? Would that just usually be a short letter saying you’re giving two weeks notice and will be ending your employment by (insert date)

And I’m guessing the letter attached to the email would be more in depth, or would it just be to reiterate the 1st given letter?

Thanks again for the advice. I think Personally I will hand write my two weeks notice and give it in person and then type an email with the letter typed up and attached
Original post by Musicgirl97
So I’m thinking about resigning from my position. I adore my place of work and it hasn’t been a easy decision for me to make, but my workplace really hasn’t been the same since we got back from lockdown, my last two pays have been horrendously low and I don’t feel like business will pick up that much by Christmas either. So I’m currently looking for new jobs and as soon as I find something and get it. I’ll be of course handing in my notice.

I’ve never handed my notice in before at any of my other workplaces as these were temp positions that couldn’t take anyone on after the contract ended. So I need some advice on notice’s and how I have to go about things.

A few people have left my workplace, and they’ve emailed my manager personally instead of handing a physical letter into him. However I don’t know if they’ve attached a letter to the email, which I’m gathering they have. Which I’m guessing would have been their letter of resignation.

So if I wanted to hand in my notice what is the best way to do this?

I was thinking that I’d email in explaining I was resigning and that I’ll work my two weeks notice and then I was going to attach a formal word document going into detail.

What would I put in the letter exactly, how would I address my manager in this document and what do I put in the actual document and in what order?

Also, do I have to tell my manager I’m leaving (in person) before I hand in my notice and letter of resignation or is it still respectful to just let him know like others have via email?

Thank you for any advice you can give me because as you can see I’m a novice at handing in of notice and resigning etc.

It's best to give your notice in in person.
Just write a letter addressed to your manager, saying that you will be leaving. Thank him/her for the opportunities. And say that you are giving X amount of notice and that your last working day will be on X date. Keep it short and sweet.
You don't need to go into details about your new job etc. They will have had people left before so it won't be a new thing for them.
Original post by Emma:-)
It's best to give your notice in in person.
Just write a letter addressed to your manager, saying that you will be leaving. Thank him/her for the opportunities. And say that you are giving X amount of notice and that your last working day will be on X date. Keep it short and sweet.
You don't need to go into details about your new job etc. They will have had people left before so it won't be a new thing for them.

Thank you for your reply! That seems so much more simpler and effective.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending