The Student Room Group

Applying to study Chemsitry undergraduate

Hi, im applying to study Chemistry in the next few months and was wondering if anyone could help me.
I am planning on applying to Uni of Bristol, Uni of Manchester, Cardiff Uni and im stuck on my last two choices but it is between University of Birmingham, Uni of Southampton and Uni of Nottingham. Its rather difficult choosing without any open days.
Which two would you pick for your final two choices? and does anyone know if the uni of birmingham accept access for Chemistry because i emailed and still havent had a reply.
Thank you.
@CheeseIsVeg studies chemistry at Southampton and might be able to offer some insight into the course/department there :smile:
Original post by artful_lounger
@CheeseIsVeg studies chemistry at Southampton and might be able to offer some insight into the course/department there :smile:

Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by Rainbowpink1999x
Hi, im applying to study Chemistry in the next few months and was wondering if anyone could help me.
I am planning on applying to Uni of Bristol, Uni of Manchester, Cardiff Uni and im stuck on my last two choices but it is between University of Birmingham, Uni of Southampton and Uni of Nottingham. Its rather difficult choosing without any open days.
Which two would you pick for your final two choices? and does anyone know if the uni of birmingham accept access for Chemistry because i emailed and still havent had a reply.
Thank you.

Hey there :hello:
Did you have any specific questions about Chemistry or Southampton in general? :smile:
I'm going into my final year of MChem Chemistry at Southampton (4th year) so feel free to ask me anything :woo:
Cheese :bump:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Hey there :hello:
Did you have any specific questions about Chemistry or Southampton in general? :smile:
I'm going into my final year of MChem Chemistry at Southampton (4th year) so feel free to ask me anything :woo:
Cheese :bump:

Awesome thank you for responding, do you mind me asking where else you applied to and why you ended up deciding on Southampton?
I have signed up to the virtual open day and will join that but it isn't for a weeks or so.
Is it a huge step up from a-levels? and have you been able to have a part time job whilst studying, if not would time allow me to as i really need to due to getting a small maintenance loan? Thanks for your help!
Original post by Rainbowpink1999x
Awesome thank you for responding, do you mind me asking where else you applied to and why you ended up deciding on Southampton?
I have signed up to the virtual open day and will join that but it isn't for a weeks or so.
Is it a huge step up from a-levels? and have you been able to have a part time job whilst studying, if not would time allow me to as i really need to due to getting a small maintenance loan? Thanks for your help!

No problem. :smile: Happy to help!

I am not sure how this helps but I also applied to Imperial, Birmingham, York and Durham.
I decided on Southampton because of the optional modules and research integrity. I knew research was something I was interested in after doing a Nuffield Research Placement and the Chemistry department at Southampton is very highly regarded in terms of research. It's also so easy to get involved in funded opportunities! In my 2nd year I did a really cool research project in the summer looking at how different compounds found in water adsorbed onto microplastics :woo:

Furthermore I knew organic chemistry wasn't my favourite so I focussed on the range of optional modules available. There are some truly great ones, my favourites so far: Atmospheric chemistry, electrochemistry, sustainable chemistry, analytical chemistry and aquatic chemistry. I also did space science and French for some variety in my 1st year :tongue:

I would say it's definitely more in-depth and it's hard work at times but if you are genuinely interested in chemistry - it won't be a problem :yep:
Chemistry has a very high workload and I would highly advise against a part-time job
What would definitely be better suited is a casual work role. I worked for the Chemistry department and University on multiple occasions. E.g you can become a student ambassador and get paid just over £8.30 an hour helping show students around the department or at open days and it's something you can definitely do alongside your degree. Also why not check out jobs posted by the Student Union? That's another great way to earn some cash and not be stressing out too much about uni deadlines!
A contractual obligation to do x hours alongside your degree (especially from year 2 onwards) it's not something that's a good idea. Chemistry is hard, you will have lab reports, workshops and tutorials as well as your own studies when reviewing lecture material to do. You cannot do a job at the same time really.

General Money Advice :
-Ask your parents if there's any way they are able to support you. Every year the price of accommodation goes up, maintenance loans are usually based on household income so if you are getting a low loan, your parents are supposedly expected to contribute.
-Ask them what the situation is and whether they can even just start you off with some basics before you get your footing with budgeting.
-Go for cheaper accommodation. No you don't need a premium studio or ensuite. You just need a roof over your head, nice bed, kitchen, utilities, internet and large desk :smile:
-Look out for savings. This can be anywhere such as buying things in bulk so its cheaper per item or if you're musical, buying the orchestra membership at the start of the year at a discounted rate etc.
-See above for job stuff

Hope this helps,
Cheese
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
No problem. :smile: Happy to help!

I am not sure how this helps but I also applied to Imperial, Birmingham, York and Durham.
I decided on Southampton because of the optional modules and research integrity. I knew research was something I was interested in after doing a Nuffield Research Placement and the Chemistry department at Southampton is very highly regarded in terms of research. It's also so easy to get involved in funded opportunities! In my 2nd year I did a really cool research project in the summer looking at how different compounds found in water adsorbed onto microplastics :woo:

Furthermore I knew organic chemistry wasn't my favourite so I focussed on the range of optional modules available. There are some truly great ones, my favourites so far: Atmospheric chemistry, electrochemistry, sustainable chemistry, analytical chemistry and aquatic chemistry. I also did space science and French for some variety in my 1st year :tongue:

I would say it's definitely more in-depth and it's hard work at times but if you are genuinely interested in chemistry - it won't be a problem :yep:
Chemistry has a very high workload and I would highly advise against a part-time job
What would definitely be better suited is a casual work role. I worked for the Chemistry department and University on multiple occasions. E.g you can become a student ambassador and get paid just over £8.30 an hour helping show students around the department or at open days and it's something you can definitely do alongside your degree. Also why not check out jobs posted by the Student Union? That's another great way to earn some cash and not be stressing out too much about uni deadlines!
A contractual obligation to do x hours alongside your degree (especially from year 2 onwards) it's not something that's a good idea. Chemistry is hard, you will have lab reports, workshops and tutorials as well as your own studies when reviewing lecture material to do. You cannot do a job at the same time really.

General Money Advice :
-Ask your parents if there's any way they are able to support you. Every year the price of accommodation goes up, maintenance loans are usually based on household income so if you are getting a low loan, your parents are supposedly expected to contribute.
-Ask them what the situation is and whether they can even just start you off with some basics before you get your footing with budgeting.
-Go for cheaper accommodation. No you don't need a premium studio or ensuite. You just need a roof over your head, nice bed, kitchen, utilities, internet and large desk :smile:
-Look out for savings. This can be anywhere such as buying things in bulk so its cheaper per item or if you're musical, buying the orchestra membership at the start of the year at a discounted rate etc.
-See above for job stuff

Hope this helps,
Cheese

Perfect thats really helpful. Unfortunately when I will be attending University ill be 22-25 and by parents don't want to provide for someone of that age, which is understandable and at that age i wouldnt want to be using lots of my parents money either. Already planning on getting the cheapest accommodation and will just have to learn to budget well :smile: thanks for letting me know about student ambassador etc i will definitely look into that.
Thank you once again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending