Matt Grieves
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm looking to go to university as a mature age student. Having not done formal study for sometime and never been to university so would like some information on access to HE diplomas. Can anyone please give advice on institutions that offer the diplomas and if some are regarded as better than others? Also if there would be any issues studying the diploma by distance education? Looking at studying International Relations if anyone has advice on what might be the best course for that field. Thanks
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Matt Grieves)
I'm looking to go to university as a mature age student. Having not done formal study for sometime and never been to university so would like some information on access to HE diplomas. Can anyone please give advice on institutions that offer the diplomas and if some are regarded as better than others? Also if there would be any issues studying the diploma by distance education? Looking at studying International Relations if anyone has advice on what might be the best course for that field. Thanks
Do you have GCSE English and Maths?
How mature?

You have a choice of brick or online. I would take brick as you get a tutor and classmates.

You have a choice of access courses, but in your case I would choose the social science one.

You can find them here , but it doesnt cover all of them as your college might have ones not in the database.
https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/course-search

I believe prestige isnt an issue and its focused purely on the grade. Some might have better teaching.

If you do distance then your issues are finding a reliable provider and being disciplined so you dont fall behind. You also need to make sure you get enough feedback for the quality of your work otherwise you wont need if you need to improve or how. It can get quite lonely.

I did a timeline of how the whole process works for a mature student a few days ago, will see if I cna find it.
Matt Grieves
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Do you have GCSE English and Maths?
How mature?

You have a choice of brick or online. I would take brick as you get a tutor and classmates.

You have a choice of access courses, but in your case I would choose the social science one.

You can find them here , but it doesnt cover all of them as your college might have ones not in the database.
https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/course-search

I believe prestige isnt an issue and its focused purely on the grade. Some might have better teaching.

If you do distance then your issues are finding a reliable provider and being disciplined so you dont fall behind. You also need to make sure you get enough feedback for the quality of your work otherwise you wont need if you need to improve or how. It can get quite lonely.

I did a timeline of how the whole process works for a mature student a few days ago, will see if I cna find it.
Thanks for the response! I'm 35 so well and truly out of school. I went to school in Australia so don't have GCSE and did not do well in Maths anyway for my Australian High School certificate. Will I also need to address the GCSE issue on top of studying for the Access to HE diploma?
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks for the response! I'm 35 so well and truly out of school. I went to school in Australia so don't have GCSE and did not do well in Maths anyway for my Australian High School certificate. Will I also need to address the GCSE issue on top of studying for the Access to HE diplomaa
Yes you should deal with it.
Depending on the college they may ask you to do so before the access or others will let you deal with it during. Are you looking at doing it 2020?
Normally they let you do it at the same time.
You will need them before you apply or get into uni (varies on uni).
Matt Grieves
Rep:
?
Yes you should deal with it.
Depending on the college they may ask you to do so before the access or others will let you deal with it during. Are you looking at doing it 2020?
Normally they let you do it at the same time.
You will need them before you apply or get into uni (varies on uni).
Yes looking at 2020. Would have to be online though as I'm in Australia until covid restrictions ease up.
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes looking at 2020. Would have to be online though as I'm in Australia until covid restrictions ease up.
Are you expecting to fund this yourself?
Matt Grieves
Rep:
?
Are you expecting to fund this yourself?
I can if need be. I saw something about assistance though that then gets written off if you finish you're degree?
Plain1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Find out if the uni course you want needs maths. If they do, find out if they need higher gcse maths, or if you just need a pass. Because you say you're not good at maths, consider doing your maths before the Access to HE course. If you want high grades in both you'll need to be able to concentrate fully. 4 subjects is a lot for someone who has been out of education for a long time.

Some uni courses accept level 2 functional skills, but again, check with each one you want to apply to.

Access to HE fees can be written off when you graduate. That is only if you're entitled to UK student finance.

Social sciences is a good choice for Access, that's what I did. I did most of mine online but was a brick college, I'm not a fan of in-person classes.

Check what you want to progress to and make a plan. It's an expensive mistake if you don't do it right first time.
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
I can if need be. I saw something about assistance though that then gets written off if you finish you're degree?
I'm talking about resolving the conundrum of being in Oz whilst the course starts.
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
You will need to be in the UK.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (57)
14.84%
I'm not sure (14)
3.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (130)
33.85%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.56%
I'm not a current university student (177)
46.09%

Watched Threads