Hiro2468
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
No seriously I don't know how to revise. I've tried mind maps, "blurting", flashcards etc and I still ain't getting the stuff to stick in my head. I'm not getting the grades I need for Uni and it's stressing me out especially since our school is just drowning us in tests and mocks for our predicted grades!

I have to revise year 1 content stimulaneously with year 2 content. I don't know how to bloody revise and my grades aren't improving!
Please I really need advice.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
What subjects are you taking?
username5383500
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
It's pretty difficult to tell someone else how to revise, as what works for one person won't work for someone else. You're actually in a better position than some people, because you've identified methods that don't work for you. Keep trying different stuff until you find a method that does work.

You may find it useful to use the TSR search function, or Google, to find more ideas for how to revise that you can try out.
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
What subjects are you taking?
Maths, Economics and German
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
(Original post by AcseI)
It's pretty difficult to tell someone else how to revise, as what works for one person won't work for someone else. You're actually in a better position than some people, because you've identified methods that don't work for you. Keep trying different stuff until you find a method that does work.

You may find it useful to use the TSR search function, or Google, to find more ideas for how to revise that you can try out.
That's true, I just wanted to hear other ideas maybe something new other than the normal revision advice given.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Hiro2468)
Maths, Economics and German
Ah, unfortunately I don’t take those subjects but the above user has given some great advice.

You need to also use past papers. If you attempt many exam-questions, you will start to see a pattern. The questions will start repeating (not the same question, but very similar. Usually the only thing that changes is the scenario).
Last edited by 5hyl33n; 11 months ago
username5383500
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
That's true, I just wanted to hear other ideas maybe something new other than the normal revision advice given.
Honestly the usual advice is typically given because that's what works for most people.

You may find that it's not a matter of methods not working, but a more basic issue in your implementation. To give an example, say you read notes as a revision technique and it doesn't work. Maybe that's because reading notes isn't a good method for you. Or maybe it's because your notes aren't good, maybe they're too verbose or don't cover all the required information or you don't put enough time into them.

It's often worth exploring whether the issue is with your implementation or the method itself. If you try lots of methods and find that nothing works, it may be your approach that's the problem rather than the methods.
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
(Original post by AcseI)
Honestly the usual advice is typically given because that's what works for most people.

You may find that it's not a matter of methods not working, but a more basic issue in your implementation. To give an example, say you read notes as a revision technique and it doesn't work. Maybe that's because reading notes isn't a good method for you. Or maybe it's because your notes aren't good, maybe they're too verbose or don't cover all the required information or you don't put enough time into them.

It's often worth exploring whether the issue is with your implementation or the method itself. If you try lots of methods and find that nothing works, it may be your approach that's the problem rather than the methods.
Thanks for your insight! I think my notes are fine and I only write the important information I just feel like I'm writing notes but not actually learning it, if that makes sense?

It's like I'm tricking myself that I'm revising but not actually knowing anything.
username5383500
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Thanks for your insight! I think my notes are fine and I only write the important information I just feel like I'm writing notes but not actually learning it, if that makes sense?

It's like I'm tricking myself that I'm revising but not actually knowing anything.
The note example was purely meant as an example, not something to read into. It may well be that notes aren't suitable for you, but it was only used as a comparison between poor revision methods and poorly implemented revision.

Perhaps you need to take a step back. Forget about revision for a second, think about the stuff you remember easily and why that may be. It could be anything, phone numbers, birthdays, things related to hobbies, skills, etc. Look at the things you remember and try to isolate the reason for that. As an example, and this may not apply to you, I'm aware that I easily remember numerical patterns, and can create links between seemingly arbitrary numerical data. So when I studied Psychology it was really natural for me to think "oh that result is my door number, that result is 3 times the participants, this result is two thirds this other result".

It may also be useful if you can measure methods. For example pick something you don't know. Just one fact or piece of information that you need to remember. Try different techniques until you can measure that you've remembered something. Then try to repeat that with more information
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
(Original post by AcseI)
The note example was purely meant as an example, not something to read into. It may well be that notes aren't suitable for you, but it was only used as a comparison between poor revision methods and poorly implemented revision.

Perhaps you need to take a step back. Forget about revision for a second, think about the stuff you remember easily and why that may be. It could be anything, phone numbers, birthdays, things related to hobbies, skills, etc. Look at the things you remember and try to isolate the reason for that. As an example, and this may not apply to you, I'm aware that I easily remember numerical patterns, and can create links between seemingly arbitrary numerical data. So when I studied Psychology it was really natural for me to think "oh that result is my door number, that result is 3 times the participants, this result is two thirds this other result".

It may also be useful if you can measure methods. For example pick something you don't know. Just one fact or piece of information that you need to remember. Try different techniques until you can measure that you've remembered something. Then try to repeat that with more information
Thank you for the advice! I'm not really sure how I remember some things, I just do but I'll keep looking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.51%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.81%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (35)
16.28%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (32)
14.88%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (58)
26.98%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed