Open days attended Watch

This discussion is closed.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Which uni's did you go to for an open day? Did you apply to that uni after attending the open day?
Chris87
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I went to City, Goldsmiths, Westminster, London Metropolitan. Weren't too impressed by Westminster and London Metropolitan but I needed to use them to fill up my 6 choices. City were really good because I could speak to the lecturers and get a decent tour! They also weren't partronising like London Metropolitan who made comments such as: "Do you think you can get 2 D's at A-level?" and "We hope to see you in a year making websites." (I already have years of experience in making websites!). I also wasn't very impressed with Westminster using old computers with a seriously outdated version of Windows.
trev
Rep:
?
I went to Luton, UWE, Salford, and Staffordshire. Out of the 4, I put UWE and Salford on my application form.
joesharp
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Went to open days at Southampton, York, KCL and Exeter before applying. Decided not to apply to KCL as I don't like the idea of living in Central London. Didn't really like Southampton but applied anyway, regret it now though. Loved both York and Exeter though.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Mine: Salford, MMU and Bolton.

I decided if I didn't get in either MMU or Salford I would not bother with Bolton. It probably would have been a waste of my time.
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I went to Southampton Institute about 3 times and Bournemouth.
Applied to both of them. Was going to go to a Portsmouth open day but was too late and lazy.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by trev)
Which uni's did you go to for an open day? Did you apply to that uni after attending the open day?
I've only went to one open day (LSE) before applying. I thought that the departmental open day after you've been given an offer is the more important one.
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Went to open days at Cardiff, Exeter, Nottingham, York, Reading and Sheffield. Applied to Cardiff, Exeter and Sheffield out of the ones I visited. Mainly because I hated Nottingham, thought York was too campusy, and Reading is too close to home
PublicSchoolAnn
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Iv only been to Edinburgh. I will visit the universities when i actually have to make a decision.
Saree
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have only been to Goldsmiths and fell in love with it!
marychrist
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I visited open days for glasgow, strathclyde and sussex. I wasn't particularly impressed with strathclyde but I applied anyway to fill up my 6 choices and now regret it. I applied for glasgow and sussex also.
trev
Rep:
?
If it's a choice to fill up the 6 choices, it can be random, and don't need to accept it. For me, I didn't regret it, as it was random.
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Mine: Salford, MMU and Bolton.

I decided if I didn't get in either MMU or Salford I would not bother with Bolton. It probably would have been a waste of my time.
As is MMU! haha!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
As is MMU! haha!
I'm not too sure, but I do no Bolton was a shambles beyond believe. I think the main problem with MMU is it trades too much on the location and dosn't have enough history.
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I'm not too sure, but I do no Bolton was a shambles beyond believe. I think the main problem with MMU is it trades too much on the location and dosn't have enough history.
Well I know that for most of their sciences courses they want like 4-6 points or something (old UCAS system) which is laughable!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
Well I know that for most of their sciences courses they want like 4-6 points or something (old UCAS system) which is laughable!
That may have changed since though, for computing they wanted 220 points from me, although they said on their perspectus they wanted 160. Although both sectors have declined a little bit since 2002 so it wouldn't really surprise me. I do know people who have got in UMIST with 240 points though.

160 points is higher than 4-6 points though, thats less than one A level or two E's or somthing. Are sure this not for HND?

MMU has never had any problems with demand though, thats why I can't understand why they do pitch their grades so low. I guess if their grades were higher than that demand would really drop.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It seems you're right.

http://www.mmu.ac.uk/courses/course_...ourses_id=7282

I'm quite shocked at how low them entry requirements are.
RachelBabyfrog
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I went to an open day at Nottingham and loved it. I visited Royal Holloway in the summer on their clearing open day because it happened to fall when I happened to be down there, and I didn't click with it at all- I was glad I went or I definitely would have applied. I visited Oxford for an informal tour the day before I went to RH and thought it was fantastic (oh well!!)... I visited Durham for a day (not an open day), had a lovely lunch and looked around a couple of colleges I was considering. In the end I applied to a college I haven't looked around at all, lol. I visited Sheffield off my own back and didn't see a great deal of the university, but thought the city was way above my expectations. I visited Loughborough and thought it was very pleasant. So, that was 2 real open days and 4 non-official ones... and I never visited Cardiff at all.

I'm visiting Loughborough for an official open day in Feb, Sheffield in March and probably Cardiff in March... I think it will be important to have met the people who might be teaching me before I make a final decision.
-xsarahx-
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I visited Sheffield and really liked it. Manchester and Birmingham were good too. I visited Nottingham and hated it so didn't apply. If we went to general open days before we sent off our ucas is it still worth going to the open days that the Uni tells you about when they accept you? I might visit Sheffield again, but i'm not sure whether it will be a waste of time...
trev
Rep:
?
Most people visit open days before applying through UCAS. No point attending open days after you apply - maybe after attending, you may not like it, and hence wasted a choice.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (90)
20%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (181)
40.22%
Nope, not that interesting (179)
39.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise