Sprout67
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Is there a way to check my personal statement for plagiarism, I’ve written it all myself but I’m worried that it could still be marked up for plagiarism, any help?
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you’ve written it all yourself then there’s no need to worry about plagiarism. Plagiarism happens when people copy large chunks or multiple sentences or phrases from other people. If your personal statement is your own then don’t worry. Also, don’t submit it to an online plagiarism checker because sometimes these record them so that when you actually submit your work/ PS it will appear that you have plagiarised.
Sprout67
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Phoenixfeather99)
If you’ve written it all yourself then there’s no need to worry about plagiarism. Plagiarism happens when people copy large chunks or multiple sentences or phrases from other people. If your personal statement is your own then don’t worry. Also, don’t submit it to an online plagiarism checker because sometimes these record them so that when you actually submit your work/ PS it will appear that you have plagiarised.
Oh thank you so much! I was worried about it and didn’t want to get flagged up for plagiarism
Phoenixfeather99
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sprout67)
Oh thank you so much! I was worried about it and didn’t want to get flagged up for plagiarism
It’s fine. I was exactly the same when I came to submitting my PS but my tutor told me not to submit to a plagiarism checker because a few years previous someone did so and then when they submitted got done for plagiarism. It can happen in uni as well. Never submit to online checkers. If your work is your own then your fine. At uni, make sure you reference correctly, but you’ll be told how to do this or where to look to learn about it.
nyx2911
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It’s fine. I was exactly the same when I came to submitting my PS but my tutor told me not to submit to a plagiarism checker because a few years previous someone did so and then when they submitted got done for plagiarism. It can happen in uni as well. Never submit to online checkers. If your work is your own then your fine. At uni, make sure you reference correctly, but you’ll be told how to do this or where to look to learn about it.
Im freaking out now because i submitted it to a plagiarism checker when it was still in the early stages ( I've redrafted it at least 7-8 times since) but I wasn't aware of this .

I checked for plagiarism because I was citing and paraphrasing a few authors and books. What should I do if it gets flagged?
Phoenixfeather99
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nyx2911)
Im freaking out now because i submitted it to a plagiarism checker when it was still in the early stages ( I've redrafted it at least 7-8 times since) but I wasn't aware of this .

I checked for plagiarism because I was citing and paraphrasing a few authors and books. What should I do if it gets flagged?
Don’t panic. If you have re-written multiple times since then and made clear that you are paraphrasing and referencing others in your PS then you should be fine. Just don’t get it rechecked. Most online checkers are honest and won’t record your work, but some will. It’s always best to be safe and never show anyone your work to check even your friends because plagiarism is very serious.
Plain1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

It may have a percentage flagged as plagiarism but as long as its not much you'll be fine. Tbh I don't think citing and paraphrasing is a good idea for your personal statement. It's to sell yourself, not books and their authors.
nyx2911
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don’t panic. If you have re-written multiple times since then and made clear that you are paraphrasing and referencing others in your PS then you should be fine. Just don’t get it rechecked. Most online checkers are honest and won’t record your work, but some will. It’s always best to be safe and never show anyone your work to check even your friends because plagiarism is very serious.
Yea thank you for your quick reply- I just checked with that site, apparently, they don't save the data. And I haven't shown my PS to anyone apart from my counsellor and parents.
(Original post by plainjayne1)
It may have a percentage flagged as plagiarism but as long as its not much you'll be fine. Tbh I don't think citing and paraphrasing is a good idea for your personal statement. It's to sell yourself, not books and their authors.
Thank you, I'd just started out with a huge PS coz I wanted to write down all the points before polishing it so I'd put in everything. Of course, now I'm just referencing one book and a notable article- because they genuinely interested me and are connected to why I chose to pursue the course.
Plain1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yea thank you for your quick reply- I just checked with that site, apparently, they don't save the data. And I haven't shown my PS to anyone apart from my counsellor and parents.

Thank you, I'd just started out with a huge PS coz I wanted to write down all the points before polishing it so I'd put in everything. Of course, now I'm just referencing one book and a notable article- because they genuinely interested me and are connected to why I chose to pursue the course.
Just as long as you haven't used a lot of your characters on referencing other work.
I use plagiarism checkers quite a bit and never had a problem. Many people use the same opening line, that shows up as plagiarism but is discounted because its just one of those things. Don't worry too much. I over thought my PS and really wish I never. My PS opened with a cliche and in the end it just didn't matter because I got my place.
Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.13%
I'm not sure (26)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.63%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.12%
I'm not a current university student (269)
47.53%

Watched Threads