The Student Room Group

My brother wants to do gcse but spaces for year 10 and 11 are full

Hi, my younger brother has been out of school since year 7 for personal reason, but he’s 16 now and wants to go back and do his GCSEs. Every school we call seem to have no space for both year 10 and 11 and now we don’t know what do. Any help please?
(edited 3 years ago)
This happened with my sister when she went into year 7. You have to speak to your local council directly by emailing/calling so they can reinstate him into your preferred school as soon as possible!
Original post by Lmao133
Hi, my younger brother has been out of school since year 7 for personal reason, but he’s 16 now and wants to go back and do his GCSEs. Every school we call seem to have no space for both year 10 and 11 and now we don’t know what do. Any help please?

If he's 16 then schools probably won't be able to accept him into Y10, and depending on when his birthday was into Y11 as well. This may be why you aren't getting anywhere.

Your best bet may be contacting post 16 colleges, who could offer him maths and English GCSEs at least and probably other level 2 qualifications as well.
Reply 3
Original post by SarcAndSpark
If he's 16 then schools probably won't be able to accept him into Y10, and depending on when his birthday was into Y11 as well. This may be why you aren't getting anywhere.

Your best bet may be contacting post 16 colleges, who could offer him maths and English GCSEs at least and probably other level 2 qualifications as well.

Would those colleges offer other GCSEs like history, science, geography etc
Some sixth form colleges have GCSE 'retake' years where by you are able to take around 5 GCSEs over the period of a year.

If he isn't very proficient at English and maths, level 2 (or even level 1) BTECs maybe a good option. They are available in a wide range of subjects Inc, business, engineering,catering, woodwork, applied science ....
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Lmao133
Would those colleges offer other GCSEs like history, science, geography etc

Some will, yes. If not, they will offer BTECs etc at level 2 which will be GCSE equivalents.

Alternatively, it might be possible to do some GCSEs via distance learning, but this would be tricky if he's been out of school for a while.

Unfortunately, it's very likely his options will be limited as the UK system isn't very good at dealing with people who don't fit the norm.

Quick Reply

Latest