Confused about how offer levels are made?? Help!

Watch
Loopytait
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
A friend has been told that she shouldn’t have A* as a predicted grade as then a university which normally asks for (eg) AAB, might ask for A*AB. And then she wouldn’t get a place if she only got AAB. Is this right?? I’ve got an A* prediction so should I worry about that - I might not get it! On other hand if A level exams don’t happen again in 2021 cos of Covid and predicted results are considered to be your results like this year - I want that A* prediction... don’t I?? Now I’m stressed.
Emily5243
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Loopytait)
A friend has been told that she shouldn’t have A* as a predicted grade as then a university which normally asks for (eg) AAB, might ask for A*AB. And then she wouldn’t get a place if she only got AAB. Is this right?? I’ve got an A* prediction so should I worry about that - I might not get it! On other hand if A level exams don’t happen again in 2021 cos of Covid and predicted results are considered to be your results like this year - I want that A* prediction... don’t I?? Now I’m stressed.
I think it's definitely possible to get an offer higher than the predicted grade requirements. One of my friends applied to Imperial where they stated for that course that the minimum requirements were A*AA but they gave my friend an offer of A*A*A (which is what their predictions were). I think Imperial made it fairly clear for that course that they do give out higher offers than the minimum requirements. Although I don't think that happens a lot. I applied to Newcastle and my predicted grades were all A*s but my offer was AAB which was the same as the requirements stated for the course
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Universities have set grades and that is the offer they make you irrespective of your predicted grades. It a university has a requirement of AAA that is the offer they make even if you are predicted A*A*A*.
Loopytait
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Universities have set grades and that is the offer they make you irrespective of your predicted grades. It a university has a requirement of AAA that is the offer they make even if you are predicted A*A*A*.
That’s what I’d always thought but Emily5423 seems to confirm something different.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
That is nonsense
Loopytait
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
That is nonsense
Is it though? Do you know for certain?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yes I do
Loopytait
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Yes I do
Errrrr...... basis for knowledge?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Ask yourself a question. Who would a university prefer. Someone with AAA or someone with A*A*A* then ask yourself why make it harder to get the one with A*A*A*. Universities offer the same grades to everyone unless they make contextual offers which are lower. They do not make higher offers dependent on predicted grades.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You are disbelieving a careers person in favour of a student who really doesnt know and is making things up.
Mustafa0605
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
That is 100% wrong. A Univeristy never increases or decreases offer requirements based on predicted grades. They only ever decrease requirements for those that satisfy certain social conditions ( low household income, estranged ...etc) or when they have very little competition for space and need to fill up their course.
Loopytait
Rep:
?
Ask yourself a question. Who would a university prefer. Someone with AAA or someone with A*A*A* then ask yourself why make it harder to get the one with A*A*A*. Universities offer the same grades to everyone unless they make contextual offers which are lower. They do not make higher offers dependent on predicted grades.
That’s exactly my thinking. 🤷🏻*♀️
Loopytait
Rep:
?
You are disbelieving a careers person in favour of a student who really doesnt know and is making things up.
Am I? Is that you or Harrysbar? It’s difficult to know from what basis/experience people are coming from when we see answers. I was genuinely trying to check what Harrysbar basis for knowledge.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thanks swanseajack - it doesn't look like you will get thanked by OP for your help sadly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (94)
28.31%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.25%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (33)
9.94%
No - I live at home during term anyway (99)
29.82%

Watched Threads