RemiABI
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
hey guys,
Can someone help me please?

My main goal is to study medicine for university and I know for sure that I am picking Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. However, my sixth form requires me to pick a fourth option for AS and the drop it for A2. I really don't want to pick maths, as I don't enjoy it very much. I'm thinking of picking maybe politics or business studies, but I want an okay subject as the other three are really content heavy.
What do you guys think I should do, and can you suggest any other subjects for me?
Tello
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RemiABI)
hey guys,

My main goal is to study medicine for university and I know for sure that I am picking Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. However, my sixth form requires me to pick a fourth option for AS and the drop it for A2. I really don't want to pick maths, as I don't enjoy it very much. I'm thinking of picking maybe politics or business studies, but I want an okay subject as the other three are really content heavy.
What do you guys think I should do, and can you suggest any other subjects for me?
Geography might be a good choice
RemiABI
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tello)
Geography might be a good choice
i picked geography for gcses, but I found it really boring. However, i still did get accptable grades. Do you think I would still get a place for medicine? I really don't want to pick maths
CJ_bangtan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hey guys,

what about sociology or theology
RemiABI
Rep:
?
(Original post by CJ_bangtan)
what about sociology or theology
i heard theology is really difficult, and sociology does sound good to be honest.
Last edited by RemiABI; 4 weeks ago
Libbyc16
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
what about psychology
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Libbyc16)
what about psychology
Psychology is quite content-heavy especially with the essay writing and evaluations. Personally, I wouldn’t recommend it if the OP is looking for something with less work.
RemiABI
Rep:
?
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Psychology is quite content-heavy especially with the essay writing and evaluations. Personally, I wouldn’t recommend it if the OP is looking for something with less work.
hiya, i know for sure that i am picking bio, chem and psychology, but my sixth form requires another subject. to get into medical school, would it be better if i choose geography or sociology. I did geography during gcses but i really disliked it and found it very boring. I think sociology has less content and is slightly easier. It also sounds interesting. What should i do?
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hiya, i know for sure that i am picking bio, chem and psychology, but my sixth form requires another subject. to get into medical school, would it be better if i choose geography or sociology. I did geography during gcses but i really disliked it and found it very boring. I think sociology has less content and is slightly easier. It also sounds interesting. What should i do?
Hi!

Those are great options and will definitely keep a lot of doors open!

To get into medical school, all you need is Biology and Chemistry to keep most doors open. Cambridge is the only university that also asks for A-Level Maths so unless you want to apply there you will be fine.

My friend takes A-Level Sociology but she says it’s quite content-heavy although there is a bit of overlap with the Psychology syllabus.

If you disliked Geography at GCSE, then I’m not sure if your will enjoy it at A-Level.

Its quite annoying that your school wants you take 4 A-Levels. What were your interests at GCSE?
RemiABI
Rep:
?
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Hi!

Those are great options and will definitely keep a lot of doors open!

To get into medical school, all you need is Biology and Chemistry to keep most doors open. Cambridge is the only university that also asks for A-Level Maths so unless you want to apply there you will be fine.

My friend takes A-Level Sociology but she says it’s quite content-heavy although there is a bit of overlap with the Psychology syllabus.

If you disliked Geography at GCSE, then I’m not sure if your will enjoy it at A-Level.

Its quite annoying that your school wants you take 4 A-Levels. What were your interests at GCSE?
thank you so much for replying. I often doubt myself, so i rely on the others a lottt, so i find people like you really kind. I think the only subjects I really enjoyed were the three sciences. My school also makes us do an EPQ, but I suppose everything they do is for our benefit
tipexmaster25
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As far as I know, only Biology and Chemistry are the essential subjects (I think even some don't ask for biology!) and a lot don't really care what you do for your 3rd A-Level (something like physics/ maths/ psychology are popular cause they link tho), so I would assume that they don't have too much preference for the AS level either. Do something you enjoy and think you will perform fairly well in, as it will look good on paper. I know someone who chose art as their 4th so I guess its up to you

What do you think of physics? It's a science so is defo a useful one to have, but probs not the easiest. Or maybe a modern foreign language like French or German? They're also good skills to have. But business sounds fine if that's the subject you enjoy the most too
RemiABI
Rep:
?
(Original post by tipexmaster25)
As far as I know, only Biology and Chemistry are the essential subjects (I think even some don't ask for biology!) and a lot don't really care what you do for your 3rd A-Level (something like physics/ maths/ psychology are popular cause they link tho), so I would assume that they don't have too much preference for the AS level either. Do something you enjoy and think you will perform fairly well in, as it will look good on paper. I know someone who chose art as their 4th so I guess its up to you

What do you think of physics? It's a science so is defo a useful one to have, but probs not the easiest. Or maybe a modern foreign language like French or German? They're also good skills to have. But business sounds fine if that's the subject you enjoy the most too
i really enjoy physics but i thinks that mainly because my teacher last year was so hard working and made me want to work hard. i think im going to choose bio, chem, psychology and sociology, and then drop sociology later on
tipexmaster25
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i really enjoy physics but i thinks that mainly because my teacher last year was so hard working and made me want to work hard. i think im going to choose bio, chem, psychology and sociology, and then drop sociology later on
That sounds like a good idea- you've gotta be able to motivate yourself as much as possible, and doing the subject YOU enjoy is definitely going to help (although a great teacher does help ) I'm no admissions tutor, but considering medical schools don't require you to have a 4th subject (and quite a few say there isn't an advantage of having one), as long as you do something and perform well that's the main thing. It's much better to have an A in sociology than a C in a subject you didn't like!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (102)
13.4%
I'm not sure (32)
4.2%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (237)
31.14%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.37%
I'm not a current university student (372)
48.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed