georgia bee
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I graduated in summer 2019 and I'm starting to realise I want to do a Masters - I have started looking at different courses at universities to get a feel of what each one offers!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how they chose what they wanted to do - I'm stuck between a couple of different courses and most aren't local so I'm also wondering how much money would be wise to save before actually considering moving elsewhere for the course.

My last worry here - my dissertation at undergrad was TRASH. Like I fully panicked, I'd already had ECs and all through uni I struggled with my mental health (anxiety quite often stopped my meeting with my lecturers, that unfortunately happened with my Diss and I ended up screwing myself over because of that because I didn't ask for help for fear of seeming stupid!) so I suppose my question there is how much will my dissertation mark matter?

Many thanks!
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by georgia bee)
My last worry here - my dissertation at undergrad was TRASH. Like I fully panicked, I'd already had ECs and all through uni I struggled with my mental health (anxiety quite often stopped my meeting with my lecturers, that unfortunately happened with my Diss and I ended up screwing myself over because of that because I didn't ask for help for fear of seeming stupid!) so I suppose my question there is how much will my dissertation mark matter?
A dissertation is likely to be a major part of your MSc, so you will really need to address your issues with attending supervisor meetings etc. If you have seen it go bad once, then I guess you know the warning signs however and as a result may be better prepared to handle things next time round.
georgia bee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
A dissertation is likely to be a major part of your MSc, so you will really need to address your issues with attending supervisor meetings etc. If you have seen it go bad once, then I guess you know the warning signs however and as a result may be better prepared to handle things next time round.
Thanks for the reply! I am absolutely aware of how major a Diss will be for the course, but I have definitely improved myself and my mental health from that point - I feel like I could stroll into an office and talk to anyone no problem! It would still be a year or two away as I'm sure I'll need to save money for moving away, however my worry is the result of my undergrad dissertation affecting my application (I probably should have made that clearer, sorry!)
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by georgia bee)
... my worry is the result of my undergrad dissertation affecting my application (I probably should have made that clearer, sorry!)
Ah, ok, depends on the MSc course and where it is TBH. If its a high demand course at an elite institution then the admissions team will definitely drill down into your transcript and it might be an issue. If your target is not a top end RG university then they might simply go on overall BSc grade. You don't lose anything by trying if thats what you want to do.
georgia bee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
Ah, ok, depends on the MSc course and where it is TBH. If its a high demand course at an elite institution then the admissions team will definitely drill down into your transcript and it might be an issue. If your target is not a top end RG university then they might simply go on overall BSc grade. You don't lose anything by trying if thats what you want to do.
Gotcha! From what I can tell they aren't elite institutions, though my dissertation is the only thing that does let me down on the transcripts - thanks for the info though! Hopefully it works out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (184)
14.23%
I'm not sure (59)
4.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (380)
29.39%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.86%
I'm not a current university student (633)
48.96%

Watched Threads