nwrt
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
so i just recently started uni at manchester and there’s already cliques of friends where my accommodation is and it’s hard to go up to them and talk without feeling like i’m intruding on something. my roommates are nice but already have their own friend groups so i’m alone. is there any easy way to make friends or anyone in the same situation here?
snazzles
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nwrt)
so i just recently started uni at manchester and there’s already cliques of friends where my accommodation is and it’s hard to go up to them and talk without feeling like i’m intruding on something. my roommates are nice but already have their own friend groups so i’m alone. is there any easy way to make friends or anyone in the same situation here?
Societies and sports clubs are a fairly easy way to make friends with people who have similar interests to you. If you invite your roommates to an event or a planned activity then you could ask if they want to bring along some of their friends.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nwrt)
Hi nwrt

Try joining any course group chats, and starting conversations with people on your course or in your classes. You could also try and join societies to meet people with similar interests as your self.

Good luck!

Zaira
Sparkey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don’t worry, soon enough your friendships group will be forged by “group work” or random encounters. You will get there, it’ll just take a little time.
Plymouth College Of Art
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi there,

I joined my course a month late as I transferred from another Uni to Plymouth College of Art, meaning my course mates had already had a month to bond. I found that starting late to my course actually helped in a way, as the others had started to get past the awkward stages of getting to know each other, meaning that when our course was together as a group, conversation was more lively and less awkward, making it easier for me to join in. You might find that this is the case if you approach a group of friends that have already formed and it could work in your favour. It is much easier said than done, but throw yourself in at the deep end and try to join in as much as possible with their conversation as it will help to break that initial awkwardness you may feel. At first, I did feet a little on the outside and I understand what you mean about feeling like an intruder. I could see friendships had already started to form, but I found that people will never really be reluctant to making new friends or allowing a new face into their friendship group - and if they are reluctant or unkind, then you wouldn't want to be friends with them anyway! It's important to remind yourself that nobody ever gives themselves a limit of how many friends they can make, or a time period in which they can make friends, so the intruder feeling you feel is likely to be something felt only on your side of the situation. I am almost certain that the people you are approaching won't see you that way and, again, if they do, then those are the people you wouldn't necessarily want to hang out with anyway.

I have continued to make friends throughout my time at Uni and most of my friends now were people that I didn't know or speak to during my first week or even month of Uni (after transferring). Over time, you'll collect friends from loads of places, such as from your flat, your course, groupwork, any societies, etc. Making one friend can lead to a whole bunch of new friends, as you'll meet their mutual friends and so on. I think the best thing to do in your situation is to approach these friendships with confidence and positivity (simply telling yourself you feel confident is the best way to trick yourself into feeling it).

I hope this helps and good luck with your first year!
Lauren
Student Ambassador and Third Year Animation Student
nwrt
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
let me rephrase this. is there anyone going to manchester uni who needs a friend because i am utterly alone and i really don’t like it anymore. i just want to be someone’s friend. and i have joined societies but there’s no meeting face to face so there’s nothing i can do.

(Original post by nwrt)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.2%
I'm not sure (32)
4.27%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (234)
31.2%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.4%
I'm not a current university student (367)
48.93%

Watched Threads