Mikos
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone, hope I've posted this in the right place.
I'm currently in the process of applying to university (I'm applying to Cambridge so will have to make the October deadline) to read Law.
To give context, I was one of those affected by the exam results fiasco this year, and I'm currently preparing to sit the October exams to achieve at least one A*, though I'm currently sitting on AAA.
Given that we're able to take the highest of the two grades out of the October exams and centre assessed grades, I will be getting AAA in the worst case scenario.
As it stands, 4 of the 5 universities I'm applying for are asking for A*AA. I appreciate that this is quite a high threshold but I have ambitions to work at a top corporate firm (potentially MC or US), and lowballing, especially in an era where there are just so many people with law degrees and not enough training contracts, doesn't really seem like an option. That said, I don't really want to apply to more than one AAA university.
Although I am reasonably confident that I will be able to achieve at least one A* in these October exams, nothing is ever guaranteed, so I'd like to make my 5th choice count.

At the moment I am deliberating between Exeter, Nottingham and Leeds. I'm inclined to believe that even if only rather marginally, that Nottingham is the best of these 3 (do correct me if you feel I'm wrong on this, though). However, this would mean that 4 out of 5 of my choices will use the LNAT, the anomaly to this being Cambridge, which is hardly a safe choice. I'm currently on a gap year so will have ample time to prepare for the LNAT, but all it would take is a bad day for me to lose 4/5 of my places. Also, I'm a bit iffy about studying in Nottingham as I live here.

The other choices are the non-LNAT Exeter and Leeds. To be honest, I'm not really sure which is better between these two, so I'd appreciate opinions on this. I'm inclined to say I somewhat prefer Exeter as a place, but I'd be willing to sacrifice this if Leeds will give me a better shot at a valuable training contract.

I'd be truly grateful to hear your guys' opinions on this. Thanks so much in advance
kp07l
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, exe law student here! It's a uni that's got a lot of great stuff about it, and were well regarded with MCs and higher tier US firms. At least one person in my year has an MC TC. The law society is also great and has amazing employability events, so you definitely won't be disadvantaged career wise. Even this summer where the law markets been ravaged by coronavirus I had a successful VS app to a legal 500 firm and also got positive responses from an extremely large UK based and a v large US based firm. Teaching wise we are incredibly group work oriented, be aware of that - I enjoyed it but not everybody is a fan! Teaching quality however is EXTREMELY variable. Some lecturers are amazing and some of the best you'll ever have, others make you wish it was the end of the year already 😂 feel free to PM me if you've got any specific qs!
Mikos
Rep:
?
(Original post by kp07l)
Hi, exe law student here! It's a uni that's got a lot of great stuff about it, and were well regarded with MCs and higher tier US firms. At least one person in my year has an MC TC. The law society is also great and has amazing employability events, so you definitely won't be disadvantaged career wise. Even this summer where the law markets been ravaged by coronavirus I had a successful VS app to a legal 500 firm and also got positive responses from an extremely large UK based and a v large US based firm. Teaching wise we are incredibly group work oriented, be aware of that - I enjoyed it but not everybody is a fan! Teaching quality however is EXTREMELY variable. Some lecturers are amazing and some of the best you'll ever have, others make you wish it was the end of the year already 😂 feel free to PM me if you've got any specific qs!
Thanks so much for your response, I've sent you a PM x
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mikos)
Hi everyone, hope I've posted this in the right place.
I'm currently in the process of applying to university (I'm applying to Cambridge so will have to make the October deadline) to read Law.
To give context, I was one of those affected by the exam results fiasco this year, and I'm currently preparing to sit the October exams to achieve at least one A*, though I'm currently sitting on AAA.
Given that we're able to take the highest of the two grades out of the October exams and centre assessed grades, I will be getting AAA in the worst case scenario.
As it stands, 4 of the 5 universities I'm applying for are asking for A*AA. I appreciate that this is quite a high threshold but I have ambitions to work at a top corporate firm (potentially MC or US), and lowballing, especially in an era where there are just so many people with law degrees and not enough training contracts, doesn't really seem like an option. That said, I don't really want to apply to more than one AAA university.
Although I am reasonably confident that I will be able to achieve at least one A* in these October exams, nothing is ever guaranteed, so I'd like to make my 5th choice count.

At the moment I am deliberating between Exeter, Nottingham and Leeds. I'm inclined to believe that even if only rather marginally, that Nottingham is the best of these 3 (do correct me if you feel I'm wrong on this, though). However, this would mean that 4 out of 5 of my choices will use the LNAT, the anomaly to this being Cambridge, which is hardly a safe choice. I'm currently on a gap year so will have ample time to prepare for the LNAT, but all it would take is a bad day for me to lose 4/5 of my places. Also, I'm a bit iffy about studying in Nottingham as I live here.

The other choices are the non-LNAT Exeter and Leeds. To be honest, I'm not really sure which is better between these two, so I'd appreciate opinions on this. I'm inclined to say I somewhat prefer Exeter as a place, but I'd be willing to sacrifice this if Leeds will give me a better shot at a valuable training contract.

I'd be truly grateful to hear your guys' opinions on this. Thanks so much in advance
I agree with your reasoning that your fifth choice should be a safe one both in terms of the worst case scenario grades wise and the LNAT, so I agree that you should drop Nottingham from the list, especially as you live there.

Leeds and Exeter are so similar as to make no difference when it comes to employerment prospects - the same is true of Nottingham (and possibly your A*AA choices too but I understand your desire to aim high when you have a good chance of getting at least A*AA). Just pick whichever one you prefer which in your case is Exeter.
Mikos
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
I agree with your reasoning that your fifth choice should be a safe one both in terms of the worst case scenario grades wise and the LNAT, so I agree that you should drop Nottingham from the list, especially as you live there.

Leeds and Exeter are so similar as to make no difference when it comes to employerment prospects - the same is true of Nottingham (and possibly your A*AA choices too but I understand your desire to aim high when you have a good chance of getting at least A*AA). Just pick whichever one you prefer which in your case is Exeter.
Hi Harrysbar! Was really hoping to get your insight on this I must admit, you're always super helpful in these forums
It's reassuring to know that it won't affect my employment prospects. I think at the moment I'm definitely leaning towards Exeter for my 5th choice. Also reassuring to hear that I'm being reasonable in my choice to apply to 4 A*AA unis haha.
Thanks so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.52%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (355)
29.29%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.68%

Watched Threads