Question for athiests

Watch this thread
Learner777
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Why are you atheist apart from no evidence? I asked this question for ‘Christians why are they Christians’ so it’s not just you guys.im just interested so see people answers since I’m not atheist myself
Joel746
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by learner38)
Why are you atheist apart from no evidence? I asked this question for ‘Christians why are they Christians’ so it’s not just you guys.im just interested so see people answers since I’m not atheist myself
Hi there

Disclaimer, I don’t mean to offend anyone in this post, it is just my opinion. Sorry if you take any offence to this.

I wouldn’t really consider myself an atheist, as that to me means that you definitely do not believe in God etc. I have my own beliefs, and whilst I don’t agree with all aspects of religion I do understand and like some of it.

Firstly, I’ve never been brought up with any form of religion, so it’s probably why I have never really looked into it that much. I think my first time experiencing any form of religious beliefs was when I lost my Grandad about 7 years ago now. I still miss him a lot, and at the time it hit me hard as we were very close. I just couldn’t imagine never seeing him again, and so I’ve always hoped that maybe there is a way to see him in the afterlife/heaven.

However, the only thing I find flawed with this is that we, like everything else on the planet, are just animals that have a slightly bigger brain. What makes us so special? Why would we go to a heavenly place when the animals around us do not? It just doesn’t make any sense, and it’s always had me wondering what happens after we die.

I know this isn’t really related to the question, but it is the reason I don’t really believe in religion.

With me so far?

So, surely after we die there has to be something. This is where my own belief comes into play. Whilst I don’t believe in a heaven, I don’t believe that after death there will be darkness. For if there is to be darkness, you would need to be conscious to acknowledge that it is dark. So what would it feel like? What actually happens? Surely you don’t just cease to exist.

As for God, I’ve always thought that maybe there is a greater power that built this universe and planet for us. It just seems to perfect not to be for us, but who knows really? Maybe we’re all just living in a simulation, or some crazy science experiment that we couldn’t even begin to comprehend.

Anyway, I’ve kind of strayed away from the question focus here. I think the main reasons I don’t really believe in religion are mostly that science has always proven to be more accurate, there isn’t really any evidence to support a greater power like God, and the idea that there is a heaven just doesn’t make that much sense to me considering we are alive (like possibly many other species on different planets) in a finite universe which will soon cease to exist. What will happen to us and heaven then? Do you die in heaven and go to another place?

Again, I don’t mean to offend anyone with this, it is simply just my opinion.
Learner777
Rep:
(Original post by Joel746)
Hi there

Disclaimer, I don’t mean to offend anyone in this post, it is just my opinion. Sorry if you take any offence to this.

I wouldn’t really consider myself an atheist, as that to me means that you definitely do not believe in God etc. I have my own beliefs, and whilst I don’t agree with all aspects of religion I do understand and like some of it.

Firstly, I’ve never been brought up with any form of religion, so it’s probably why I have never really looked into it that much. I think my first time experiencing any form of religious beliefs was when I lost my Grandad about 7 years ago now. I still miss him a lot, and at the time it hit me hard as we were very close. I just couldn’t imagine never seeing him again, and so I’ve always hoped that maybe there is a way to see him in the afterlife/heaven.

However, the only thing I find flawed with this is that we, like everything else on the planet, are just animals that have a slightly bigger brain. What makes us so special? Why would we go to a heavenly place when the animals around us do not? It just doesn’t make any sense, and it’s always had me wondering what happens after we die.

I know this isn’t really related to the question, but it is the reason I don’t really believe in religion.

With me so far?

So, surely after we die there has to be something. This is where my own belief comes into play. Whilst I don’t believe in a heaven, I don’t believe that after death there will be darkness. For if there is to be darkness, you would need to be conscious to acknowledge that it is dark. So what would it feel like? What actually happens? Surely you don’t just cease to exist.

As for God, I’ve always thought that maybe there is a greater power that built this universe and planet for us. It just seems to perfect not to be for us, but who knows really? Maybe we’re all just living in a simulation, or some crazy science experiment that we couldn’t even begin to comprehend.

Anyway, I’ve kind of strayed away from the question focus here. I think the main reasons I don’t really believe in religion are mostly that science has always proven to be more accurate, there isn’t really any evidence to support a greater power like God, and the idea that there is a heaven just doesn’t make that much sense to me considering we are alive (like possibly many other species on different planets) in a finite universe which will soon cease to exist. What will happen to us and heaven then? Do you die in heaven and go to another place?

Again, I don’t mean to offend anyone with this, it is simply just my opinion.
No your opinion is really good I love it. I like the way you think I just feel like there’s no right answer to anything. Anything could be possible.
Joel746
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
No your opinion is really good I love it. I like the way you think I just feel like there’s no right answer to anything. Anything could be possible.
It’s quite scary to think about honestly. I just can’t imagine there being nothing, as life feels too great to just end like that.
Last edited by Joel746; 1 year ago
Elle.c
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
ok so i’m 100% atheist and that is because firstly i was never brought up in a heavily religious environment, some of my family and friends believe in god but don’t necessarily practice a specific religion. secondly, personally i believe in the big bang theory and evolution as i think this is the most logical explanation. just my opinion. thirdly, having gone to a religious school we read the bible a lot in re and there is just parts i disagree with or to me doesn’t make sense. and finally i find religions and/or religious people who claim they heavily practice their religion become quite hypocritical people in terms of their religious beliefs (not all religious people). just my experience and opinions really.
NurseCarol
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Without meaning to offend anyone....

The existence of God the way it is posed in any religion ive ever heard, is ALWAYS full of contradictions. it says that God is all loving, all powerful, and all knowing. Well, if god was all knowing, then he knew that eve would eat the apple, and he is all powerful so he had the power to stop her. You can say "well he gave us free will", but he knew exactly what we would do with this free will, and made us that way anyway. Doesnt make sense. Also, if god is "all loving", why did he make a world full of suffering. Some may say its a test, I say he isnt real.

In my opinion, if God is real, he is an absolute coward. Think about it. He knows EVERYTHING and has the power to do ANYTHING. So, he could've made someone like him, an equal with his power an intellect. Someone as smart as him to have discussions with and entertain him. Instead he made us, a bunch of minions below him who are supposedly way dumber than him. Sounds like something a coward would do.

Also, just generally, religions are full of contradictions, and usually hatred. Dont get me started on the pedo relig- i mean, Islam. We know that animals evolved, rather than were just made. We know that the world wasnt made in 7 days. And some people may say this is a metaphor, well... if its a metaphor, then all knowing God knew that it would cause people to think his religion was false and did nothing to rectify it. So if i burn in hell, thats not my fault. If God exists, why would he have made hundreds of different religions? How am I supposed to know which one is right? If God is all knowing, then he knew multiple religions would confuse people, and if he is all powerful, he could have stopped it. He could send me a sign to join any which religion but he hasnt. I think its a wonderful thing if you can have faith. I mean, believing there is a point to life must be better for your mental health, and in some ways I wish I could believe in God, but I cant.
username5390248
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
As a child I was brought up catholic, but when a family friends daughter died when she was only 13 years old I decided if God existed it wouldn't have happened. I know that there are religious beliefs as to why suffering exists but I still struggle to believe that an omnipotent God would let a little girl suffer and die. Maybe one day I will go back to the church, but right I still can't bring myself to.
Learner777
Rep:
(Original post by bacter1a)
As a child I was brought up catholic, but when a family friends daughter died when she was only 13 years old I decided if God existed it wouldn't have happened. I know that there are religious beliefs as to why suffering exists but I still struggle to believe that an omnipotent God would let a little girl suffer and die. Maybe one day I will go back to the church, but right I still can't bring myself to.
I’m soo sorry for the loss. It’s completely understandable it takes time or if you won’t go back that’s fine . When my auntie died I cried for days and I didn’t even get to see the open casket because of my shyness I regretted that ever since. But what I realised is that there’s no such thing as perfect. I think if everything went accordingly people would feel the need to do things . I wish that one can suffer but it’s just a natural thing ig.
rxyaltyx
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I was brought up non-religious and without offending anyone, I don't see how I can believe it. People say there's a God when children die of cancer, wars are happening, etc.
Learner777
Rep:
Tbh I wish everyone had the answer to everything but the world is soo complex we’re all soo tiny in this universe but yet things feel soo big for us. Idk it’s just such a big topic. That’s why I don’t understand why one person can have such a strong opinion on one side(both religious people and atheists) it’s nice to think outside the box sometimes.
username4986690
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Because the very existence of an omnipresent, omnipotent and infallible deity makes no logical sense. It is fairly obvious that in each creation of any god it is either used to explain natural phenomenon which has not yet been scientifically understood or as a means to control people through a reward/penalty system.
hajima
Badges: 20
Report 1 year ago
Every atheist I have met (including me) bases their understanding of the world upon logic and the scientific method. Every religious person bases their understanding of the world upon faith. Faith and logic are incompatible, because in order to be faithful to religion, you must reject its contradictions observed by applying logic. This is why atheists make no ground debating the faithful when applying logical deconstructions of religious dogma. This is also the reason why science and religion are incompatible on a more fundamental level than just 'God made science' arguments.

Humans are actually biologically predisposed to being faithful, so I don't blame religious people for being unable to break free of the shackles of religion - it's not really their fault, especially when they're conditioned since birth to believe uncritically (indoctrination).
Last edited by hajima; 1 year ago
Agent_ƑƟƟƉ
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Unlike many people on this thread, I was brought up in a heavily religious Christian household and that’s what eventually pushed me away.

It was a combination of hating the religion itself and it’s inconsistencies and the superiority complex that they are the only correct religion and even other versions of Christianity is wrong and they will end up in hell etc (I know this applies to all religions).

I also started to associate religion with evil because everyone in my life that I dislike strongly or who treated me wrong were religious and it doesn’t compute with me; if being religious doesn’t stop you being a *****y person then there is no good in that religion. I am not perfect but I do not hate other people simply for being different, I don’t believe that I am superior to others and I don’t use the cloak of religion to absolve myself of wrongdoings.

I may return to believing in a god but for now, I’m too repulsed by early experiences of religion to go back there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (40)
67.8%
No (15)
25.42%
I didn't use it to prepare (4)
6.78%

Watched Threads