Kidney/Gland Issues

Watch
GeordieMark88
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
It all started several weeks ago when I started complaining of stomach, side and lower back pain and the doctor found blood in my urine.

I was treated for a UTI & then kidney stones. Several weeks passed and I was sent for a CT scan. Three days later the GP rang.

They found inflammation around/of the kidney and the glands in my stomach are enlarged.

Within two days, I’ve attended the surgery for urgent bloods, an examination of my other areas to check glands, e.g neck, groin and armpits, she said she couldn’t feel anything.
I’ve had a second CT this time to look at my chest, stomach and pelvis and an appointment with a consultant at the hospital has been arranged for the 28th.

All of this is taking place within a week and a half of the GP calling with the original CT results.
My bloods came back, my ESR is raised and the test for glandular fever came back unclear so that’s getting repeated tomorrow. Not sure why that one was ordered when I’ve no signs of glandular fever.

No one is letting on about anything and I’ve no idea what the speciality I’m been sent to does, so I’m scared and anxious with the quickness and lack of information.

Any thoughts? I’d rather know something than nothing.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GeordieMark88)
It all started several weeks ago when I started complaining of stomach, side and lower back pain and the doctor found blood in my urine.

I was treated for a UTI & then kidney stones. Several weeks passed and I was sent for a CT scan. Three days later the GP rang.

They found inflammation around/of the kidney and the glands in my stomach are enlarged.

Within two days, I’ve attended the surgery for urgent bloods, an examination of my other areas to check glands, e.g neck, groin and armpits, she said she couldn’t feel anything.
I’ve had a second CT this time to look at my chest, stomach and pelvis and an appointment with a consultant at the hospital has been arranged for the 28th.

All of this is taking place within a week and a half of the GP calling with the original CT results.
My bloods came back, my ESR is raised and the test for glandular fever came back unclear so that’s getting repeated tomorrow. Not sure why that one was ordered when I’ve no signs of glandular fever.

No one is letting on about anything and I’ve no idea what the speciality I’m been sent to does, so I’m scared and anxious with the quickness and lack of information.

Any thoughts? I’d rather know something than nothing.
I'm really sorry you're experiencing this, it must be really scary for you. Could you speak to your GP / consultant and ask to just have a chat about what is happening and why? Tell them that you're feeling anxious and nervous, they should be willing to talk you through it. Unfortunately, nobody on TSR is able to give you medical advice as we aren't medical professionals, and anybody that is wouldn't be able to give any advice. Best thing is to talk to your doctors and ask.
GeordieMark88
Rep:
?
I appreciate the reply. Thank you.

Unfortunately the GP keeps saying it’s down to the hospital now and I’ve not met the consultant yet.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Glandular fever can cause your glands to be enlarged (and a lot of people don't get any symptoms with it). Scans happening quickly doesn't necessarily mean there is anything really serious going on, it just means that the doctors wan't to exclude something that may be serious. I can only speak from personal experience but I have had a lot of urgent blood tests and scan and, thankfully, there has never been anything too awful going on. Good luck for your appointment and hope they give you some answers and are able to reassure you.

Have you tried to google what the specialty you have been referred to does?
GeordieMark88
Rep:
?
Thanks.

Yes I read up on glandular fever but just wasn’t sure really as the glands that showed up as enlarged were in my stomach and wasn’t sure if it would be those glands that would enlarge or the ones in my neck.

I think I was more worried about the pain I was having and the fact that I had inflamed kidneys, and had previously been tried on antibiotics and the GP saying there was no signs of infection so that’s also why a second CT was ordered.

The speciality is haematology.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks.

Yes I read up on glandular fever but just wasn’t sure really as the glands that showed up as enlarged were in my stomach and wasn’t sure if it would be those glands that would enlarge or the ones in my neck.

I think I was more worried about the pain I was having and the fact that I had inflamed kidneys, and had previously been tried on antibiotics and the GP saying there was no signs of infection so that’s also why a second CT was ordered.

The speciality is haematology.
I think it can affect all glands. A friend of mine got an enlarged spleen when she had glandular fever.

Haematologist deal with problems relating to blood and lymph nodes so that makes sense.
GeordieMark88
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Ah thanks for the information.

Do your know if there is a connection to the kidney too? With that showing up as inflamed? Or is that a separate issue that will need looking at?
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Lymph nodes can become enlarged due to inflammation and infection (like your neck glands can get big if you have a sore throat or a cold) but I don't really know. The consultant will hopefully have some answers for you!
GeordieMark88
Rep:
?
Thanks for all your comments. It’s just a stressful time right now.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I know, I totally get it, I was in the same position waiting to hear about the results of my scan a few years ago. The anticipation is always the worst. Try to distract yourself from thinking about it by doing something nice.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not sure why that one was ordered when I’ve no signs of glandular fever.
Except the swollen glands.

Here is the NHS page on swollen glands. As it says, wait for the healthcare professional to explain things.
GeordieMark88
Rep:
?
Oh yeah I think the confusion was I always thought it was to do with glands in your neck and didn’t realise the ones in your stomach could be because of glandular fever.

Im just doing loads of stuff to keep myself occupied like housework, reading and work on the laptop.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.52%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (355)
29.29%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.68%

Watched Threads