Avesta2003
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi all,

I'm in y13, studying maths, further maths, history, and taking STEP.
I currently have CompSci + AI at Bath as one of my choices, but might have to sacrifice Bath for a uni with lower entry grades (AAB) as Bath can't do that for me, and Bath is the only uni I have that offers clearing.

Now, I'm quite worried I won't be able to do the above course if I end up going through clearing to Bath in case I change my mind regarding my choices as I really do love Bath and the course I found is absolutely amazing.

How easy is it to get into Bath through clearing for CompSci + AI?

Many thanks in advance.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Avesta2003)
Hi all,

I currently have CompSci + AI at Bath as one of my choices, but might have to sacrifice Bath for a uni with lower entry grades (AAB) as Bath can't do that for me, and Bath is the only uni I have that offers clearing.

Now, I'm quite worried I won't be able to do the above course if I end up going through clearing to Bath in case I change my mind regarding my choices as I really do love Bath and the course I found is absolutely amazing.

Many thanks in advance.
Surely if you want Bath you keep it and drop somewhere else?
Avesta2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Surely if you want Bath you keep it and drop somewhere else?
i love the others too, but if i drop them and change my mind and want to go there, I will not be able to due to their inability to offer clearing
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
i love the others too, but if i drop them and change my mind and want to go there, I will not be able to due to their inability to offer clearing
You can't anticipate what will be in clearing next year!
Avesta2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
You can't anticipate what will be in clearing next year!
good point - will probs end up staying with Bath and dropping Warwick! Thanks
zwj20
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I got an offer for A* A A for my degree maths and physics, I ended up getting A* A C. got accepted right away. I think if you put Bath as your option the grade results are pretty lenient, not sure about clearing though. Never met anyone who got through with clearing at Bath
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi all,

Many thanks in advance.
Hi there,

It honestly varies by year, so it isn't a good idea to bet on getting in somewhere via clearing. Courses only go into clearing if there are spaces remaining, and there is no guarantee that spaces will be available in a given year. The entry requirements for this course are A*AA, so they may only reduce the entry grades to AAA, and not down to AAB, if it did go into clearing. Essentially, there is no guarantee that the course will be in clearing, and no guarantee that the grades would be reduced so far as for you to get in. Clearing is highly variable and hard to give an answer on, unfortunately.

I would say the best thing to do, if you are set on Bath, would be to try and boost your grades. There are tonnes of resources online to help, such as Khan Academy - I used this throughout GCSE and A-Level, and still use it to study now at university, so it's a resource I highly recommend.

I would also suggest contacting the admissions department directly to ask about alternative offers. For some courses, they can do alternative offers with lower A-Level grades if you have an extra assessment (i.e. EPQ or STEP). This depends on the course, and on what extra assessment you take, but it's worth asking about anyways! I know for this course, the alternative offer is AAA plus a given grade in an extra assessment. It doesn't say if STEP is acceptable for this course, but you may as well ask! The contact details for admissions are:

[email protected]
+441225383019

All in all, it isn't wise to bank on getting in somewhere via clearing as it is so variable, so it would be better to try and improve your grades and to contact admissions about alternative offers.

I hope this has helped,
Jessica, a final year NatSci student
Avesta2003
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by University of Bath)
Hi there,

It honestly varies by year, so it isn't a good idea to bet on getting in somewhere via clearing. Courses only go into clearing if there are spaces remaining, and there is no guarantee that spaces will be available in a given year. The entry requirements for this course are A*AA, so they may only reduce the entry grades to AAA, and not down to AAB, if it did go into clearing. Essentially, there is no guarantee that the course will be in clearing, and no guarantee that the grades would be reduced so far as for you to get in. Clearing is highly variable and hard to give an answer on, unfortunately.

I would say the best thing to do, if you are set on Bath, would be to try and boost your grades. There are tonnes of resources online to help, such as Khan Academy - I used this throughout GCSE and A-Level, and still use it to study now at university, so it's a resource I highly recommend.

I would also suggest contacting the admissions department directly to ask about alternative offers. For some courses, they can do alternative offers with lower A-Level grades if you have an extra assessment (i.e. EPQ or STEP). This depends on the course, and on what extra assessment you take, but it's worth asking about anyways! I know for this course, the alternative offer is AAA plus a given grade in an extra assessment. It doesn't say if STEP is acceptable for this course, but you may as well ask! The contact details for admissions are:

[email protected]
+441225383019

All in all, it isn't wise to bank on getting in somewhere via clearing as it is so variable, so it would be better to try and improve your grades and to contact admissions about alternative offers.

I hope this has helped,
Hi Jessica, many thanks for your reply, but it was quite late! I ended up applying to Bath for CompSci + AI since I realised how amazing the course was. I am now only waiting on Bath and Cambridge... which are coincidentally my intended firm and insurance!
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Jessica, many thanks for your reply, but it was quite late! I ended up applying to Bath for CompSci + AI since I realised how amazing the course was. I am now only waiting on Bath and Cambridge... which are coincidentally my intended firm and insurance!
Hi again,

No problem, and apologies it was a bit late! We get so many posts we can't always see them immediately.

That's amazing that you ended up applying, and I wish you all the best with your applications!

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (435)
56.13%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise