The Student Room Group

No officers charged for killing Breonna Taylor

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Unless I'm missing context, this is appalling. I don't understand why US police are above the law in contexts like this.
Original post by Vapordave
Unless I'm missing context, this is appalling. I don't understand why US police are above the law in contexts like this.

The problem is that the laws don't exist in order to charge them. It is completely ****ed up.
Original post by DiddyDec
The problem is that the laws don't exist in order to charge them. It is completely ****ed up.

I had no idea. It definitely is.
https://youtu.be/kMiiN8_Rkck

The AG explains it here. He's black, I don't know if that will help reduce the chances of more rioting or not.
Apparently it wasn't a "no knock warrant". I don't know here that came from.
Original post by caravaggio2

The AG explains it here. He's black, I don't know if that will help reduce the chances of more rioting or not.

The warrant issued was a no knock warrant but they allegedly didn't execute it with no knock.
From what I gather from the news articles it seems like in the UK that would be manslaughter. But in Kentucky the right to self defence means that it can't be. It falls under self defence because her boyfriend shot at the cops first.

The dodgy part seems to be them going there in the first place in such a manner.. but then again her ex boyfriend was a convicted drug dealer who they thought was still operating there..

Tradgic loss of life, but the only racial part I can see is if they can demonstrait that the cops were racially targetting which houses to do drug raids on, not the actual shooting itself.
Original post by fallen_acorns
From what I gather from the news articles it seems like in the UK that would be manslaughter. But in Kentucky the right to self defence means that it can't be. It falls under self defence because her boyfriend shot at the cops first.

The dodgy part seems to be them going there in the first place in such a manner.. but then again her ex boyfriend was a convicted drug dealer who they thought was still operating there..

Tradgic loss of life, but the only racial part I can see is if they can demonstrait that the cops were racially targetting which houses to do drug raids on, not the actual shooting itself.

Pretty much this.

If the powers that be could jail them they would it suits contemporary politics to do so.
Two police officers shot last night by mostly peaceful Mob.

Completely agree.

He is also a Republican.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/25/us/politics/daniel-cameron-rnc-speech.html

The law is a little more complicated that that.

This article explains it well.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2020/08/08/why-it-s-not-so-simple-to-arrest-the-cops-who-shot-breonna-taylor
Reply 12

Doubt it, these days they just call such people race traitors, oreos (and a few other more unspeakable terms).
Original post by imlikeahermit
Dear god. He shot first. Do you miss that point? They didn’t shoot Rupert the Bear, they shot someone who shot first, with a vast criminal record. The fact she was caught in the crossfire is extremely unfortunate.

Can you link me to his "vast criminal record" as I can't find anything online to suggest this.

If unknown assailants were breaking down your door would you wait to be shot first?
Can you link me to his "vast criminal record" as I can't find anything online to suggest this.

If unknown assailants were breaking down your door would you wait to be shot first?

Apologies, I retract that comment. Vast is an oversight, however some links with possible drug dealing, and add to this the police had reason for a no knock search.

I couldn’t possibly comment on my actions to the second point.
I'm not on board with no knock warrants in a country with legally owned firearms and self defence laws. Then again its not the cops who invented the concept, they just follow orders using the information they're given.

I'm not sure how it comes down to the cops here, what should they have done differently?
Apologies, I retract that comment. Vast is an oversight, however some links with possible drug dealing, and add to this the police had reason for a no knock search.

I couldn’t possibly comment on my actions to the second point.

The warrant was for the ex-boyfriend that doesn't live there but was suspected to have been operating out of the property.

You could but you are choosing not to. Do you believe in the right to self defense?

Possibly not if that's how it happened, but witnesses said they knocked several times including shouting that they were the police and telling them to come to the door.
Dear god. He shot first. Do you miss that point? They didn’t shoot Rupert the Bear, they shot someone who shot first, with a vast criminal record. The fact she was caught in the crossfire is extremely unfortunate.

Lol i was kidding, I don’t believe in the death penalty. (I wouldn’t mind some riots though). I didn’t know being a drug dealer was a death sentence? What happened to innocent until proven guilty? He shot first with a legally owned firearm because he thought there were intruders in his home, perfectly normal reaction if you ask me. No knock warrants just don’t make sense
Original post by Napp
Remind me why you want some poor accountant, policy wonk and cleaner to be gunned down ? :s-smilie:
Or on the other hand do you mean you just want the thugs in the riots to be gunned down by the police and national guard? That being the end game of murdering innocents.

I was kidding, I want justice tbh, seems we won’t get it tho. I wouldn’t mind a few police stations getting burnt down though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending