JT4444
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This is not a question but some information, some people might be interested in if they are not too far through their application yet.

I recently passed my fitness test, near the beggining of September and have been in contact with the AFCO about the waiting times for OASC. The information is obviously subject to change and is only a rough timescale however if you are applying for the Pilot branch, expect to be waiting till April 2021 at the earliest for a date.

I reiterate, this is obviously subject to change and is only a gauge however it has come from my RAF AFCO themselves, and thus is not just speculation.

I hope this is informative to those wondering how long they may be waiting or wondering how much the pilot application holds were impacted by CV-19.
AscendingWings
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for this :yy: Looks like it's been pushed back further than I had been initially told, some months ago.
Turbo321
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JT4444)
This is not a question but some information, some people might be interested in if they are not too far through their application yet.

I recently passed my fitness test, near the beggining of September and have been in contact with the AFCO about the waiting times for OASC. The information is obviously subject to change and is only a rough timescale however if you are applying for the Pilot branch, expect to be waiting till April 2021 at the earliest for a date.

I reiterate, this is obviously subject to change and is only a gauge however it has come from my RAF AFCO themselves, and thus is not just speculation.

I hope this is informative to those wondering how long they may be waiting or wondering how much the pilot application holds were impacted by CV-19.
That might be because you are bottom of the pile when it comes to candidate pilots waiting for an OASC board.

You had your fitness test at the beginning of the month, but some candidates who are on the list for OASC, passed their fitness tests in January!

There will be tens, if not hundreds of potential pilots to pass through OASC between the first pilot board and yours!
Turbo321
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
RAF_Adam if true, this will be a bitter blow to many waiting for a board. Is there anything you can add to what the AFCO said to JT4444?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Turbo321)
RAF_Adam if true, this will be a bitter blow to many waiting for a board. Is there anything you can add to what the AFCO said to JT4444?
Not as bitter as blows have been for Pilots in the past...

And, to some extent, the RAF doesn't really mind. They know they'll always be oversubscribed for pilot applicants, they can get away with messing some around now.
Obviously they're not trying to mess people around, but it's an unfortunate consequence of both Covid and the ongoing backlog due to MFTS.
JT4444
Rep:
?
(Original post by Turbo321)
That might be because you are bottom of the pile when it comes to candidate pilots waiting for an OASC board.

You had your fitness test at the beginning of the month, but some candidates who are on the list for OASC, passed their fitness tests in January!

There will be tens, if not hundreds of potential pilots to pass through OASC between the first pilot board and yours!
I am not assuming I am at the front, the information is simply informative to, as I said above, those who are "not too far through their application yet". This is unlikely to be the case for others ahead of me on the timeline.
RAF_Adam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JT4444)

Hi

When did you actually submit your application? The entire application process for any role can take between 3-9 months, potentially longer for some, some Officer roles can be a year+ depending on slots for IOT and beyond etc. So this isn't specially different than normal, but you're being advised that due to the backlog there may be a delay.

I've not received anything with regards to timescales, I hardly ever do, because everyone's process is individual, that's why the timescale we give is so broad, we can't tell everyone their exact process times, it's impossible. It hinges on the individual just as much as the RAF etc.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
JT4444
Rep:
?
(Original post by RAF_Adam)
Hi

When did you actually submit your application? The entire application process for any role can take between 3-9 months, potentially longer for some, some Officer roles can be a year+ depending on slots for IOT and beyond etc. So this isn't specially different than normal, but you're being advised that due to the backlog there may be a delay.

I've not received anything with regards to timescales, I hardly ever do, because everyone's process is individual, that's why the timescale we give is so broad, we can't tell everyone their exact process times, it's impossible. It hinges on the individual just as much as the RAF etc.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
I understood it was a more global delay for those applying to pilot and on a similar timescale to me, having finished fitness only just recently. Here is the quote I am reading into:

"...due to the amount of people who are already in the pipeline awaiting for your Branch, it will be Apr 21 onwards before your OASC can be requested."

I first applied July 2019, however I had delays of my own that slowed down the process, it has not all been down to the RAF's availability to get to this stage.
AlphaTango
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This may be because we recruit per financial year.

If for example the RAF require 20 pilots in the year 2020-2021 and those slots have either been allocated or the OASC boards they will be allocated from have already planned.

Then due to your eligibility to OASC you may be joining the 2021-2022 pool of pilots where the required number for that financial year may be higher.

As there are already hundreds of pilots in the RAF holding for course places on MFTS which has been compounded by Covid impacting flying training in 2020. It is unfortunately having impacts on the recruitment process and timescales.

The RAF have also seen an increase in applicants for all roles due to COVID impacting the private sector.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.34%
I'm not sure (59)
4.68%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (369)
29.24%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.93%
I'm not a current university student (616)
48.81%

Watched Threads