dreading starting uni course

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Over the past few months I’ve started to dread starting my uni course. Looking through the modules nothing genuinely interests me, and I feel like I’ve chosen the wrong degree. I originally chose the subject because I was good at it at A-Level, and got an A* overall, but I’d rather study something that fits my interests.

I’m not sure how to go about this situation, I was planning to wait till teaching starts next month just to be sure I’m making the right decision to switch course, but I’m curious if it’s best to speak to an advisor and switch as soon as possible. I’ve done a lot of research recently into careers and courses and want to get into engineering, I’d have to take a foundation year but I’m fine with that

Does anyone have any advice?
Thank you
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think if you know what you want to do instead- i.e. engineering, then why wait? I would call the university and explore switching to the foundation course for it if there are spaces (seeing if there are spaces this year is probably your first aim). You've got to do what you really want to, and if you've found it that's great
Ki Yung Na
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Over the past few months I’ve started to dread starting my uni course. Looking through the modules nothing genuinely interests me, and I feel like I’ve chosen the wrong degree. I originally chose the subject because I was good at it at A-Level, and got an A* overall, but I’d rather study something that fits my interests.

I’m not sure how to go about this situation, I was planning to wait till teaching starts next month just to be sure I’m making the right decision to switch course, but I’m curious if it’s best to speak to an advisor and switch as soon as possible. I’ve done a lot of research recently into careers and courses and want to get into engineering, I’d have to take a foundation year but I’m fine with that

Does anyone have any advice?
Thank you
If engineering is what you want then engineering is better to switch to, do so quickly so that SFE don’t have any issues with your switching.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by historynerd47)
I think if you know what you want to do instead- i.e. engineering, then why wait? I would call the university and explore switching to the foundation course for it if there are spaces (seeing if there are spaces this year is probably your first aim). You've got to do what you really want to, and if you've found it that's great
Thanks for the advice, I’m going to call up my uni tomorrow and tell them my situation. Do you think it’s likely a foundation year would be full?
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks for the advice, I’m going to call up my uni tomorrow and tell them my situation. Do you think it’s likely a foundation year would be full?
No worries I genuinely don't know! I have heard drop out rates in general are a little higher this year due to covid, but can't say on your course. Worth a shot though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.43%
I'm not sure (59)
4.7%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (367)
29.27%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (610)
48.64%

Watched Threads