CyclinZH1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So given the new RTX 3000 series is coming out and absolutely destroying it in terms of value for money, what is the news on CPUs?

I have been following very loosely recommended CPUS all year and it is still the same ones (the high end have changed I believe, but in terms of mid range you still see the same suspects, i5 and ryzen 5).

Anyone know when development will come here? I think I read AMD is announcing new chips next week.

Also, PCIe4, necessary or not? Seems like for most people it isn't needed right now.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CyclinZH1)
Anyone know when development will come here? I think I read AMD is announcing new chips next week.
Yep, AMD have events planned for refreshes to their CPUs and GPUs. Intel have only recently launched 10 series CPUs for desktop, so we'll like just see new SKUs in that series for a while rather than anything entirely new.

Also, PCIe4, necessary or not? Seems like for most people it isn't needed right now.
The benchmarks I've seen so far indicate the performance gap is minimal for gaming right now given how few games come close to saturating the full bandwidth of PCIe 3.0 x16. I'd wager by the time a lack of PCIe gen 3 becomes a bottleneck worth worrying about, you wouldn't want to be using current gen hardware anyway. But PCIe4 will likely be in every consumer-level board being manufactured by this time next year, so fairly moot either way, we'll have it even if we don't need it.
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So given the new RTX 3000 series is coming out and absolutely destroying it in terms of value for money, what is the news on CPUs?

I have been following very loosely recommended CPUS all year and it is still the same ones (the high end have changed I believe, but in terms of mid range you still see the same suspects, i5 and ryzen 5).

Historically, there is ALWAYS something better just round the corner. At some point you have to bite the bullet and just build a system – in the sure knowledge that it will be out of date just about the time you pull the rip cord on the 1st Amazon package of bits. Just the nature of the beast I am afraid – if you keep waiting you miss out on having a perfectly decent machine to actually use / enjoy and it generally take 12-18 months for a serious delta in performance – factor of 2x or so that you might really notice.
CyclinZH1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
Historically, there is ALWAYS something better just round the corner. At some point you have to bite the bullet and just build a system – in the sure knowledge that it will be out of date just about the time you pull the rip cord on the 1st Amazon package of bits. Just the nature of the beast I am afraid – if you keep waiting you miss out on having a perfectly decent machine to actually use / enjoy and it generally take 12-18 months for a serious delta in performance – factor of 2x or so that you might really notice.
Of course, but there are better times than others. The release of the RTX 3000 series being one of them. I more or less have the other stuff, too, just depends now if there is a good CPU available or not, and as I said, it seems once you leave the high end, the same ones are being recommended as a year ago. That suggests something better should come soon-ish.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago

The new series of GPU Rx3000 Ampere has already been launched both the 3090 and 3080 FE cards You can see the reviews online.
The more mainstread cards will be the 3070 and 3060 plus there are ti versions being held ready.
The 3070 is mean to be on par with a 2080ti.
They are good crads, but nvidia has new versions ready to go.
The launches have been pretty much paper onesd with it being hard to get hold of any.
Expect the 3070 at the end of this mnonth or early next.

AMD is ready to launch ist reply with the RX 6000 series. Whether its as fast or faster only time will tell but competition is good and that should mean price cuts in the second hand and on previous gen cards. It is worth waiting. Such significant launches only happen between 24-36 months.
RX6000 is meant to launch c 15th -20th of Nov.

Before that Ryzen 5000 will be launching.20th -27th Oct. It may take Intels crown as the fastest gaming chip. Its going to be more expensive but will lower the price of chips on the 2nd hand market at least plus AMD continue selling previous gens.

PCIE4 pretty much no difference at the moment.
AcseI
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Of course, but there are better times than others. The release of the RTX 3000 series being one of them.
I'd argue that there's nothing particularly special about the 3000 launch. It just looks like such an amazing deal because the 2000 series was so much more expensive (to be expected of first gen RTX). It is of course a substantial bump in performance, but looking at previous product stacks they're not exceptionally good value. Statements like "2080Ti power at half the price" make them seem amazing, but the 2080Ti was a ridiculously expensive card to begin with.

Looking at things more holistically, now would actually be a terrible time to build. 3000 series cards are in short supply, and both new AMD CPUs and GPUs are just round the corner. But of course by the time any of these become widely available, we may not be far off from another release. Mr Wednesday is absolutely right, there's always something better coming up. I wouldn't rush to make a decision with AMD products due in less than a month, but I'd be making a decision before the end of the year or you'll forever be waiting.
CyclinZH1
Rep:
?
(Original post by AcseI)
I'd argue that there's nothing particularly special about the 3000 launch. It just looks like such an amazing deal because the 2000 series was so much more expensive (to be expected of first gen RTX). It is of course a substantial bump in performance, but looking at previous product stacks they're not exceptionally good value. Statements like "2080Ti power at half the price" make them seem amazing, but the 2080Ti was a ridiculously expensive card to begin with.

Looking at things more holistically, now would actually be a terrible time to build. 3000 series cards are in short supply, and both new AMD CPUs and GPUs are just round the corner. But of course by the time any of these become widely available, we may not be far off from another release. Mr Wednesday is absolutely right, there's always something better coming up. I wouldn't rush to make a decision with AMD products due in less than a month, but I'd be making a decision before the end of the year or you'll forever be waiting.
Yes but then you implicitly say that half a year ago was an even worse time, because 2000 series was overpriced. And of course, I am not buying right now, I will wait out the AMD releases and pull the trigger as a (early) xmas present to myself.
AcseI
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes but then you implicitly say that half a year ago was an even worse time, because 2000 series was overpriced.
I'm just saying that it's less of a "now is good" and more of a "then was bad".
CyclinZH1
Rep:
?
(Original post by AcseI)
I'm just saying that it's less of a "now is good" and more of a "then was bad".
Maybe but as said above, the next best thing is always around the corner, so buying when you kind of need to but at a time where Nvidia just brought out a new series gpu and AMD will for both CPU and GPU seems like as good a time as any.
AcseI
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Maybe but as said above, the next best thing is always around the corner, so buying when you kind of need to but at a time where Nvidia just brought out a new series gpu and AMD will for both CPU and GPU seems like as good a time as any.
Well yes, although as mentioned above "now", as in right now today, is a bad time to buy. But that's not really the point I was making. My point was purely about how the 30 series launch is being considered amazing, when in reality it's good but looks amazing when compared to the 20 series. I'm literally just communicating the difference between "now is good" vs "then was bad", not using that as an argument for why you should or should not buy now. I provided that point separately on purpose.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.83%
I'm not sure (32)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.3%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (329)
47.89%

Watched Threads