justme6263
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi all,

I am applying to study Radiotherapy at university 21/22 intake. I have a question regarding some previous convictions and cautions I have.

I have a caution from 2012 for common assault, one conditional caution from 2016 for attempted burglary (I didn’t actually attempt to burgle the house, I’ll explain later) and a criminal conviction for common assault in 2015 where I received a community service order and a 3 month sentence suspended for 12 months.

Now some background. I was an alcoholic and drug addict at the time of all the convictions. The common assault caution in 2012 was an incident when I was drunk and got into a fight in a bar (I don’t remember the details as I was black out drunk), the caution for attempted burglary in 2016 I was high on crack cocaine and LSD and thought my bf was inside a house and smashed a window to get to him. He wasn’t. Lastly the conviction for common assault in 2015 I was again drunk and high on drugs.

I am now sober and have been since late 2016, I regularly attend NA and AA twelve step groups, I’ve not been in the police system since then. These convictions and cautions are most definitely related to my struggles with addiction, I’m fully confident I could articulate why these things occurred and how I feel about them now and how I have learnt from those incidents.

My question is, are there one too many incidents to make it worthwhile even applying?

Thanks.
Last edited by justme6263; 6 months ago
justme6263
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Just to bump this as I've been unable to find any information or advise. Also due to covid I will be applying to study 22/23.

Really any advise at all would be very helpful.
HellomynameisNev
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Best thing I can suggest is to contact the admissions tutor at wherever you are thinking of applying to. You need to get an enhanced DBS when you start the course.
peach927
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi, definitely recommend contacting some university admin teams -they usually reply quite swiftly (as stated above). And their may be some exceptions where they could take you in so please do email/phone in.

All the best.
justme6263
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi, thank you both for your replies and advice. I've now been in touch with a few addmissions departments and will see how they think I should proceed. I really seriously hope it will be seen in the context it all happened, I'm by no means trying to disown what I did and I accept fully the responsibility for my actions and the consequences for what happened. I know it sounds like a cliche but that man is feels so alien to me now I am sober and working a programme, I'd be gutted if those events meant I wasn't able to move forward with this course.

I'll update when I have received advice from unis just in case it might help anybody else.

Thanks again.
HellomynameisNev
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by justme6263)
Hi, thank you both for your replies and advice. I've now been in touch with a few addmissions departments and will see how they think I should proceed. I really seriously hope it will be seen in the context it all happened, I'm by no means trying to disown what I did and I accept fully the responsibility for my actions and the consequences for what happened. I know it sounds like a cliche but that man is feels so alien to me now I am sober and working a programme, I'd be gutted if those events meant I wasn't able to move forward with this course.

I'll update when I have received advice from unis just in case it might help anybody else.

Thanks again.
Good luck mate, let us know how you get on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.67%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.89%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (60)
26.67%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (44)
19.56%

Watched Threads