Strictly Come Dancing 2020 - Series 18 thread

Watch
TheSagittarius
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I don't believe that there is a thread for this so I'll start one.

9 week series this year starting in one month (October 24th).

Cast is:
Maisie Smith - 19 - EastEnders actress
HRVY - 21 - Singer & CBBC presenter
Jamie Laing - 31 - Made in Chelsea star
Max George - 32 - The Wanted singer
JJ Chalmers - 33 - Army veteran & TV presenter
Clara Amfo - 36 - BBC Radio 1 DJ
Nicola Adams - 37 - Olympic boxer (dancing with a female pro)
Jason Bell - 42 - NFL footballer, American football pundit & Nadine Coyle's ex
Ranvir Singh - 43 - Good Morning Britain presenter
Bill Bailey - 55 - Comedian
Jacqui Smith - 58 - Former Labour politician (Blair/Brown era)
Caroline Quentin - 60 - Actress

Looking forward to it? I can't wait - it will be a nice escape from the real world.

To keep you waiting until it starts - here is Carole Baskin (!!) dancing on the American version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5MUPfuaUok
Last edited by TheSagittarius; 4 weeks ago
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm excited for it! It feels weird that it's starting so late, but it makes sense. I'm interested to see how it will look and what changes they've had to make. I'm glad they let Jamie Laing back in, I felt sorry for him last year. Also feel a bit sorry for all the contestants really as they aren't getting as much time as other years would to learn and improve, but I suppose that would be reflected in the judge's comments as the weeks go on, they wouldn't expect the celebs to be as skilled as other years later on in the competition.
pepsimaxcherry
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m excited!

However I think the lineup is a bit rubbish this year

I mean they’ve really picked some smaller names like the NFL player. I’m sure he’s lovely and will do great but nobody really knows who he is which will limit his votes.

I think the lineup could’ve been better but I’m still excited
TheSagittarius
Rep:
?
(Original post by pepsimaxcherry)
I’m excited!

However I think the lineup is a bit rubbish this year

I mean they’ve really picked some smaller names like the NFL player. I’m sure he’s lovely and will do great but nobody really knows who he is which will limit his votes.

I think the lineup could’ve been better but I’m still excited
There are some decent names - Caroline & Bill are kinda high profile for SCD, as is Nicola Adams. Max from The Wanted is a reasonable get as is Maisie Smith for the obligatory soap star. HRVY isn't known among older audiences but he has a decent youth following on SM and has done a fair few things so I'd call him a good signing for the youth audience. Clara is reasonable for the radio spot.

Weaker signings this year are Jason, JJ, Jamie, Ranvir & maybe Jacqui although she was a decent name a few years ago and is hardly a Z Lister. NFL players do well on DWTS in America so I have hope that Jason could be a good mover even if he's barely known. JJ isn't a big name and if we're being real, is only there to fulfil the BBC's requirement for one disabled contestant a year although I am excited to see his journey. Jamie isn't a good signing in terms of profile but I suppose he deserved a 2nd chance and he might be fun. Ranvir seems nice but not one of the high profile ones from ITV.

Lineup isn't fantastic but miles better than the bottom of the barrel lineup from last year where they actually signed up Z-listers like Saffron, Jamie (before he dropped out) & The Viscountess, relative unknowns like Karim and those who weren't exactly mainstream (Michelle & Will) plus there was an absence of dance ability (only really a few decent ones) or personality (hence why Chris Ramsey finished 4th place). And some of the larger names like Anneka & James Cracknell were total duds in the personality and dance department. Last year was just a disastrous series all around.
TheSagittarius
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
I'm excited for it! It feels weird that it's starting so late, but it makes sense. I'm interested to see how it will look and what changes they've had to make. I'm glad they let Jamie Laing back in, I felt sorry for him last year. Also feel a bit sorry for all the contestants really as they aren't getting as much time as other years would to learn and improve, but I suppose that would be reflected in the judge's comments as the weeks go on, they wouldn't expect the celebs to be as skilled as other years later on in the competition.
Other versions of the show only tend to be around 10 weeks so it might not be too bad in terms of the celebs improving and they will be less likely to burn out as they would in a 13 week series. Some of these ones also have dance experience - some high ability ringers (Maisie, HRVY) and to a lesser extent, (Max, Jamie, Caroline) along with some potential dark horses (Jason, Nicola, Clara) so regardless of it being a shorter series, I reckon it could be a high standard.

With it being shorter, I hope they ditch the Couples Choice. Nobody likes it and it would be a waste of time in a shorter series.
TheSagittarius
Rep:
?
My ideal pairings:
Bill Bailey & Oti
HRVY & Katya
Jamie Laing & Nancy
Jason Bell & Luba
JJ Chalmers & Karen
Max George & Dianne
(no partner for Amy or Nadiya)

Nicola Adams & Janette

Jacqui Smith & Aljaž
Maisie Smith & Gorka
Ranvir Singh & Giovanni
With Clara & Caroline, it depends on which pros are being benched TBH. Hopefully neither get Anton. One of them with Johannes please.
Last edited by TheSagittarius; 4 weeks ago
TheSagittarius
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Carole Baskin got eliminated last night from the American version with Tyrant Banks.

Here is her attempt at the Samba:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ModWex5q_Q
TheSagittarius
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Launch show is being filmed today and will be broadcast on Saturday!

FINALLY the show is back.
TheSagittarius
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
7.50pm tonight people!
TheSagittarius
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Who's watching?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.93%
I'm not sure (16)
3.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.48%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.58%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed