Biochemphy Hope
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi guys, I need your help. I can't figure out bow to do this Q:
200 moles of ammonia and 600 moles of oxygen are placed in a reactor at 600 K and a pressure of 500 KPa. At equilibrium, 100 moles of nitrogen ii oxide have formed.
Calculate a value for the equilibrium constant, Kp, including units, for this equilibrium. give your answer to an appropriate number of significant figures.
Crunch_chemistry
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Follow the steps as for any Kp calculation. Start with a balanced equation - clearly the reaction does not only produce NO, it also produces water. At 600K water will be a gas so is included in writing an expression for Kp. From the balanced equation you can work out the actual number of moles of water produced (use the ratio of NO to H2O). Work out the partial pressures for each gas (no. of mol of each gas divided by total no. of mol of gas, answer multiplied by 500 kPa). Substitute partial pressures into expression for Kp, remember to raise each to the appropriate power as per your balanced equation. Plug into calculator. Determine units from Kp expression.
Biochemphy Hope
Rep:
?
(Original post by Crunch_chemistry)
Follow the steps as for any Kp calculation. Start with a balanced equation - clearly the reaction does not only produce NO, it also produces water. At 600K water will be a gas so is included in writing an expression for Kp. From the balanced equation you can work out the actual number of moles of water produced (use the ratio of NO to H2O). Work out the partial pressures for each gas (no. of mol of each gas divided by total no. of mol of gas, answer multiplied by 500 kPa). Substitute partial pressures into expression for Kp, remember to raise each to the appropriate power as per your balanced equation. Plug into calculator. Determine units from Kp expression.
thank you sooo much Crunch_chemistry
hello9612
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Biochemphy Hope)
Hi guys, I need your help. I can't figure out bow to do this Q:
200 moles of ammonia and 600 moles of oxygen are placed in a reactor at 600 K and a pressure of 500 KPa. At equilibrium, 100 moles of nitrogen ii oxide have formed.
Calculate a value for the equilibrium constant, Kp, including units, for this equilibrium. give your answer to an appropriate number of significant figures.
Use pv=nrt
Biochemphy Hope
Rep:
?
(Original post by hello9612)
Use pv=nrt
I will try both the method and will let you know by today evening
Biochemphy Hope
Rep:
?
Hi Crunch_chemistry, I've got an answer of 4.36x10 ^-3 KPa. for the mol of water I've got 150 mol. Is it right?
Biochemphy Hope
Rep:
?
I do well in these questions, I will get a very good predicted grade. So pls Crunch_chemistry can you help me?
I also need help with this last Q

A sample of phosphorus (v) chloride, PCl^5, is heated in a closed system with volume 12.0 dm^3. The mixture reaches an equilibrium described by the following equation: PCl^5= PCl^3+Cl^2
a) the pressure is increased. Describe and explain the effect on the amount of chlorine present at equilibrium.
b) At 520K, the Kc value is 0.202 dm^3 mol^-1.
the equilibrium amount of Cl^2 is found to be 0.0900 mol.
Calculate the amount of PCl^5 present in the 12.0 dm^3 container at equilibrium. Give you answer to an appropriate number of significant figures.
Crunch_chemistry
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Biochemphy Hope)
Hi Crunch_chemistry, I've got an answer of 4.36x10 ^-3 KPa. for the mol of water I've got 150 mol. Is it right?
That's what I got so I hope so! And it is in the right region for a Kp calculation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (107)
13.53%
I'm not sure (36)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (242)
30.59%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.4%
I'm not a current university student (387)
48.93%

Watched Threads